This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. HL DuPont , Inoculum size in shigellosis and implications for expected mode of transmission. Journal of Infectious Diseases 1989; 159: 1126–1128.
8. AH Baqui , Enteropathogens associated with acute and persistent diarrhea in Bangladeshi children less than 5 years of age. Journal of Infectious Diseases 1992; 166: 792–796.
20. M Casalino , A two-year study of enteric infections associated with diarrhoeal diseases in children in urban Somalia. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene 1988; 82: 637–641.
21. DR Diniz-Santos , Epidemiological and microbiological aspects of acute bacterial diarrhea in children from Salvador, Bahia, Brazil. Brazilian Journal of Infectious Diseases 2005; 9: 77–83.
25. K Khalil , Early child health in Lahore, Pakistan: VIII. Microbiology. Acta Paediatrica 1993; 82 (Suppl. 390): 87–94.
29. JO Osisanya , Acute diarrhoeal disease in Nigeria: detection of enteropathogens in a rural sub-Saharan population. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene 1988; 82: 773–777.
35. GP Pazhani , Clonal multidrug-resistant Shigella dysenteriae type 1 strains associated with epidemic and sporadic dysenteries in eastern India. Antimicrobial Agents & Chemotherapy 2004; 48: 681–684.
37. A Naheed , Fluoroquinolone-resistant Shigella dysenteriae type 1 in northeastern Bangladesh [Comment]. Lancet Infectious Diseases 2004; 4: 607–608.
38. K Sarkar , Shigella dysenteriae type 1 with reduced susceptibility to fluoroquinolones. Lancet 2003; 361: 785.
39. D Sur , Multidrug-resistant Shigella dysenteriae type 1: forerunners of a new epidemic strain in eastern India? Emerging Infectious Diseases 2003; 9: 404–405.
41. S Dutta , Shigella dysenteriae serotype 1, Kolkata, India. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2003; 9: 1471–1474.
48. KA Talukder , Phenotypic and genotypic characterization of provisional serotype Shigella flexneri 1c and clonal relationships with 1a and 1b strains isolated in Bangladesh. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2003; 41: 110–117.
50. WA Khan , Central nervous system manifestations of childhood shigellosis: prevalence, risk factors, and outcome. Pediatrics 1999; 103: E18.
52. CW Hoge , Emergence of nalidixic acid resistant Shigella dysenteriae type 1 in Thailand: an outbreak associated with consumption of a coconut milk dessert. International Journal of Epidemiology 1995; 24: 1228–1232.
54. MO Rawashdeh , Shigellosis in Jordanian children: a clinico-epidemiologic prospective study and susceptibility to antibiotics. Journal of Tropical Pediatrics 1994; 40: 355–359.
56. BR Thapa , Shigellosis in children from north India: a clinicopathological study. Journal of Tropical Pediatrics 1995; 41: 303–307.
57. N Dewan , Nutritional status and diarrhoeal pathogen in hospitalized children in Bangladesh. Acta Paediatrica 1998; 87: 627–630.
59. F Ahmed , Epidemiology of postshigellosis persistent diarrhea in young children. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 2001; 20: 525–530.
60. ML Bennish , Intestinal obstruction during shigellosis: incidence, clinical features, risk factors, and outcome. Gastroenterology 1991; 101: 626–634.
63. S Al-Qarawi , An outbreak of hemolytic uremic syndrome associated with antibiotic treatment of hospital inpatients for dysentery. Emerging Infectious Diseases 1995; 1: 138–140.
64. R Bhimma , Post-dysenteric hemolytic uremic syndrome in children during an epidemic of Shigella dysentery in Kwazulu/Natal. Pediatric Nephrology 1997; 11: 560–564.
65. T Butler , Risk factors for development of hemolytic uremic syndrome during shigellosis. Journal of Pediatrics 1987; 110: 894–897.
68. T Martin , Shigellosis with bacteremia: a report of two cases and a review of the literature. Pediatric Infectious Disease 1983; 2: 21–26.
69. M Kristjansson , Polymicrobial and recurrent bacteremia with Shigella in a patient with AIDS [see Comment]. Scandinavian Journal of Infectious Diseases 1994; 26: 411–416.
70. A Khan , Presumptive shigellosis: clinical and laboratory characteristics of Bangladeshi patients. Scandinavian Journal of Infectious Diseases 2005; 37: 96–100.
71. ML Bennish , BJ Wojtyniak . Mortality due to shigellosis: community and hospital data. Reviews of Infectious Diseases 1991; 13 (Suppl. 4): S245–251.
72. ML Bennish , Death in shigellosis: incidence and risk factors in hospitalized patients [Erratum appears in Journal of Infectious Diseases 1990; 162: 573]. Journal of Infectious Diseases 1990; 161: 500–506.
73. SS Islam , NS Shahid . Morbidity and mortality in a diarrhoeal diseases hospital in Bangladesh. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene 1986; 80: 748–752.
76. DG Pillay , Nosocomial transmission of Shigella dysenteriae type 1. Journal of Hospital Infection 1997; 37: 199–205.
77. EG Goma . Public health impact of Rwandan refugee crisis: what happened in Goma, Zaire, in July, 1994? Lancet 1995; 345: 339–344.
80. PJ Guerin , Shigella dysenteriae serotype 1 in west Africa: intervention strategy for an outbreak in Sierra Leone. Lancet 2003; 362: 705–706.
83. J Tuttle , Antimicrobial-resistant epidemic Shigella dysenteriae type 1 in Zambia: modes of transmission. Journal of Infectious Diseases 1995; 171: 371–375.
84. NC Rollins , Epidemic Shigella dysenteriae type 1 in Natal. Journal of Tropical Pediatrics 1995; 41: 281–284.
85. JP Nataro . Vaccines against diarrheal diseases. Seminars in Pediatric Infectious Diseases 2004; 15: 272–279.
86. M Iwamoto , Shigellosis among swimmers in a freshwater lake. Southern Medical Journal 2005; 98: 774–778.
87. AM Maurer , D Sturchler . A waterborne outbreak of small round structured virus, campylobacter and shigella co-infections in La Neuveville, Switzerland, 1998. Epidemiology & Infection 2000; 125: 325–332.
88. SM Midzi , An outbreak of dysentery in a rural district of Zimbabwe: the role of personal hygiene at public gatherings. Central African Journal of Medicine 2000; 46: 150–153.
89. E Mitscherlich . Microbial Survival in the Environment. New York: Springer-Verlag, 1984.
91. OS Levine , MM Levine . Houseflies (Musca domestica) as mechanical vectors of shigellosis. Reviews of Infectious Diseases 1991; 13: 688–696.
92. D Cohen , Reduction of transmission of shigellosis by control of houseflies (Musca domestica). Lancet 1991; 337: 993–997.
95. MU Khan . Interruption of shigellosis by hand washing. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene 1982; 76: 164–168.
96. JC Mohle-Boetani , Communitywide shigellosis: control of an outbreak and risk factors in child day-care centers. American Journal of Public Health 1995; 85: 812–816.
101. M Salam , Evaluation of the Premier Enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli (EHEC) assay for detection of Shigella dysenteriae type 1 (Sd 1) infection. In: Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. Chicago: American Society of Microbiology, 2001.
102. KC Hayani , Concentration of milk secretory immunoglobulin A against Shigella virulence plasmid-associated antigens as a predictor of symptom status in Shigella-infected breast-fed infants. Journal of Pediatrics 1992; 121: 852–856.
103. UD Parashar , Global illness and deaths caused by rotavirus disease in children. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2003; 9: 565–572.
106. DF Wittenberg . The spread of Shigella dysenteriae type I in Africa. Japanese Journal of Medical Science & Biology 1998; 51 (Suppl.): S36–42.
107. I Kabir , Comparative efficacies of single intravenous doses of ceftriaxone and ampicillin for shigellosis in a placebo-controlled trial. Antimicrobial Agents & Chemotherapy 1986; 29: 645–648.
108. I Kabir , Comparative efficacies of pivmecillinam and ampicillin in acute shigellosis. Antimicrobial Agents & Chemotherapy 1984; 25: 643–645.
109. D Brenner . Recommendations on Recent Proposals for the Classification of Shigellae. International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology 1984; 34: 87–88.
110. KA Talukder , Altering trends in the dominance of Shigella flexneri serotypes and emergence of serologically atypical S. flexneri strains in Dhaka, Bangladesh. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2001; 39: 3757–3759.
113. L Von Seidlein , A multicentre study of Shigella diarrhoea in six Asian countries: disease burden, clinical manifestations, and microbiology. PLOS Medicine 2006; 3.
114. PJ Sansonetti . Shigellosis: an old disease in new clothes. PLOS Medicine 2006; 3: e354.
122. RL Shapiro , Antimicrobial-resistant bacterial diarrhea in rural western Kenya. Journal of Infectious Diseases 2001; 183: 1701–1704.
123. D Sen , Studies on Escherichia coli as a cause of acute diarrhoea in Calcutta. Journal of Medical Microbiology 1984; 17: 53–58.
124. P Echeverria , Identification by DNA hybridization of enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli in a longitudinal study of villages in Thailand. Journal of Infectious Diseases 1985; 151: 124–130.
127. P Echeverria , Etiology of diarrhea in a rural community in western Thailand: importance of enteric viruses and enterovirulent Escherichia coli. Journal of Infectious Diseases 1994; 169: 916–919.
129. BA Oyofo , Surveillance of bacterial pathogens of diarrhea disease in Indonesia. Diagnostic Microbiology & Infectious Disease 2002; 44: 227–234.
130. DS Subekti , Prevalence of enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli (ETEC) in hospitalized acute diarrhea patients in Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia. Diagnostic Microbiology & Infectious Disease 2003; 47: 399–405.
131. SK Jain , Antimicrobial-resistant Shigella sonnei: limited antimicrobial treatment options for children and challenges of interpreting in vitro azithromycin susceptibility. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 2005; 24: 494–497.
137. C Seas , Surveillance of bacterial pathogens associated with acute diarrhea in Lima, Peru. International Journal of Infectious Diseases 2000; 4: 96–99.
140. M Moyenuddin , The aetiology of diarrhoea in children at an urban hospital in Bangladesh. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene 1987; 81: 299–302.
142. T Ise , Clinical evaluation and bacterial survey in infants and young children with diarrhoea in the Santa Cruz district, Bolivia. Journal of Tropical Pediatrics 1994; 40: 369–374.
144. TinAye, Epidemiology and aetiology of acute childhood diarrhoea in Burma: a rural community survey. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene 1989; 83: 827–830.
145. IA Mikhail , Microbiologic and clinical study of acute diarrhea in children in Aswan, Egypt. Scandinavian Journal of Infectious Diseases 1989; 21: 59–65.
147. P Echeverria , Case-control study of endemic diarrheal disease in Thai children [Erratum appears in Journal of Infectious Diseases 1989; 160: 182]. Journal of Infectious Diseases 1989; 159: 543–548.
148. TI Ogunsanya , A study of the aetiological agents of childhood diarrhoea in Lagos, Nigeria. Journal of Medical Microbiology 1994; 40: 10–14.
150. T Nakano , Diagnosis of bacterial enteric infections in children in Zambia. Acta Paediatrica Japonica 1998; 40: 259–263.
152. M Youssef , Bacterial, viral and parasitic enteric pathogens associated with acute diarrhea in hospitalized children from northern Jordan. FEMS Immunology & Medical Microbiology 2000; 28: 257–263.
157. MK Bhan , Enteroaggregative Escherichia coli associated with persistent diarrhea in a cohort of rural children in India. Journal of Infectious Diseases 1989; 159: 1061–1064.
160. MK Mackenjee , Aetiology of diarrhoea in adequately nourished young African children in Durban, South Africa. Annals of Tropical Paediatrics 1984; 4: 183–187.
161. TA Gomes , Enteropathogens associated with acute diarrheal disease in urban infants in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Journal of Infectious Diseases 1991; 164: 331–337.
162. ZF Ming , Diarrhoeal disease in children less than one year of age at a children's hospital in Guangzhou, People's Republic of China. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene 1991; 85: 667–669.
163. RV Lawande , RM Joshi . Shigellosis in Zaria, northern Nigeria. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene 1987; 81: 1014–1016.
166. A Mache . Antibiotic resistance and serogroups of shigella among paediatric out-patients in southwest Ethiopia. East African Medical Journal 2001; 78: 296–299.
169. KZ Mamun , Antimicrobial susceptibility of Shigella from a rural community in Bangladesh. Annals of Tropical Medicine & Parasitology 1997; 91: 643–647.
172. BM Nguyen , Age-related prevalence of Shigella and Salmonella antibodies and their association with diarrhoeal diseases in Peruvian children. Scandinavian Journal of Infectious Diseases 1998; 30: 159–164.
174. AA Ries , Epidemic Shigella dysenteriae type 1 in Burundi: panresistance and implications for prevention. Journal of Infectious Diseases 1994; 169: 1035–1041.
175. MS Islam , Microbiological investigation of diarrhoea epidemics among Rwandan refugees in Zaire. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene 1995; 89: 506.