This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
30. S McDonald . Acute yellow atrophy in syphilis (a preliminary note). British Medical Journal 1918; 1: 76–78.
32. EL Opie . On the relation of combined intoxication and bacterial infection to necrosis of the liver, acute yellow atrophy and cirrhosis. Journal of Experimental Medicine 1910; 12: 367–387.
37. TB Mallory . The pathology of epidemic hepatitis. Journal of the American Medical Association 1947; 134: 655–662.
39. GM Findlay , FO MacCallum , F Murgatroyd . Observations bearing on the aetiology of infective hepatitis (so-called epidemic catarrhal jaundice). Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 1939; 32: 575–586.
40. HF Shattuck , JC Browne , M Preston . Clinical value for some recent tests for liver function. American Journal of Medical Sciences 1925; 170; 510–518.
42. GM Findlay , JL Dunlop . A fatal case of acute necrosis of the liver associated with epidemic catarrhal jaundice. British Medical Journal 1932; 1: 652–656.
47. PN Levett . Leptospirosis. Clinical Microbiological Reviews 2001; 14: 296–326.
48. WP Havens , HA Wenner . Infectious hepatitis complicated by secondary invasion with salmonella. Journal of Clinical Investigations 1946; 25: 45–52.
55. S Krugman , JP Giles , J Hammond . Infectious hepatitis. Evidence for two distinctive clinical, epidemiological, and immunological types of infection. Journal of the American Medical Association 1967; 200: 365–373.
58. GR Reyes , DW Bradley , M Lovett . New strategies for isolation of low abundance viral and host cDNAs: application to cloning of the hepatitis E virus and analysis of tissue-specific transcription. Seminars in Liver Disease 1992; 12: 289–300.
60. MS Khuroo . Discovery of hepatitis E: the epidemic non-A, non-B hepatitis 30 years down the memory lane. Virus Res 2011; 161: 3–14.
61. CG Teo . Subduing the hepatitis E python. Epidemiology and Infection 2009; 137: 480–484.
64. E Elinav , Acute hepatitis A infection in pregnancy is associated with high rates of gestational complications and preterm labor. Gastroenterology 2006; 130: 1129–1134.
65. HS Ryu , Clinical characteristics and gestational complications associated with acute hepatitis A in pregnancy [in Korean]. Korean Journal of Gastroenterology 2010; 56: 307–313.
70. F Gonzalez , Acute hepatitis C during the third trimester of pregnancy [in French]. Gastroentérologie Clinique et Biologique 2006; 30: 786–789.
71. TP Monath , AD Barrett . Pathogenesis and pathophysiology of yellow fever. Advances in Virus Research 2003; 60: 343–395.
73. B Syhavong , The infective causes of hepatitis and jaundice amongst hospitalised patients in Vientiane, Laos. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 2010; 104: 475–483.
74. WJ Meggs . Epidemics of mold poisoning past and present. Toxicology and Industrial Health 2009; 25: 571–576.
76. CG Teo . Much meat, much malady: changing perceptions of the epidemiology of hepatitis E. Clinical Microbiology and Infection 2010; 16: 24–32.
77. S Jameel , Enteric non-A, non-B hepatitis: epidemics, animal transmission, and hepatitis E virus detection by the polymerase chain reaction. Journal of Medical Virology 1992; 37: 263–270.
80. S Vrati , DK Giri , SK Parida , GP Talwar . An epidemic of non-A, non-B hepatitis in south Delhi: epidemiological studies and transmission of the disease to rhesus monkeys. Archives of Virology 1992; 125: 319–326.
84. B Sailaja , Outbreak of waterborne hepatitis E in Hyderabad, India, 2005. Epidemiology and Infection 2009; 137: 234–240.
100. S Btesh . Infective hepatitis in Palestine. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 1944; 38: 35–47.
103. AM Davies , A Suchowolski . The epidemiology in infectious hepatitis in Israel. Journal of Hygiene 1961; 59: 123–132.
106. E Shalev , HM Bassan . Viral hepatitis during pregnancy in Israel. International Journal of Gynaecology and Obstetrics 1982; 20: 73–78.
122. EH Belabbes , Epidemic non-A, non-B viral hepatitis in Algeria: strong evidence for its spreading by water. Journal of Medical Virology 1985; 16: 257–263.
123. S Benjelloun , Seroepidemiological study of an acute hepatitis E outbreak in Morocco. Research in Virology 1997; 148: 279–287.
128. GM Findlay , R Kirk , DJ Lewis . Yellow fever and the Anglo-Egyptian Sudan: the differential diagnosis of yellow fever. Annals of Tropical Medicine and Parasitology 1941; 35: 140–164.
130. C Frank , The role of parenteral antischistosomal therapy in the spread of hepatitis C virus in Egypt. Lancet 2000; 355: 887–891.
150. PN Wahi , MM Arora . Epidemic hepatitis. New England Journal of Medicine 1952; 248: 451–454.
162. MA Sreenivasan , A sero-epidemiologic study of a water-borne epidemic of viral hepatitis in Kolhapur City, India. Journal of Hygiene 1984; 93: 113–122.
165. D Boccia , High mortality associated with an outbreak of hepatitis E among displaced persons in Darfur, Sudan. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2006; 42: 1679–1684.
178. MA Kane , Epidemic non-A, non-B hepatitis in Nepal. Recovery of a possible etiologic agent and transmission studies in marmosets. Journal of the American Medical Association 1984; 252: 3140–3145.
181. VA Arankalle , Phylogenetic analysis of hepatitis E virus isolates from India (1976–1993). Journal of General Virology 1999; 80: 1691–1700.
183. RH Morrow Jr., Unusual features of viral hepatitis in Accra, Ghana. Annals of Internal Medicine 1968; 68: 1250–1264.
187. R Vivek , Investigation of an epidemic of Hepatitis E in Nellore in south India. Tropical Medicine and International Health 2010; 15: 1333–1339.
188. SK Swain , A hepatitis E outbreak caused by a temporary interruption in a municipal water treatment system, Baripada, Orissa, India, 2004. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 2010; 104: 66–69.
199. V Bal , Virological markers and antibody responses in fulminant viral hepatitis. Journal of Medical Virology 1987; 23: 75–82.
206. MS Khuroo , S Kamili . Aetiology, clinical course and outcome of sporadic acute viral hepatitis in pregnancy. Journal of Viral Hepatitis 2003; 10: 61–69.
207. A Kumar , Hepatitis E in pregnancy. International Journal of Gynaecology and Obstetrics 2004; 85: 240–244.
211. S Patra , Maternal and fetal outcomes in pregnant women with acute hepatitis E virus infection. Annals of Internal Medicine 2007; 147: 28–33.
212. V Bhatia , A 20-year single-center experience with acute liver failure during pregnancy: is the prognosis really worse? Hepatology 2008; 48: 1577–1585.
213. H Devarbhavi , Pregnancy-associated acute liver disease and acute viral hepatitis: differentiation, course and outcome. Journal of Hepatology 2008; 49: 930–935.
214. M Al-Mahtab , HEV infection as an aetiologic factor for acute hepatitis: experience from a tertiary hospital in Bangladesh. Journal of Health Population and Nutrition 2009; 27: 14–19.
218. NS Shrestha , R Saha , C Karki . Near-miss maternal morbidity and maternal mortality at Kathmandu Medical College Teaching Hospital. Kathmandu University Medical Journal 2010; 8: 222–226.
221. AB Labrique , Epidemiology and risk factors of incident hepatitis E virus infections in rural Bangladesh. American Journal of Epidemiology 2010; 172: 952–961.
235. MB Sharapov , Acute viral hepatitis morbidity and mortality associated with hepatitis E virus infection: Uzbekistan surveillance data. BMC Infectious Diseases 2009; 9: 35.
248. B Tsatsralt-Od , Infection with hepatitis A, B, C, and delta viruses among patients with acute hepatitis in Mongolia. Journal of Medical Virology 2006; 78: 542–550.
249. FC Zhu , Efficacy and safety of a recombinant hepatitis E vaccine in healthy adults: a large-scale, randomised, double-blind placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial. Lancet 2010; 376: 895–902.
250. S Zhang , Clinical characteristics and risk factors of sporadic hepatitis E in central China. Virology Journal 2011; 8: 152.
251. XM Li , Clinical characteristics of fulminant hepatitis in pregnancy. World Journal of Gastroenterology 2005; 11: 4600–4603.
252. W Zhang , Hepatitis E virus genotype diversity in eastern China. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2010; 16: 1630–1632.
256. ER Sedyaningsih-Mamahit , First documented outbreak of hepatitis E virus transmission in Java, Indonesia. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 2002; 96: 398–404.
260. HM Kang , Recent etiology and clinical features of acute viral hepatitis in a single center of Korea [in Korean]. Korean Journal of Hepatology 2007; 13: 495–502.
262. AA Hammouda . Acute virus hepatitis and pregnancy. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology of the British Empire 1962; 69: 680–682.
265. S Al-Kandari , Viral hepatitis and pregnancy in Kuwait. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 1987; 81: 395–397.
266. A Medhat , Acute viral hepatitis in pregnancy. International Journal of Gynaecology and Obstetrics 1993; 40: 25–31.
267. RM Kumar , Seroprevalence and mother-to-infant transmission of hepatitis E virus among pregnant women in the United Arab Emirates. European Journal of Obstetrics Gynecology and Reproductive Biology 2001; 100: 9–15.
269. MC Montalvo Villalba , Hepatitis E virus genotype 1, Cuba. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2008; 14: 1320–1322.
273. AC Lyra , HEV, TTV and GBV-C/HGV markers in patients with acute viral hepatitis. Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research 2005; 38: 767–775.
274. GG Schlauder , Identification of 2 novel isolates of hepatitis E virus in Argentina. Journal of Infectious Diseases 2000; 182: 294–297.
279. HT Maila , SM Bowyer , R Swanepoel . Identification of a new strain of hepatitis E virus from an outbreak in Namibia in 1995. Journal of General Virology 2004; 85: 89–95.
282. AI Goumba , X Konamna , NP Komas . Clinical and epidemiological aspects of a hepatitis E outbreak in Bangui, Central African Republic. BMC Infectious Diseases 2011; 11: 93.
283. J He , Molecular characterization of a hepatitis E virus isolate from Namibia. Journal of Biomedical Science 2000; 7: 334–348.
289. MC McCarthy , Acute hepatitis E infection during the 1988 floods in Khartoum, Sudan. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 1994; 88: 177.
290. TJ Tucker , Hepatitis E in South Africa: evidence for sporadic spread and increased seroprevalence in rural areas. Journal of Medical Virology 1996; 50: 117–119.
296. RT Strand , Infectious aetiology of jaundice among pregnant women in Angola. Scandinavian Journal of Infectious Diseases 2003; 35: 401–403.
297. RE Ahmed , MS Karsany , I Adam . Brief report: acute viral hepatitis and poor maternal and perinatal outcomes in pregnant Sudanese women. Journal of Medical Virology 2008; 80: 1747–1748.
299. N Hannachi , Seroprevalence and risk factors of hepatitis E among pregnant women in central Tunisia [in French]. Pathologie et Biologie 2011; 59: e115–118.
300. F Guerra . Medical colonization of the New World. Medical History 1963; 7: 147–154.
301. E Chernin . The early British and American journals of tropical medicine and hygiene: an informal survey. Medical History 1992; 36: 70–83.
302. MA Purdy , YE Khudyakov . Evolutionary history and population dynamics of hepatitis E virus. PLoS One 2010; 5: e14376.
303. N Jilani , Hepatitis E virus infection and fulminant hepatic failure during pregnancy. Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology 2007; 22: 676–82.
304. BK Prusty , Selective suppression of NF-ΚBp65 in hepatitis virus-infected pregnant women manifesting severe liver damage and high mortality. Molecular Medicine 2007; 13: 518–526.
307. MP Shrestha , Safety and efficacy of a recombinant hepatitis E vaccine. New England Journal of Medicine 2007; 356: 895–903.
308. B Basnyat . Neglected hepatitis E and typhoid vaccines. Lancet 2010; 376: 869.