This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. PJ Lioy , P. Georgopoulos The anatomy of the exposures that occurred around the World Trade Center site: 9/11 and beyond. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2006;1076:54–79.
2. M Lorber , H Gibb , L Grant , J Pinto , J Pleil , D. Cleverly Assessment of inhalation exposures and potential health risks to the general population that resulted from the collapse of the World Trade Center towers. Risk Anal. 2007;27 (5):1203–1221.
3. PJ Landrigan , PJ Lioy , G Thurston NIEHS World Trade Center Working Group. Health and environmental consequences of the world trade center disaster. Environ Health Perspect. 2004;112 (6):731–739.
4. JK McGee , LC Chen , MD. Cohen Chemical analysis of World Trade Center fine particulate matter for use in toxicologic assessment. Environ Health Perspect. 2003;111 (7):972–980.
5. SI Berríos-Torres , JA Greenko , M Phillips , JR Miller , T Treadwell , RM. Ikeda World Trade Center rescue worker injury and illness surveillance, New York, 2001. Am J Prev Med. 2003;25 (2):79–87.
8. DJ Prezant , M Weiden , GI. Banauch Cough and bronchial responsiveness in firefighters at the World Trade Center site. N Engl J Med. 2002;347 (11):806–815.
9. MP Webber , J Gustave , R. Lee Trends in respiratory symptoms of firefighters exposed to the world trade center disaster: 2001-2005. Environ Health Perspect. 2009;117 (6):975–980.
10. GI Banauch , D Alleyne , R. Sanchez Persistent hyperreactivity and reactive airway dysfunction in firefighters at the World Trade Center. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2003;168 (1):54–62.
11. GI Banauch , C Hall , M. Weiden Pulmonary function after exposure to the World Trade Center collapse in the New York City Fire Department. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2006;174 (3):312–319.
12. SH Salzman , FM Moosavy , JA Miskoff , P Friedmann , G Fried , MJ. Rosen Early respiratory abnormalities in emergency services police officers at the World Trade Center site. J Occup Environ Med. 2004;46 (2):113–122.
13. LV Buyantseva , M Tulchinsky , GM. Kapalka Evolution of lower respiratory symptoms in New York police officers after 9/11: a prospective longitudinal study. J Occup Environ Med. 2007;49 (3):310–317.
14. G Skloot , M Goldman , D. Fischler Respiratory symptoms and physiologic assessment of ironworkers at the World Trade Center disaster site. Chest. 2004;125 (4):1248–1255.
15. XG Tao , J Massa , L Ashwell , K Davis , M Schwab , A. Geyh The world trade center clean up and recovery worker cohort study: respiratory health amongst cleanup workers approximately 20 months after initial exposure at the disaster site. J Occup Environ Med. 2007;49 (10):1063–1072.
17. K Wheeler , W McKelvey , L. Thorpe Asthma diagnosed after 11 September 2001 among rescue and recovery workers: findings from the World Trade Center Health Registry. Environ Health Perspect. 2007;115 (11):1584–1590.
18. MX Wu , RE Gordon , R. Herbert Case report: Lung disease in World Trade Center responders exposed to dust and smoke: carbon nanotubes found in the lungs of World Trade Center patients and dust samples. Environ Health Perspect. 2010;118 (4):499–504.
19. WN Rom , M Weiden , R. Garcia Acute eosinophilic pneumonia in a New York City firefighter exposed to World Trade Center dust. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2002;166 (6):797–800.
20. JM Mann , KK Sha , G Kline , FU Breuer , A. Miller World Trade Center dyspnea: bronchiolitis obliterans with functional improvement: a case report. Am J Ind Med. 2005;48 (3):225–229.
21. B Bowers , S Hasni , BL. Gruber Sarcoidosis in World Trade Center rescue workers presenting with rheumatologic manifestations. J Clin Rheumatol. 2010;16 (1):26–27.
22. G Izbicki , R Chavko , GI. Banauch World Trade Center “sarcoid-like” granulomatous pulmonary disease in New York City Fire Department rescue workers. Chest. 2007;131 (5):1414–1423.
23. LE Crowley , R Herbert , JM. Moline “Sarcoid like” granulomatous pulmonary disease in World Trade Center disaster responders. Am J Ind Med. 2011;54 (3):175–184.
24. RE de la Hoz , MR Shohet , R. Chasan Occupational toxicant inhalation injury: the World Trade Center (WTC) experience. Int Arch Occup Environ Health. 2008;81 (4):479–485.
25. RE de la Hoz , MR Shohet , JP Wisnivesky , LA Bienenfeld , AA Afilaka , R. Herbert Atopy and upper and lower airway disease among former World Trade Center workers and volunteers. J Occup Environ Med. 2009;51 (9):992–995.
26. TK Aldrich , J Gustave , CB. Hall Lung function in rescue workers at the World Trade Center after 7 years. N Engl J Med. 2010;362 (14):1263–1272.
27. MD Weiden , N Ferrier , A. Nolan Obstructive airways disease with air trapping among firefighters exposed to World Trade Center dust. Chest. 2010;137 (3):566–574.
28. GS Skloot , CB Schechter , R. Herbert Longitudinal assessment of spirometry in the World Trade Center medical monitoring program. Chest. 2009;135 (2):492–498.
29. MP Mauer , KR Cummings , GA. Carlson Health effects in New York State personnel who responded to the World Trade Center disaster. J Occup Environ Med. 2007;49 (11):1197–1205.
30. MP Mauer , ML Herdt-Losavio , GA. Carlson Asthma and lower respiratory symptoms in New York State employees who responded to the World Trade Center disaster. Int Arch Occup Environ Health. 2010;83 (1):21–27.
31. MP Mauer , KR Cummings , R. Hoen Long-term respiratory symptoms in World Trade Center responders. Occup Med (Lond). 2010;60 (2):145–151.
32. ML Herdt-Losavio , MP Mauer , GA. Carlson Development of an exposure assessment method for epidemiological studies of New York State personnel who responded to the World Trade Center disaster. Ann Occup Hyg. 2008;52 (2):83–93.
33. MP Mauer , KR. Cummings Impulse oscillometry and respiratory symptoms in World Trade Center responders, 6 years post-9/11. Lung. 2010;188 (2):107–113.
34. M Farfel , L DiGrande , R. Brackbill An overview of 9/11 experiences and respiratory and mental health conditions among World Trade Center Health Registry enrollees. J Urban Health. 2008;85 (6):880–909.
35. RM Brackbill , JL Hadler , L. DiGrande Asthma and posttraumatic stress symptoms 5 to 6 years following exposure to the World Trade Center terrorist attack. JAMA. 2009;302 (5):502–516.
36. JB Herbstman , R Frank , M. Schwab Respiratory effects of inhalation exposure among workers during the clean-up effort at the World Trade Center disaster site. Environ Res. 2005;99 (1):85–92.
39. J Murphy , RM Brackbill , L Thalji , M Dolan , P Pulliam , DJ. Walker Measuring and maximizing coverage in the World Trade Center Health Registry. Stat Med. 2007;26 (8):1688–1701.
40. DA Savitz , RT Oxman , KB. Metzger Epidemiologic research on man-made disasters: strategies and implications of cohort definition for World Trade Center worker and volunteer surveillance program. Mt Sinai J Med. 2008;75 (2):77–87.
41. DM Feldman , SL Baron , BP. Bernard Symptoms, respirator use, and pulmonary function changes among New York City firefighters responding to the World Trade Center disaster. Chest. 2004;125 (4):1256–1264.
42. PJ Lioy , CP Weisel , JR. Millette Characterization of the dust/smoke aerosol that settled east of the World Trade Center (WTC) in lower Manhattan after the collapse of the WTC 11 September 2001. Environ Health Perspect. 2002;110 (7):703–714.
44. AS Geyh , S Chillrud , DL. Williams Assessing truck driver exposure at the World Trade Center disaster site: personal and area monitoring for particulate matter and volatile organic compounds during October 2001 and April 2002. J Occup Environ Hyg. 2005;2 (3):179–193.
45. SM Brooks , MA Weiss , IL. Bernstein Reactive airways dysfunction syndrome (RADS). Persistent asthma syndrome after high level irritant exposures. Chest. 1985;88 (3):376–384.
46. T Truncale , SM Brooks , DJ Prezant , GI Banauch , B. Nemery World Trade Center dust and airway reactivity. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2004;169 (7):883–884, author reply 884-885.
47. DM. Mannino COPD: epidemiology, prevalence, morbidity and mortality, and disease heterogeneity. Chest. 2002;121 5(Suppl)121S–126S.
48. S Cohen , D Janicki-Deverts , GE. Miller Psychological stress and disease. JAMA. 2007;298 (14):1685–1687.
49. JM Stellman , RP Smith , CL. Katz Enduring mental health morbidity and social function impairment in world trade center rescue, recovery, and cleanup workers: the psychological dimension of an environmental health disaster. Environ Health Perspect. 2008;116 (9):1248–1253.
50. CB Bills , N Dodson , JM. Stellman Stories behind the symptoms: a qualitative analysis of the narratives of 9/11 rescue and recovery workers. Psychiatr Q. 2009;80 (3):173–189.
52. MA Perrin , L DiGrande , K Wheeler , L Thorpe , M Farfel , R. Brackbill Differences in PTSD prevalence and associated risk factors among World Trade Center disaster rescue and recovery workers. Am J Psychiatry. 2007;164 (9):1385–1394.