1. AI Ko , C Goarant , M Picardeau . Leptospira: the dawn of the molecular genetics era for an emerging zoonotic pathogen. Nature Reviews Microbiology 2009; 7: 736–747.
2. AB Thiermann . The Norway rat as a selective chronic carrier of Leptospira icterohaemorrhagiae. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 1981; 17: 39–43.
3. FC Leonard , Duration of urinary excretion of leptospires by cattle naturally or experimentally infected with Leptospira interrogans serovar hardjo. Veterinary Record 1992; 131: 435–439.
4. W Lilenbaum , Detection on Leptospira spp. in semen and vaginal fluids of goats and sheep by polymerase chain reaction. Theriogenology 2008; 69: 837–842.
5. D Maes , Diseases in swine transmitted by artificial insemination: an overview. Theriogenology 2008; 70: 1337–1345.
6. R Vinodh , Detection of Leptospira and Brucella genomes in bovine semen using polymerase chain reaction. Tropical Animal Health and Production 2008; 40: 323–329.
7. NA Harrisson , WR Fitzgerald . Leptospirosis – can it be a sexually transmitted disease? Postgraduate Medical Journal 1988; 64: 163–164.
9. CA Bolin . Human-to-human transmission of Leptospira interrogans by milk. Journal of Infectious Diseases 1988; 158: 246.
10. AR Bharti , Leptospirosis: a zoonotic disease of global importance. Lancet Infectious Diseases 2003; 3: 757–771.
16. PMA Lucchesi , Recommandations for the detection of Leptospira in urine by PCR. Revista da Sociedade Brasileira de Medicina Tropical 2004; 37: 131–134.
18. RA Stoddard , Detection of pathogenic Leptospira spp. through TaqMan polymerase chain reaction targeting the LipL32 gene. Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease 2009; 64: 247–255.
19. M Weidmann , U Meyer-König , FT Hufert . Rapid detection of herpes simplex virus and varicella-zoster virus infections by real-time PCR. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2003; 41: 1565–1568.
20. P Bourhy , Comparison of real-time PCR assays for the detection of pathogenic Leptospira spp. in blood and identification of variations in target sequences. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2011; 49: 2154–2160.
22. SM Tulsiani , The role of fruit bats in the transmission of pathogenic leptospires in Australia. Annals of Tropical Medicine and Parasitology 2011; 105: 71–84.
24. S Rahelinirina , First isolation and direct evidence for the existence of large small-mammal reservoirs of Leptospira sp. in Madagascar. PLoS ONE 2010; 5: e14111.
26. M Jimenez-Coello , Stray dogs as reservoirs of the zoonotic agents Leptospira interrogans, Trypanosoma cruzi, and Aspergillus spp. in an urban area of Chiapas in Southern Mexico. Vector-Borne and Zoonotic Diseases 2009; 10: 135–141.
29. SA Felt , Cross-species surveillance of Leptospira in domestic and peri-domestic animals in Mahalla city, Gharbeya Governorate, Egypt. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 2011; 84: 420–425.
30. J Millan , Leptospirosis in wild and domestic carnivores in natural areas in Andalusia, Spain. Vector-Borne and Zoonotic Diseases 2009; 9: 549–554.
32. RSP Jorge , Exposure of free-ranging wild carnivores, horses and domestic dogs to Leptospira spp in the northern Pantanal, Brazil. Memorias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz 2011; 106: 441–444.
33. H Langoni , Incidence of leptospiral abortion in Brazilian dairy cattle. Preventive Veterinary Medicine 1999; 40: 271–275.
35. ACF Ramos , GN Souza , W Lilenbaum . Influence of leptospirosis on reproductive performance of sows in Brazil. Theriogenology 2006; 66: 1021–1025.
37. J Perez , Rodent abundance dynamics and leptospirosis carriage in an area of hyper-endemicity in New Caledonia PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases 2011; 5: e1361.
38. SYAM Villanueva , Serologic and molecular studies of Leptospira and leptospirosis among rats in the Philippines. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 2010; 82: 889–898.
39. MT de Faria , Carriage of Leptospira interrogans among domestic rats from an urban setting highly endemic for leptospirosis in Brazil. Acta Tropica 2008; 108: 1–5.
40. M Collares-Pereira , Rodents and Leptospira transmission risk in Terceira Island (Azores). European Journal of Epidemiology 2000; 16: 1151–1157.
43. A Desvars , E Cardinale , A Michault . Animal leptospirosis in small tropical areas. Epidemiology and Infection 2011; 139: 167–188.
45. AA Adesiyun , Sero-epidemiology of canine leptospirosis in Trinidad: serovars, implications for vaccination and public health. Journal of Veterinary Medicine B 2006; 53: 91–99.
46. A Berlioz-Arthaud , Hospital-based active surveillance of human leptospirosis in Cambodia [in French]. Bulletin de la Société de Pathologie Exotique 2010; 103: 111–118.
47. I Vado-Solis , Clinical-epidemiological study of leptospirosis in humans and reservoirs in Yucatán, México. Revista do Instituto de Medicina Tropical de São Paulo 2002; 44: 335–340.
48. CA Agunloye , AS Nash . Investigation of possible leptospiral infection in cats in Scotland. Journal of Small Animal Practice 1996; 37: 126–129.
50. C Tollenaere , Phylogeography of the introduced species Rattus rattus in the western Indian Ocean, with special emphasis on the colonization history of Madagascar. Journal of Biogeography 2010; 37: 398–410.
51. PN Levett . Leptospirosis. Clinical Microbiology Reviews 2001; 14: 296–326.
52. PN Levett . Usefulness of serologic analysis as a predictor of the infecting serovar in patients with severe leptospirosis. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2003; 36: 447–452.
53. LD Smythe , The microscopic agglutination test (MAT) is an unreliable predictor of infecting Leptospira serovar in Thailand. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 2009; 81: 695–697.
54. J Perez , C Goarant . Rapid Leptospira identification by direct sequencing of the diagnostic PCR products in New Caledonia. BMC Microbiology 2010; 10: 325.
55. AM Monahan , JJ Callanan , J Nally . Proteomic analysis of Leptospira interrogans shed in urine of chronically infected hosts. Infection and Immunity 2008; 76: 4952–4958.
56. S Subharat , Evaluation of a SYTO9 real-time polymerase chain reaction assay to detect and identify pathogenic Leptospira species in kidney tissue and urine of New Zealand farmed deer. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation 2011; 23: 743–752.
57. JE Nally , Changes in lipopolysaccharide O antigen distinguish acute versus chronic Leptospira interrogans infections. Infection and Immunity 2005; 73: 3251–3260.
58. C Lau . Climate change, flooding, urbanisation and leptospirosis: fuelling the fire? Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 2010; 104: 631–638.
59. G Martins , B Penna , W Lilenbaum . Maintenance of Leptospira infection in cattle under tropical conditions. Veterinary Record 2010; 167: 629–630.
60. L Schoonman , ES Swai . Herd- and animal-level risk factors for bovine leptospirosis in Tanga region of Tanzania. Tropical Animal Health and Production 2010; 42: 1565–1572.