This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. HL DuPont , Inoculum size in shigellosis and implications for expected mode of transmission. Journal of Infectious Diseases 1989; 159: 1126–1128.
6. E Scallan , Foodborne illness acquired in the United States – major pathogens. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2011; 17: 7–12.
7. ML Rosenberg , Shigellosis from swimming. Journal of the American Medical Association 1976; 236: 1849–1852.
9. TJ Aragon , Case-control study of shigellosis in San Francisco: the role of sexual transmission and HIV infection. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2007; 44: 327–334.
10. CC Haley , Risk factors for sporadic shigellosis, FoodNet 2005. Foodborne Pathogens and Disease 7: 741–747.
12. CW Hedberg , KL MacDonald , MT Osterholm . Changing epidemiology of food-borne disease: a Minnesota perspective. Clinical Infectious Diseases 1994; 18: 671–680; quiz 681–682.
13. CW Hedberg , An international foodborne outbreak of shigellosis associated with a commercial airline. Journal of the American Medical Association 1992; 268: 3208–3212.
14. A Gupta , Laboratory-confirmed shigellosis in the United States, 1989–2002: epidemiologic trends and patterns. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2004; 38: 1372–1377.
15. T Rosenberg , Shigellosis on Indian reserves in Manitoba, Canada: its relationship to crowded housing, lack of running water, and inadequate sewage disposal. American Journal of Public Health 1997; 87: 1547–1551.
20. AC Kimura , Multistate shigellosis outbreak and commercially prepared food, United States. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2004; 10: 1147–1149.
22. ME Reller , A large, multiple-restaurant outbreak of infection with Shigella flexneri serotype 2a traced to tomatoes. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2006; 42: 163–169.
24. BR Warren , HG Yuk , KR Schneider . Survival of Shigella sonnei on smooth tomato surfaces, in potato salad and in raw ground beef. International Journal of Food Microbiology 2007; 116: 400–404.
27. B Swaminathan , PulseNet: the molecular subtyping network for foodborne bacterial disease surveillance, United States. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2001; 7: 382–389.
29. PS Mead , Food-related illness and death in the United States. Emerging Infectious Diseases 1999; 5: 607–625.
30. SA Kolavic , An outbreak of Shigella dysenteriae type 2 among laboratory workers due to intentional food contamination. Journal of the American Medical Association 1997; 278: 396–398.