This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. M Harris , British Thoracic Society guidelines for the management of community acquired pneumonia in children: update 2011. Thorax 2011; 66 (Suppl. 2): ii1-23.
2. J Bryce , WHO estimates of the causes of death in children. Lancet 2005; 365: 1147–1152.
3. I Rudan , Epidemiology and etiology of childhood pneumonia. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 2008; 86: 408–416.
4. B Greenwood . The epidemiology of pneumococcal infection in children in the developing world. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, Series B: Biological Sciences 1999; 354: 777–785.
5. H Clements , Rationalised prescribing for community acquired pneumonia: a closed loop audit. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2000; 83: 320–324.
6. P Drummond , Community acquired pneumonia – a prospective UK study. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2000; 83: 408–412.
7. KP Klugman , A trial of a 9-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine in children with and those without HIV infection. New England Journal of Medicine 2003; 349: 1341–1348.
8. FT Cutts , Efficacy of nine-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine against pneumonia and invasive pneumococcal disease in The Gambia: randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 2005; 365: 1139–1146.
9. SB Black , Effectiveness of heptavalent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine in children younger than five years of age for prevention of pneumonia. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 2002; 21: 810–815.
10. MG Lucero , Pneumococcal conjugate vaccines for preventing vaccine-type invasive pneumococcal disease and X-ray defined pneumonia in children less than two years of age. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2009; Issue 4. Art. No. CD004977.
11. M Pavia , Efficacy of pneumococcal vaccination in children younger than 24 months: a meta-analysis. Pediatrics 2009; 123: e1103–1110.
13. CG Victora , JP Habicht , J Bryce . Evidence-based public health: moving beyond randomized trials. American Journal of Public Health 2004; 94: 400–405.
17. G Enwere , Epidemiology and clinical features of pneumonia according to radiographic findings in Gambian children. Tropical Medicine and International Health 2007; 12: 1377–1385.
18.British Thoracic Society. Guidelines for the management of community acquired pneumonia in childhood. Thorax 2002; 57 (Suppl. 1): i1–24.
19.American Thoracic Society. Dyspnea. Mechanisms, assessment, and management: a consensus statement. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 1999; 159: 321–340.
22. L Gortner , Rates of bronchopulmonary dysplasia in very preterm neonates in Europe: results from the MOSAIC cohort. Neonatology 2011; 99: 112–117.
23. E Koshy , Impact of the seven-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccination (PCV7) programme on childhood hospital admissions for bacterial pneumonia and empyema in England: national time-trends study, 1997–2008. Thorax 2010; 65: 770–774.
24. P De Wals , Pneumonia after implementation of the pneumococcal conjugate vaccine program in the province of Quebec, Canada. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 2008; 27: 963–968.
25. MG Lucero , Efficacy of an 11-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine against radiologically confirmed pneumonia among children less than 2 years of age in the Philippines: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 2009; 28: 455–462.
26. J Hansen , Effectiveness of heptavalent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine in children younger than 5 years of age for prevention of pneumonia: updated analysis using World Health Organization standardized interpretation of chest radiographs. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 2006; 25: 779–781.
27. CG Grijalva , Decline in pneumonia admissions after routine childhood immunisation with pneumococcal conjugate vaccine in the USA: a time-series analysis. Lancet 2007; 369: 1179–1186.
28. SA Madhi , KP Klugman . A role for Streptococcus pneumoniae in virus-associated pneumonia. Nature Medicine 2004; 10: 811–813.
29. M Resti , Community-acquired bacteremic pneumococcal pneumonia in children: diagnosis and serotyping by real-time polymerase chain reaction using blood samples. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2010; 51: 1042–1049.
30. WP Hausdorff , DR Feikin , KP Klugman . Epidemiological differences among pneumococcal serotypes. Lancet Infectious Diseases 2005; 5: 83–93.
31. T van der Poll , SM Opal . Pathogenesis, treatment, and prevention of pneumococcal pneumonia. Lancet 2009; 374: 1543–1556.
32. J Garmendia , P Morey , JA Bengoechea . Impact of cigarette smoke exposure on host-bacterial pathogen interactions. European Respiratory Journal 2012; 39: 467–477.
33. SC Hill , L Liang . Smoking in the home and children's health. Tobacco Control 2008; 17: 32–37.
34. IC Michelow , Epidemiology and clinical characteristics of community-acquired pneumonia in hospitalized children. Pediatrics 2004; 113: 701–707.
35. MI Neuman , Variability in the interpretation of chest radiographs for the diagnosis of pneumonia in children. Journal of Hospital Medicine 2012; 7: 294–298.