This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. AY Peleg , H Seifert , DL Paterson . Acinetobacter baumannii: emergence of a successful pathogen. Clinical Microbiology Reviews 2008; 21: 538–582.
2. J Garnacho-Montero , Treatment of multidrug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii ventilator-associated pneumonia (VAP) with intravenous colistin: a comparison with imipenem-susceptible VAP. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2003; 36: 1111–1118.
5. C Tascini , Evaluation of the activities of two-drug combinations of rifampicin, polymyxin B and ampicillin/sulbactam against Acinetobacter baumannii. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy 1998; 42: 270–271.
6. JY Song , In vitro activities of carbapenem/sulbactam combination, colistin, colistin/rifampicin combination and tigecycline against carbapenem-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy 2007; 60: 317–322.
7. F Timurkaynak , In vitro activities of non-traditional antimicrobials alone or in combination against multidrug-resistant strains of Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Acinetobacter baumannii isolated from intensive care units. International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents 2006; 27: 224–228.
8. AP Zavascki , Polymyxin B for the treatment of multidrug-resistant pathogens: a critical review. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy 2007; 60: 1206–1215.
9. WA Knaus , APACHE II: a severity of disease classification system. Critical Care Medicine 1985; 13: 818–829.
10. JL Vincent , The SOFA (sepsis-related organ failure assessment) score to describe organ dysfunction/failure. On behalf of the working group on sepsis-related problems of the European Society of Intensive Care Medicine. Intensive Care Medicine 1996; 22: 707–710.
11. S Motaouakkil , Colistin and rifampicin in the treatment of nosocomial infections from multiresistant Acinetobacter baumannii. Journal of Infection 2006; 53: 274–278.
12.American Thoracic Society. Guidelines for the management of adults with hospital-acquired, ventilator-associated, and healthcare-associated pneumonia: 2005, 15 February 2005. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 2005; 171: 388–416.
17. A Rementeria , Comparative evaluation of three commercial software packages for analysis of DNA polymorphism patterns. Clinical Microbiology and Infection 2001; 7: 331–336.
19. H Kallel , Safety and efficacy of colistin compared with imipenem in the treatment of ventilator-associated pneumonia: a matched case-control study. Intensive Care Medicine 2007; 33: 1162–1167.
20. M Bassetti , Colistin and rifampicin in the treatment of multidrug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii infections. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy 2008; 61: 417–420.
21. N Petrosillo , Combined colistin and rifampicin therapy for carbapenem-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii infections: clinical outcome and adverse events. Clinical Microbiology and Infection 2005; 11: 682–683.
22. AS Levin , Intravenous colistin as therapy for nosocomial infections caused by multidrug-resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Acinetobacter baumannii. Clinical Infectious Diseases 1999; 28: 1008–1011.
23. G Acocella . Clinical pharmacokinetics of rifampicin. Clinical Pharmacokinetics 1978; 3: 108–127.
24. U Loos , Pharmacokinetics of oral and intravenous rifampicin during chronic administration. Wiener klinische Wochenschrift 1985; 63: 1205–1211.
25. F Ratjen , Pharmacokinetics of inhaled colistin in patients with cystic fibrosis. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy 2006; 57: 306–311.
26. PK Linden , DL Paterson . Parenteral and inhaled colistin for treatment of ventilator-associated pneumonia. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2006; 43: S89–94.
27. CC Lin , Aerosolized colistin for the treatment of multidrug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii pneumonia: experience in a tertiary care hospital in northern Taiwan. Journal of Microbiology, Immunology and Infection 2010; 43: 323–331.
28. M Giannouli , Molecular epidemiology and mechanisms of rifampicin resistance in Acinetobacter baumannii isolates from Italy. International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents 2012; 39: 58–63.
29. C Kulah , Characterisation of carbapenem-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii outbreak strains producing OXA-58 in Turkey. International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents 2010; 36: 114–118.
30. M Turkoglu , Colistin therapy in critically ill patients with chronic renal failure and its effect on development of renal dysfunction. International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents 2012; 39: 142–145.
31. FG Rios , Ventilator-associated pneumonia due to colistin susceptible-only microorganisms. European Respiratory Journal 2007; 30: 307–313.
32. SM Garonzik , Population pharmacokinetics of colistin methanesulfonate and formed colistin in critically ill patients from a multicenter study provide dosing suggestions for various categories of patients. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 2011; 55: 3284–3294.