This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. FL Ferreira , DP Bota , A Bross , C Mélot , JL. Vincent Serial evaluation of the SOFA score to predict outcome in critically ill patients. JAMA. 2001;286 (14):1754–1758.
2. JL Vincent , R Moreno , J Takala , et alThe SOFA (sepsis-related organ failure assessment) score to describe organ dysfunction/failure. On behalf of the Working Group on Sepsis-Related Problems of the European Society of Intensive Care Medicine. Intensive Care Med. 1996;22 (7):707–710.
3. L Cabré , J Mancebo , JF Solsona , et aland the Bioethics Working Group of the SEMICYUC. Multicenter study of the multiple organ dysfunction syndrome in intensive care units: the usefulness of Sequential Organ Failure Assessment scores in decision making. Intensive Care Med. 2005;31 (7):927–933.
4. JL Hick , DT. O’Laughlin Concept of operations for triage of mechanical ventilation in an epidemic. Acad Emerg Med. 2006;13 (2):223–229.
5. MD Christian , L Hawryluck , RS Wax , et alDevelopment of a triage protocol for critical care during an influenza pandemic. CMAJ. 2006;175 (11):1377–1381.
7. AV Devereaux , JR Dichter , MD Christian , et alTask Force for Mass Critical Care. Definitive care for the critically ill during a disaster: a framework for allocation of scarce resources in mass critical care: from a Task Force for Mass Critical Care summit meeting, January 26-27, 2007, Chicago, IL. Chest. 2008;133 5(Suppl)51S–66S.
9. TW Rice , AP Wheeler , GR Bernard , DL Hayden , DA Schoenfeld , LB Ware for the National Institutes of Health, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute ARDS Network. Comparison of the SpO2/FIO2 ratio and the PaO2/FIO2 ratio in patients with acute lung injury or ARDS. Chest. 2007;132 (2):410–417.
10. PP Pandharipande , AK Shintani , HE Hagerman , et alDerivation and validation of SpO2/FiO2 ratio to impute for PaO2/FiO2 ratio in the respiratory component of the Sequential Organ Failure Assessment score. Crit Care Med. 2009;37 (4):1317–1321.
11. ER DeLong , DM DeLong , DL. Clarke-Pearson Comparing the areas under two or more correlated receiver operating characteristic curves: a nonparametric approach. Biometrics. 1988;44 (3):837–845.
12. B Efron , RJ. Tibshirani Improvements on cross-validation: the. 632+ bootstrap method. J Am Stat Assoc. 1997;92:548–560.
14. G Chowell , SM Bertozzi , MA Colchero , et alSevere respiratory disease concurrent with the circulation of H1N1 influenza. N Engl J Med. 2009;361 (7):674–679.
15. R Perez-Padilla , D de la Rosa-Zamboni , S Ponce de Leon , et alINER Working Group on Influenza. Pneumonia and respiratory failure from swine-origin influenza A (H1N1) in Mexico. N Engl J Med. 2009;361 (7):680–689.
17. Y Arabi , CD Gomersall , QA Ahmed , BR Boynton , ZA. Memish The critically ill avian influenza A (H5N1) patient. Crit Care Med. 2007;35 (5):1397–1403.
19. PC Gruber , CD Gomersall , GM. Joynt Avian influenza (H5N1): implications for intensive care. Intensive Care Med. 2006;32 (6):823–829.
20. JG. Bartlett Planning for avian influenza. Ann Intern Med. 2006;145 (2):141–144.
21. D Talmor , AE Jones , L Rubinson , MD Howell , NI. Shapiro Simple triage scoring system predicting death and the need for critical care resources for use during epidemics. Crit Care Med. 2007;35 (5):1251–1256.
23. JR Le Gall , S Lemeshow , G Leleu , et alIntensive Care Unit Scoring Group. Customized probability models for early severe sepsis in adult intensive care patients. JAMA. 1995;273 (8):644–650.
24. S Lemeshow , JR. Le Gall Modeling the severity of illness of ICU patients. A systems update. JAMA. 1994;272 (13):1049–1055.
25. A Garner , A Lee , K Harrison , CH. Schultz Comparative analysis of multiple-casualty incident triage algorithms. Ann Emerg Med. 2001;38 (5):541–548.
26. MD Christian , GM Joynt , JL Hick , J Colvin , M Danis , CL Sprung European Society of Intensive Care Medicine's Task Force for intensive care unit triage during an influenza epidemic or mass disaster. Chapter 7. Critical care triage. Recommendations and standard operating procedures for intensive care unit and hospital preparations for an influenza epidemic or mass disaster. Intensive Care Med. 2010;36(Suppl 1)S55–S64.
28. MD Christian , C Hamielec , NM Lazar , et alA retrospective cohort pilot study to evaluate a triage tool for use in a pandemic. Crit Care. 2009;13 (5):R17019874595.
29. Z Khan , J Hulme , N. Sherwood An assessment of the validity of SOFA score based triage in H1N1 critically ill patients during an influenza pandemic. Anaesthesia. 2009;64 (12):1283–1288.
30. T Guest , G Tantam , N Donlin , K Tantam , H McMillan , A. Tillyard An observational cohort study of triage for critical care provision during pandemic influenza: ‘clipboard physicians’ or ‘evidence based medicine’? Anaesthesia. 2009;64 (11):1199–1206.
31. MD Christian , CE Sandrock , A Devereaux , J Geiling , DE Amundson , L. Rubinson Ethical issues and the allocation of scarce resources during a public health emergency. Ann Intern Med. 2009;150 (12):890–891,author reply 891-89219528573.
32. DB White , MH Katz , JM Luce , B. Lo Who should receive life support during a public health emergency? Using ethical principles to improve allocation decisions. Ann Intern Med. 2009;150 (2):132–138.
33. SL. Fink Worst case: rethinking tertiary triage protocols in pandemics and other health emergencies. Crit Care. 2010;14 (1):10320122291.