2. CL Gyles . Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli: an overview. Journal of Animal Science 2007; 85: E45–62.
16. I Feder , Isolation of Escherichia coli O157:H7 from intact colon faecal samples of swine. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2003; 9: 380–383.
20. JJ Hirvonen , A Siitonen , S-S Kaukoranta . Usability and performance of CHROMagar STEC medium in detection of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli strains. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2012; 50: 3586–3590.
21. JL Wylie , Evaluation of a new chromogenic agar medium for detection of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli (STEC) and relative prevalences of O157 and non-O157 STEC in Manitoba, Canada. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2013; 51: 466–471.
NA Cornick , AF Helgerson . Transmission and infectious dose of Escherichia coli O157:H7 in swine. Applied and Environmental Microbiology
2004; 70: 5331–5335.
27. L Beutin , Identification of human-pathogenic strains of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli from food by a combination of serotyping and molecular typing of Shiga toxin genes. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 2007; 73: 4769–4775.
31. D Pierard , Diarrhoea associated with Escherichia coli producing porcine oedema disease verotoxin. Lancet 1991; 338: 762.
32. M Muniesa , Characterization of a Shiga toxin 2e-converting bacteriophage from an Escherichia coli strain of human origin. Infection and Immunity 2000; 68: 4850–5.
33. AW Friedrich , Escherichia coli harboring Shiga toxin 2 gene variants: frequency and association with clinical symptoms. Journal of Infectious Diseases 2002; 185: 74–84.
34. L Beutin , Characterization of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli strains isolated from human patients in Germany over a 3-year period. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2004; 42: 1099–1108.
35. PM Fratamico , Characterization of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli strains isolated from swine faeces. Foodborne Pathogen and Disease 2008; 5: 827–838.
G Frankel , AD Phillips . Attaching effacing Escherichia coli and paradigms of Tir-triggered actin polymerization: getting off the pedestal. Cellular Microbiology
2008; 10: 549–556.
DM Jordan , SL Booher , HW Moon .
Escherichia coli O157:H7 does not require intimin to persist in pigs. Infection and Immunity
2005; 73: 1865–1867.
39. M Bielaszewska , Characterisation of the Escherichia coli strain associated with an outbreak of haemolytic uraemic syndrome in Germany, 2011: a microbiological study. The Lancet Infectious Diseases 2011; 11: 671–676.
40. AW Paton , Characterization of Saa, a novel autoagglutinating adhesin produced by locus of enterocyte effacement-negative Shiga-toxigenic Escherichia coli strains that are virulent for humans. Infection and Immunity 2001; 69: 6999–7009.