This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. CK Olson , Epidemiology of Campylobacter jejuni infections in industrialized nations. In: I Nachamkin , CM Szymanski and MJ Blaser , eds. Campylobacter, 3rd edn. Washington DC: ASM Press, 2008, pp. 163–189.
3. MN Swartz . Human diseases caused by foodborne pathogens of animal origin. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2002; 34 (Suppl. 3): S111–S122.
4.European Food Safety Authority, European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control. The European Union summary report on trends and sources of zoonoses, zoonotic agents and food-borne outbreaks in 2010. EFSA Journal 2012; 10: 2597.
5. JA Haagsma , Disease burden of post-infectious irritable bowel syndrome in The Netherlands. Epidemiology and Infection 2010; 138: 1–7.
6. M Thabane , JK Marshall . Post-infectious irritable bowel syndrome. World Journal of Gastroenterology 2009; 15: 3591–3596.
8. MJ Blaser , J Engberg . Clinical aspects of Campylobacter jejuni and Campylobacter coli infections. In: I Nachamkin , CM Szymanski and MJ Blaser , eds. Campylobacter, 3rd edn.Washington DC: ASM Press, 2008, pp. 99–121.
RL Scharff . Economic burden from health losses due to foodborne illness in the United States. Journal of Food Protection
2012; 75: 123–131.
11. A Gupta , Antimicrobial resistance among Campylobacter strains, United States, 1997–2001. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2004; 10: 1102–1109.
12. RL Guerrant , Practice guidelines for the management of infectious diarrhea. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2001; 32: 331–351.
14. G Kapperud , Clinical features of sporadic Campylobacter infections in Norway. Scandinavian Journal of Infectious Diseases 1992; 24: 741–749.
15. A Ternhag , A meta-analysis on the effects of antibiotic treatment on duration of symptoms caused by infection with Campylobacter species. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2007; 44: 696–700.
19. J Engberg , Quinolone and macrolide resistance in Campylobacter jejuni and C. coli: resistance mechanisms and trends in human isolates. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2001; 7: 24–34.
20. A King , I Phillips . A comparison of the in-vitro activity of clarithromycin, a new macrolide antibiotic, with erythromycin and other oral agents. Journal of Hospital Infection 1991; 19 (Suppl. A): 3–9.
22.The Campylobacter Sentinel Surveillance Scheme Collaborators. Ciprofloxacin resistance in Campylobacter jejuni: case-case analysis as a tool for elucidating risks at home and abroad. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy 2002; 50: 561–568.
24. BK Mandal , Double-blind placebo-controlled trial of erythromycin in the treatment of clinical Campylobacter infection. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy 1984; 13: 619–623.
P Effler ,
Sporadic Campylobacter jejuni infections in Hawaii: associations with prior antibiotic use and commercially prepared chicken. Journal of Infectious Diseases
2001; 183: 1152–1155.
33. KE Smith , Quinolone-resistant Campylobacter jejuni infections in Minnesota, 1992–1998. New England Journal of Medicine 1999; 340: 1525–1532.
34. JM Nelson , Prolonged diarrhea due to ciprofloxacin-resistant Campylobacter infection. Journal of Infectious Diseases 2004; 190: 1150–1157.
35. J Engberg , Quinolone-resistant Campylobacter infections in Denmark: risk factors and clinical consequences. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2004; 10: 1056–1063.
MR Evans ,
Short-term and medium-term clinical outcomes of quinolone-resistant Campylobacter infection. Clinical Infectious Diseases
2009; 48: 1500–1506.
37. MS Dryden , RJ Gabb , SK Wright . Empirical treatment of severe acute community-acquired gastroenteritis with ciprofloxacin. Clinical Infectious Diseases 1996; 22: 1019–1025.
38. BD Kirkpatrick . Infectious diarrhea. In: C Grace , ed. Medical Management of Infectious Disease. New York: Marcel Dekker Inc., 2003, pp. 437.
39. MA Kaplan , Loperamide-simethicone vs loperamide alone, simethicone alone, and placebo in the treatment of acute diarrhea with gas-related abdominal discomfort. A randomized controlled trial. Archives of Family Medicine 1999; 8: 243–248.
40. ST Li , DC Grossman , P Cummings . Loperamide therapy for acute diarrhea in children: systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS Medicine 2007; 4: e98.