L Simonsen ,
The impact of influenza epidemics on mortality: introducing a severity index. American Journal of Public Health
1997; 87: 1944–1950.
L Simonsen ,
Pandemic versus epidemic influenza mortality: a pattern of changing age distribution. Journal of Infectious Diseases
1998; 178: 53–60.
5. RK Gupta , R George , JS Nguyen-Van-Tam . Bacterial pneumonia and pandemic influenza planning. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2008; 14: 1187–1192.
KL Nichol , L Baken , A Nelson . Relation between influenza vaccination and outpatient visits, hospitalization, and mortality in elderly persons with chronic lung disease. Annals of Internal Medicine
1999; 130: 397–403.
REG Upshur , K Knight , V Goel . Time-series analysis of the relation between influenza virus and hospital admissions of the elderly in Ontario, Canada, for pneumonia, chronic lung disease, and congestive heart failure. American Journal of Epidemiology
1999; 149: 85–92.
8. MR Griffin , Winter viruses: influenza and respiratory syncytial virus related morbidity in chronic lung disease. Archives of Internal Medicine 2002; 162: 1229–1236.
KJ Lui , AP Kendal . Impact of influenza epidemics on mortality in the United States from October 1972 to May 1985. American Journal of Public Health
1987; 77: 712–716.
T Reichert ,
Influenza and the winter increase in mortality in the United States, 1959–1999. American Journal of Epidemiology
2004; 160: 492–502.
12. WW Thompson , Mortality associated with influenza and respiratory syncytial virus in the United States. Journal of the American Medical Association 2003; 289: 179–86.
A Chow ,
Influenza-associated deaths in tropical Singapore. Emerging Infectious Diseases
2006; 12: 114–121.
14. CM Wong , Influenza-associated mortality in Hong Kong. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2004; 39: 1611–1617.
C Viboud , WJ Alonso , L Simonsen . Influenza in tropical regions. PLoS Medicine
2006; 3: e89.
17. FEA Moura . Influenza in the tropics. Current Opinion in Infectious Diseases 2010; 23: 415–420.
19. WJ Alonso , Seasonality of influenza in Brazil: a traveling wave from the Amazon to the subtropics. American Journal of Epidemiology 2007; 165: 1434–1442.
RE Serfling . Methods for current statistical analysis of excess pneumonia-influenza deaths. Public Health Reports
1963; 78: 494–506.
28. C Cohen , Elevated influenza-related excess mortality in South African elderly individuals, 1998–2005. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2010; 51: 1362–1369.
29.The Macroepidemiology of Influenza Vaccination (MIV) Study Group. The macroepidemiology of influenza vaccination in 56 countries, 1997–2003. Vaccine 2005; 23: 5133–5143.
JL Antunes ,
Effectiveness of influenza vaccination and its impact on health inequalities. International Journal of Epidemiology
2007; 36: 1319–1326.
WA de Mello ,
The dilemma of influenza vaccine recommendations when applied to the tropics: the Brazilian case examined under alternative scenarios. PLoS One
2009; 4: e5095.
WW Thompson ,
Estimates of US influenza-associated deaths made using four different methods. Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses
2009; 3: 37–49.