This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. RF Grais , Unacceptably high mortality related to measles epidemics in Niger, Nigeria, and Chad. PLoS Medicine 2007; 4: 122–129.
2. A Molesworth , Environmental risk and meningitis epidemics in Africa. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2003; 9: 1287–1293.
3. DJD Earn , A simple model for complex dynamical transitions in epidemics. Science 2000; 287: 667–670.
4. ON Bjornstad , BF Finkenstadt , BT Grenfell . Dynamics of measles epidemics: Estimating scaling of transmission rates using a Time series SIR model. Ecological Monographs 2002; 72: 169–184.
6. BT Grenfell , ON Bjornstad , J Kappey . Travelling waves and spatial hierarchies in measles epidemics. Nature 2001; 414: 716–723.
8. MJ Ferrari , The dynamics of measles in sub-Saharan Africa. Nature 2008; 451: 679–684.
10. N Stollenwerk , M Maiden , V Jansen . Diversity in pathogenicity can cause outbreaks of meningococcal disease. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science USA 2004; 101: 10229–10234.
12. C Trotter , B Greenwood . Meningococcal carriage in the African meningitis belt. Lancet 2007; 7: 797–803.
13. B Greenwood , Factors influencing susceptibility to meningococcal disease during an epidemic in The Gambia, West Africa. Journal of Infection 1987; 14: 167–184.
14. C Trotter , NJ Gay , WJ Edmunds . Dynamic models of meningococcal carriage, disease, and the impact of serogroup C conjugate vaccination. American Journal of Epidemiology 2005; 162: 89–100.
15. I Blakebrough , The epidemiology of infections due to Neisseria meningitidis and Neisseria lactamica in a northern Nigerian community. Journal of Infectious Diseases 1982; 146: 626–637.
16. P Boisier , Carriage of Neisseria meningitidis serogroup W135 ST-2881. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2006; 12: 1421–1423.
19. F de Chabalier , Meningitis seasonal pattern in Africa and detection of epidemics: a retrospective study in Niger, 1990–98. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 2000; 94: 664–668.
20. P Yaka , Relationships between climate and year-to-year variability in meningitis outbreaks: a case study in Burkina Faso and Niger. International Journal of Health Geographics 2008; 7: 34.
21. B Sultan , Climate drives the meningitis epidemics onset in West Africa. PLoS Medicine 2005; 2: 0043–0049.
25. ON Bjornstad , BT Grenfell . Hazards, spatial transmission and timing of outbreaks in epidemic metapopulations. Environmental and Ecological Statistics 2008; 15: 265–277.
26. PEM Fine , JA Clarkson . Measles in England and Wales. 1. An analysis of factors underlying seasonal patterns. International Journal of Epidemiology 1982; 11: 5–14.
35. MJ Keeling , BT Grenfell . Disease extinction and community size: modeling the persistence of measles. Science 1997; 275: 65–67.
38. PS Moore , Group A meningococcal carriage in travelers returning from Saudi Arabia. Journal of the American Medical Association 1988; 260: 2686–2689.
44. PS Moore , Respiratory viruses and mycoplasma as cofactors for epidemic group A meningococcal meningitis. Journal of the American Medical Association 1990; 264: 1271–1275.
45. J Mueller , Association of respiratory tract infection symptoms and air humidity with meningococcal carriage in Burkina Faso. Tropical Medicine and International Health 2008; 13: 1543–1552.
46. B Hubert , Meningococcal disease and influenza-like symptoms: a new approach to an old question. Journal of Infectious Diseases 1992; 166: 542–545.
47. C Viboud , JA Wladimir , L Simonsen . Influenza in tropical regions. PLoS Medicine 2006; 3: 468–471.