This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
3. G Lang , A Gagnon , JR Geraci . Isolation of an influenza A virus from seals. Archives of Virology 1981; 68: 189–195.
4. TY Kwon , Genetic characterization of H7N2 influenza virus isolated from pigs. Veterinary Microbiology 2011; 153: 393–397.
5. CA Gibson , Sequence analysis of the equine H7 influenza virus haemagglutinin gene. Virus Research 1992; 22: 93–106.
6. MJS Peiris . Avian influenza viruses in humans. Revue Scientifique et Technique, Office International des Epizooties 2009; 28: 161–173.
7. F Hayden , A Croisier . Transmission of avian influenza viruses to and between humans. Journal of Infectious Diseases 2005; 192: 1311–1314.
8. Y Berhane , Highly pathogenic avian influenza virus A (H7N3) in domestic poultry, Saskatchewan, Canada, 2007. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2009; 15: 1492–1495.
9. L Campitelli , Interspecies transmission of an H7N3 influenza virus from wild birds to intensively reared domestic poultry in Italy. Virology 2004; 323: 24–36.
10. C Terregino , Active surveillance for avian influenza viruses in wild birds and backyard flocks in Northern Italy during 2004 to 2006. Avian Pathology 2007; 36: 337–344.
12. Y Chander , Molecular and phylogenetic analysis of matrix gene of avian influenza viruses isolated from wild birds and live bird markets in the USA. Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses 2013; 7: 513–520.
KM Pepin ,
Multiannual patterns of influenza A transmission in Chinese live bird market systems. Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses
2013; 7: 97–107.
18. L Garber , Description of live poultry markets in the United States and factors associated with repeated presence of H5/H7 low-pathogenicity avian influenza virus. Avian Diseases 2007; 51: 417–420.
19. SC Trock , JP Huntley . Surveillance and control of avian influenza in the New York live bird markets. Avian Diseases 2010; 54: 340–344.
21. D Bulach , Molecular analysis of H7 avian influenza viruses from Australia and New Zealand: genetic diversity and relationships from 1976 to 2007. Journal of Virology 2010; 84: 9957–9966.
23. S Krauss , Influenza in migratory birds and evidence of limited intercontinental virus exchange. PLoS Pathogens 2007; 3: e167.
G Metreveli ,
Phylogenetic analysis of the hemagglutinin gene of low pathogenic avian influenza virus H7N7 strains in mallards in Northern Europe. Avian Diseases
2010; 54: 453–456.
27. VJ Munster , Mallards and highly pathogenic avian influenza ancestral viruses, northern Europe. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2005; 11: 1545–1551.
28. K Smietanka , Evidence of persistence and multiple genetic modifications of H7N7 low-pathogenic avian influenza virus in wild mallards in Poland provided by phylogenetic studies. Avian Pathology 2011; 40: 131–138.
30. Z Szeleczky , Characterization of two low pathogenic avian influenza viruses isolated in Hungary in 2007. Veterinary Microbiology 2010; 145: 142–147.
31. VG Dugan , Phylogenetic analysis of low pathogenicity H5N1 and H7N3 influenza A virus isolates recovered from sentinel, free flying, wild mallards at one study site during 2006. Virology 2011; 417: 98–105.
33. UB Aamir , Zoonotic potential of highly pathogenic avian H7N3 influenza viruses from Pakistan. Virology 2009; 390: 212–220.
36. DR Kapczynski , Characterization of the 2012 highly pathogenic avian influenza H7N3 virus isolated from poultry in an outbreak in Mexico: pathobiology and vaccine protection. Journal of Virology 2013; 87: 9086–9096.
38. DH Lee , Characterization of low-pathogenicity H5 and H7 Korean avian influenza viruses in chickens. Poultry Science 2012; 91: 3086–3090.
39. B Olsen , Global patterns of influenza a virus in wild birds. Science 2006; 312: 384–388.
41. E Spackman , H7N3 avian influenza virus found in a South American wild duck is related to the Chilean 2002 poultry outbreak, contains genes from equine and North American wild bird lineages, and is adapted to domestic turkeys. Journal of Virology 2006; 80: 7760–7764.
42. S Marche , Different replication profiles in specific-pathogen-free chickens of two H7 low pathogenic avian influenza viruses isolated from wild birds. Avian Diseases 2012; 56: 959–965.
43. BS Ladman , Potential of low pathogenicity avian influenza viruses of wild bird origin to establish experimental infections in turkeys and chickens. Avian Diseases 2010; 54: 1091–1094.
44. H Song , Partial direct contact transmission in ferrets of a mallard H7N3 influenza virus with typical avian-like receptor specificity. Virology Journal 2009; 6: 126.
48. J Pasick , Survey of influenza A viruses circulating in wild birds in Canada 2005 to 2007. Avian Diseases 2010; 54: 440–445.
49. J Pasick , J Pedersen , MS Hernandez . Avian influenza in North America, 2009–2011. Avian Diseases 2012; 56: 845–848.
50. A Nagy , Digital genotyping of avian influenza viruses of H7 subtype detected in central Europe in 2007–2011. Virus Research 2012; 165: 126–133.
MM Aly ,
Isolation of a low pathogenic avian influenza virus (H7N7) from a black kite (Milvus migrans) in Egypt in 2005. Avian Diseases
2010; 54: 457–460.
52. A Soliman , Surveillance of avian influenza viruses in migratory birds in Egypt, 2003–09. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 2012; 48: 669–675.
53. NS Lewis , Avian influenza virus surveillance in wild birds in Georgia: 2009–2011. PLoS ONE 2013; 8: e58534.
S Sakabe ,
A vaccine prepared from a non-pathogenic H7N7 virus isolated from natural reservoir conferred protective immunity against the challenge with lethal dose of highly pathogenic avian influenza virus in chickens. Vaccine
2008; 26: 2127–2134.
57. AM Henriques , Multiyear surveillance of influenza A virus in wild birds in Portugal. Avian Pathology 2011; 40: 597–602.
58. B Slavec , Surveillance of influenza A viruses in wild birds in Slovenia from 2006 to 2010. Avian Diseases 2012; 56: 999–1005.
HM Kang ,
Surveillance of avian influenza virus in wild bird fecal samples from South Korea, 2003–2008. Journal of Wildlife Diseases
2010; 46: 878–888.
BA Hanson ,
Avian influenza viruses in Minnesota ducks during 1998–2000. Avian Diseases
2003; 47: 867–871.
63. PJ Ferro , Multiyear surveillance for avian influenza virus in waterfowl from wintering grounds, Texas coast, USA. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2010; 16: 1224–1230.
S Van Borm ,
Genetic characterization of low pathogenic H5N1 and co-circulating avian influenza viruses in wild mallards (Anas platyrhynchos) in Belgium, 2008. Avian Pathology
2011; 40: 613–628.
66. OR Therkildsen , Low pathogenic avian influenza (H7N1) transmission between wild ducks and domestic ducks. Zoonoses and Public Health 2011; 58: 312–317.
N Busquets ,
Influenza A virus subtypes in wild birds in North-Eastern Spain (Catalonia). Virus Research
2010; 149: 10–18.
72. BM Ghersi , Isolation of low-pathogenic H7N3 avian influenza from wild birds in Peru. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 2011; 47: 792–795.
73. BA Hanson , Avian influenza viruses and paramyxoviruses in wintering and resident ducks in Texas. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 2005; 41: 624–628.
74. BA Hanson , Is the occurrence of avian influenza virus in Charadriiformes species and location dependent? Journal of Wildlife Diseases 2008; 44: 351–361.
75. BR Wilcox , Influenza-A viruses in ducks in northwestern Minnesota: fine scale spatial and temporal variation in prevalence and subtype diversity. PLoS ONE 2011; 6: e24010.
77. RE Perez , Detection of low pathogenic avian influenza viruses in wild birds in Castilla-La Mancha (south central Spain). Veterinary Microbiology 2010; 146: 200–208.
78. L Haynes , Australian surveillance for avian influenza viruses in wild birds between July 2005 and June 2007. Australian Veterinary Journal 2009; 87: 266–272.
79. J Vergara-Alert , Exposure to a low pathogenic A/H7N2 virus in chickens protects against highly pathogenic A/H7N1 virus but not against subsequent infection with A/H5N1. PLoS ONE 2013; 8: e58692.
80. JC Obenauer , Large-scale sequence analysis of avian influenza isolates. Science 2006; 311: 1576–1580.
Y Shengqing ,
Isolation of myxoviruses from migratory waterfowls in San-in district, western Japan in winters of 1997–2000. Journal of Veterinary Medical Science
2002; 64: 1049–1052.
AS Gambaryan ,
Receptor-binding profiles of H7 subtype influenza viruses in different host species. Journal of Virology
2012; 86: 4370–4379.
MV Kulak ,
Surveillance and identification of influenza A viruses in wild aquatic birds in the Crimea, Ukraine (2006–2008). Avian Diseases
2010; 54: 1086–1090.
A Baumer ,
Epidemiology of avian influenza virus in wild birds in Switzerland between 2006 and 2009. Avian Diseases
2010; 54: 875–884.
86. O Werner , Avian influenza outbreaks in Germany – development of new avian vaccines. In: H-D Klenk , MN Matrosovich , J Stech , eds. Avian Influenza. Basel: Karger, 2008, pp. 71–87.
MA Afifi ,
Serological surveillance reveals widespread influenza A H7 and H9 subtypes among chicken flocks in Egypt. Tropical Animal Health and Production
2013; 45: 687–690.
89. SD Pawar , Avian influenza surveillance reveals presence of low pathogenic avian influenza viruses in poultry during 2009–2011 in the West Bengal State, India. Virology Journal 2012; 9: 151.
91. DA Senne . Avian influenza in North and South America, 2002–2005. Avian Diseases 2007; 51: 167–173.
95. DJ Alexander , D Spackman . Characterization of influenza-A viruses isolated from turkeys in England during March-May 1979. Avian Pathology 1981; 10: 281–293.
J Pasick , Y Berhane , K Hooper-McGrevy . Avian influenza: the Canadian experience. Revue Scientifique et Technique, Office International des Epizooties
2009; 28: 349–358.
101. J Banks , Changes in the haemagglutinin and the neuraminidase genes prior to the emergence of highly pathogenic H7N1 avian influenza viruses in Italy. Archives of Virology 2001; 146: 963–973.
103. I Capua , The 1999–2000 avian influenza (H7N1) epidemic in Italy: veterinary and human health implications. Acta Tropica 2002; 83: 7–11.
104. I Capua , Avian influenza in Italy 1997–2001. Avian Diseases 2003; 47: 839–843.
105. M Cecchinato , Low pathogenicity avian influenza in Italy during 2007 and 2008: epidemiology and control. Avian Diseases 2010; 54: 323–328.
C Rohm ,
Do hemagglutinin genes of highly pathogenic avian influenza viruses constitute unique phylogenetic lineages?
1995; 209: 664–670.
KT Eames ,
Assessing the role of contact tracing in a suspected H7N2 influenza A outbreak in humans in Wales. BMC Infectious Diseases
2010; 10: 141.
115. DL Suarez , E Spackman , DA Senne . Update on molecular epidemiology of H1, H5, and H7 influenza virus infections in poultry in North America. Avian Diseases 2003; 47: 888–897.
116. S Davison , RJ Eckroade , AF Ziegler . A review of the 1996–98 nonpathogenic H7N2 avian influenza outbreak in Pennsylvania. Avian Diseases 2003; 47: 823–827.
B Panigrahy , DA Senne , JC Pedersen . Avian influenza virus subtypes inside and outside the live bird markets, 1993–2000: a spatial and temporal relationship. Avian Diseases
2002; 46: 298–307.
119. PA Dunn , Summary of the 2001–02 Pennsylvania H7N2 low pathogenicity avian influenza outbreak in meat type chickens. Avian Diseases 2003; 47: 812–816.
121. CW Lee , Pathogenic potential of North American H7N2 avian influenza virus: a mutagenesis study using reverse genetics. Virology 2006; 353: 388–395.
123. WM Forsyth , DC Grix , CA Gibson . Diagnosis of highly pathogenic avian influenza in chickens: Bendigo 1992. Australian Veterinary Journal 1993; 70: 118–119.
125. J Pasick , Diagnostic test results and pathology associated with the 2007 Canadian H7N3 highly pathogenic avian influenza outbreak. Avian Diseases 2010; 54: 213–219.
126. DL Suarez , Recombination resulting in virulence shift in avian influenza outbreak, Chile. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2004; 10: 693–699.
127. W Hai-bo , Sequence and phylogenetic analysis of H7N3 avian influenza viruses isolated from poultry in China in 2011. Archives of Virology 2012; 157: 2017–2021.
I Capua , S Marangon . The use of vaccination to combat multiple introductions of Notifiable Avian Influenza viruses of the H5 and H7 subtypes between 2000 and 2006 in Italy. Vaccine
2007; 25: 4987–4995.
S Maurer-Stroh ,
The highly pathogenic H7N3 avian influenza strain from July 2012 in Mexico acquired an extended cleavage site through recombination with host 28S rRNA. Virology Journal
2013; 10: 139.
K Naeem , M Hussain . An outbreak of avian influenza in poultry in Pakistan. Veterinary Record
1995; 137: 439.
136. K Naeem , Avian influenza in Pakistan: outbreaks of low- and high-pathogenicity avian influenza in Pakistan during 2003–2006. Avian Diseases 2007; 51: 189–193.
138. M Iqbal , Novel genotypes of H9N2 influenza A viruses isolated from poultry in Pakistan containing NS genes similar to highly pathogenic H7N3 and H5N1 viruses. PLoS ONE 2009; 4: e5788.
139. RJ Manvell , Isolation of a highly pathogenic influenza A virus of subtype H7N3 from a peregrine falcon (Falco peregrinus). Avian Pathology 2000; 29: 635–637.
Y Uchida ,
Genetic characterization and susceptibility on poultry and mammal of H7N6 subtype avian influenza virus isolated in Japan in 2009. Veterinary Microbiology
2011; 147: 1–10.
145. T van den Berg , P Houdart . Avian influenza outbreak management: action at time of confirmation, depopulation and disposal methods; the ‘Belgian experience’ during the H7N7 highly pathogenic avian influenza epidemic in 2003. Zoonoses and Public Health 2008; 55: 54–64.
146. TT Lam , The genesis and source of the H7N9 influenza viruses causing human infections in China. Nature 2013; 502: 241–244.
C Probst ,
Low pathogenic avian influenza H7N7 in domestic poultry in Germany in 2011. Veterinary Record
2012; 171: 624.
150. JJ de Wit , A cross-sectional serological survey of the Dutch commercial poultry population for the presence of low pathogenic avian influenza virus infections. Avian Pathology 2004; 33: 565–570.
MC de Jong ,
Intra- and interspecies transmission of H7N7 highly pathogenic avian influenza virus during the avian influenza epidemic in The Netherlands in 2003. Revue Scientifique et Technique, Office International des Epizooties
2009; 28: 333–340.
RA Fouchier ,
Avian influenza A virus (H7N7) associated with human conjunctivitis and a fatal case of acute respiratory distress syndrome. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA
2004; 101: 1356–1361.
N Gibbens . Avian influenza outbreak in Oxfordshire. Veterinary Record
2008; 162: 795.
163. D Liu , Origin and diversity of novel avian influenza A H7N9 viruses causing human infection: phylogenetic, structural, and coalescent analyses. Lancet 2013; 381: 1926–1932.
167. PD DeLay , HL Casey , HS Tubiash . Comparative study of fowl plague virus and a virus isolated from man. Public Health Reports 1967; 82: 615–620.
170. SS Wong , KY Yuen . Avian influenza virus infections in humans. Chest 2006; 129: 156–168.
171. JA Belser , Past, present, and possible future human infection with influenza virus A subtype H7. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2009; 15: 859–865.
174. B Ostrowsky , Low pathogenic avian influenza A (H7N2) virus infection in immunocompromised adult, New York, USA, 2003. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2012; 18: 1128–1131.
175. SA Tweed , Human illness from avian influenza H7N3, British Columbia. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2004; 10: 2196–2199.
177. JA Belser , Contemporary North American influenza H7 viruses possess human receptor specificity: implications for virus transmissibility. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 2008; 105: 7558–7563.
179. JA Belser , Pathogenesis, transmissibility, and ocular tropism of a highly pathogenic avian influenza A (H7N3) virus associated with human conjunctivitis. Journal of Virology 2013; 87: 5746–5754.
DE te Beest ,
Effectiveness of personal protective equipment and oseltamivir prophylaxis during avian influenza A (H7N7) epidemic, the Netherlands, 2003. Emerging Infectious Diseases
2010; 16: 1562–1568.
185. J Kurtz , RJ Manvell , J Banks . Avian influenza virus isolated from a woman with conjunctivitis. Lancet 1996; 348: 901–902.
186. T Bai , J Zhou , Y Shu . Serologic study for influenza A (H7N9) among high-risk groups in China. New England Journal of Medicine 2013; 368: 2339–2340.
187. Y Ke , High severity and fatality of human infections with avian influenza A(H7N9) infection in China. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2013; 57: 1506–1507.
J Li ,
Environmental connections of novel avian-origin H7N9 influenza virus infection and virus adaptation to the human. Science China Life Sciences
2013; 56: 485–492.
194. JH Kreijtz , Low pathogenic avian influenza A(H7N9) virus causes high mortality in ferrets upon intratracheal challenge: a model to study intervention strategies. Vaccine 2013; 31: 4995–4999.
196. H Zhu , Infectivity, transmission, and pathology of human-isolated H7N9 influenza virus in ferrets and pigs. Science 2013; 341: 183–186.
Q Zhang ,
H7N9 influenza viruses are transmissible in ferrets by respiratory droplet. Science
2013; 341: 410–414.
199. M Richard , Limited airborne transmission of H7N9 influenza A virus between ferrets. Nature 2013; 501: 560–563.
200. SY Chang , The first case of H7N9 influenza in Taiwan. Lancet 2013; 381: 1621.
203. I Capua , G Cattoli . Prevention and control of highly pathogenic avian influenza with particular reference to H5N1. Virus Research 2013; 178: 114–120.
206. M Bublot , Development and use of fowlpox vectored vaccines for avian influenza. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 2006; 1081: 193–201.
MA Abbas ,
H7 avian influenza virus vaccines protect chickens against challenge with antigenically diverse isolates. Vaccine
2011; 29: 7424–7429.
212. JA van der Goot , Quantification of the effect of vaccination on transmission of avian influenza (H7N7) in chickens. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of USA 2005; 102: 18141–18146.
213. A Toffan , Conventional inactivated bivalent H5/H7 vaccine prevents viral localization in muscles of turkeys infected experimentally with low pathogenic avian influenza and highly pathogenic avian influenza H7N1 isolates. Avian Pathology 2008; 37: 407–412.
215. ME Bos , Effect of H7N1 vaccination on highly pathogenic avian influenza H7N7 virus transmission in turkeys. Vaccine 2008; 26: 6322–6328.
216. TM Tumpey , DR Kapczynski , DE Swayne . Comparative susceptibility of chickens and turkeys to avian influenza A H7N2 virus infection and protective efficacy of a commercial avian influenza H7N2 virus vaccine. Avian Diseases 2004; 48: 167–176.
218. OP Zhirnov , HD Klenk . Alterations in caspase cleavage motifs of NP and M2 proteins attenuate virulence of a highly pathogenic avian influenza virus. Virology 2009; 394: 57–63.
221. W Fuchs , Novel avian influenza virus vaccines. Revue Scientifique et Technique, Office International des Epizooties 2009; 28: 319–332.
Y Cai ,
Improved hatchability and efficient protection after in ovo vaccination with live-attenuated H7N2 and H9N2 avian influenza viruses. Virology Journal
2011; 8: 31.
224. DB Boyle , P Selleck , HG Heine . Vaccinating chickens against avian influenza with fowlpox recombinants expressing the H7 haemagglutinin. Australian Veterinary Journal 2000; 78: 44–48.
225. CL Qiao , Protection of chickens against highly lethal H5N1 and H7N1 avian influenza viruses with a recombinant fowlpox virus co-expressing H5 haemagglutinin and N1 neuraminidase genes. Avian Pathology 2003; 32: 25–32.
226. TR Mickle , DE Swayne , N Pritchard . The development of avian influenza vaccines for emergency use. In: RS Schrijver , G Koch , eds. Avian Influenza: Prevention and Control. 1st edn. The Netherlands: Springer, 2005, pp. 93–100.
227. M Mingxiao , Construction and immunogenicity of recombinant fowlpox vaccines coexpressing HA of AIV H5N1 and chicken IL18. Vaccine 2006; 24: 4304–4311.
228. DE Swayne , JR Beck , N Kinney . Failure of a recombinant fowl poxvirus vaccine containing an avian influenza hemagglutinin gene to provide consistent protection against influenza in chickens preimmunized with a fowl pox vaccine. Avian Diseases 2000; 44: 132–137.
H Toro ,
Protection of chickens against avian influenza with non-replicating adenovirus-vectored vaccine. Vaccine
2008; 26: 2640–2646.
DE Swayne ,
Recombinant paramyxovirus type 1-avian influenza-H7 virus as a vaccine for protection of chickens against influenza and Newcastle disease. Avian Diseases
2003; 47: 1047–1050.
234. D Schroer , Vaccination with Newcastle disease virus vectored vaccine protects chickens against highly pathogenic H7 avian influenza virus. Avian Diseases 2009; 53: 190–197.
J Veits ,
Deletion of the non-essential UL0 gene of infectious laryngotracheitis (ILT) virus leads to attenuation in chickens, and UL0 mutants expressing influenza virus haemagglutinin (H7) protect against ILT and fowl plague. Journal of General Virology
2003; 84: 3343–3352.
236. Y Li , Recombinant herpesvirus of turkeys as a vector-based vaccine against highly pathogenic H7N1 avian influenza and Marek's disease. Vaccine 2011; 29: 8257–8266.
237. NH Kalhoro , A recombinant vesicular stomatitis virus replicon vaccine protects chickens from highly pathogenic avian influenza virus (H7N1). Vaccine 2009; 27: 1174–1183.
238. J Crawford , Baculovirus-derived hemagglutinin vaccines protect against lethal influenza infections by avian H5 and H7 subtypes. Vaccine 1999; 17: 2265–2274.
EF Fynan , HL Robinson , RG Webster . Use of DNA encoding influenza hemagglutinin as an avian influenza vaccine. DNA and Cell Biology
1993; 12: 785–789.
242. Y Jiang , Protective efficacy of H7 subtype avian influenza DNA vaccine. Avian Diseases 2010; 54: 290–293.
243. G Le Gall-Recule , Importance of a prime-boost DNA/protein vaccination to protect chickens against low-pathogenic H7 avian influenza infection. Avian Diseases 2007; 51: 490–494.
244. M Cherbonnel , J Rousset , V Jestin . Strategies to improve protection against low-pathogenicity H7 avian influenza virus infection using DNA vaccines. Avian Diseases 2003; 47: 1181–1186.
245. EM Abdelwhab , HM Hafez . Insight into alternative approaches for control of avian influenza in poultry, with emphasis on highly pathogenic H5N1. Viruses 2012; 4: 3179–3208.
247. AP Kendal , HD Klenk . Amantadine inhibits an early, M2 protein-dependent event in the replication cycle of avian influenza (H7) viruses. Archives of Virology 1991; 119: 265–273.
249. C Scholtissek , K Muller . Failure to obtain drug-resistant variants of influenza virus after treatment with inhibiting doses of 3-deazaadenosine and H7. Archives of Virology 1991; 119: 111–118.
S Pleschka ,
Anti-viral properties and mode of action of standardized Echinacea purpurea extract against highly pathogenic avian influenza virus (H5N1, H7N7) and swine-origin H1N1 (S-OIV). Virology Journal
2009; 6: 197.
NA Ilyushina ,
Contribution of H7 haemagglutinin to amantadine resistance and infectivity of influenza virus. Journal of General Virology
2007; 88: 1266–1274.
A Meijer ,
Measurement of antibodies to avian influenza virus A(H7N7) in humans by hemagglutination inhibition test. Journal of Virological Methods
2006; 132: 113–120.