This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. AD Lopez , Global and regional burden of disease and risk factors, 2001: systematic analysis of population health data. Lancet 2006; 367: 1747–1757.
2. JN Zuckerman , L Rombo , A Fisch . The true burden and risk of cholera: implications for prevention and control. Lancet Infectious Diseases 2007; 7: 521–530.
7. ME Lucas , Effectiveness of mass oral cholera vaccination in Beira, Mozambique. New England Journal of Medicine 2005; 352: 757–767.
D Sur ,
Efficacy of a low-cost, inactivated whole-cell oral cholera vaccine: results from 3 years of follow-up of a randomized, controlled trial. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases
2011; 5: e1289.
9. HJ Larson , Addressing the vaccine confidence gap. Lancet 2011; 378: 526–535.
11. J Raude , AL Caille-Brillet , M Setbon . The 2009 pandemic H1N1 influenza vaccination in France: who accepted to receive the vaccine and why? PLoS Currents 2010; 2: RRN1188.
12. GL Mortensen . Drivers and barriers to acceptance of human-papillomavirus vaccination among young women: a qualitative and quantitative study. BMC Public Health 2010; 10: 68.
Z Islam ,
Private demand for cholera vaccines in rural Matlab, Bangladesh. Health Policy
2008; 85: 184–195.
D Kim ,
Private demand for cholera vaccines in Hue, Vietnam. Value in Health
2008; 11: 119–128.
15. ME Lucas , Private demand for cholera vaccines in Beira, Mozambique. Vaccine 2007; 25: 2599–2609.
D DeRoeck ,
Policymakers' views regarding the introduction of new-generation vaccines against typhoid fever, shigellosis and cholera in Asia. Vaccine
2005; 23: 2762–2774.
M Ali ,
Community participation in two vaccination trials in slums of Kolkata, India: a multi-level analysis. Journal of Health, Population and Nutrition
2010; 28: 450–457.
18. DR Feikin , CW Tabu , J Gichuki . Does water hyacinth on East African lakes promote cholera outbreaks? American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 2010; 83: 370–373.
20. OT Shikanga , High mortality in a cholera outbreak in western Kenya after post-election violence in 2008. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 2009; 81: 1085–1090.
MG Weiss . Cultural epidemiology: an introduction and overview. Anthropology and Medicine
2001; 8: 5–29.
23. D Olago , Climatic, socio-economic, and health factors affecting human vulnerability to cholera in the Lake Victoria basin, East Africa. Ambio 2007; 36: 350–358.
25. C Schaetti , Oral cholera vaccine use in Zanzibar: socioeconomic and behavioural features affecting demand and acceptance. BMC Public Health 2009; 9: 99.
MG Weiss . Explanatory Model Interview Catalogue (EMIC): framework for comparative study of illness. Transcultural Psychiatry
1997; 34: 235–263.
C Schaetti ,
Social and cultural features of cholera and shigellosis in peri-urban and rural communities of Zanzibar. BMC Infectious Diseases
2010; 10: 339.
28. S Teitler-Regev , S Shahrabani , U Benzion . Factors affecting intention among students to be vaccinated against A/H1N1 influenza: a health belief model approach. Advances in Preventive Medicine 2011; 2011: 353207.
29. MK Nations , CM Monte . ‘I'm not dog, no!’: cries of resistance against cholera control campaigns. Social Science & Medicine 1996; 43: 1007–1024.
30. M Parker , T Allen , J Hastings . Resisting control of neglected tropical diseases: dilemmas in the mass treatment of schistosomiasis and soil-transmitted helminths in north-west Uganda. Journal of Biosocial Science 2008; 40: 161–181.
32. S Mitchell , Equity and vaccine uptake: a cross-sectional study of measles vaccination in Lasbela District, Pakistan. BMC International Health and Human Rights 2009; 9 (Suppl.1): S7.
33. EN Matu , J vanStaden . Antibacterial and anti-inflammatory activities of some plants used for medicinal purposes in Kenya. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 2003; 87: 35–41.
JA Cassell ,
The social shaping of childhood vaccination practice in rural and urban Gambia. Health Policy and Planning
2006; 21: 373–391.
WL Ruijs ,
Religious subgroups influencing vaccination coverage in the Dutch Bible belt: an ecological study. BMC Public Health
2011; 11: 102.
AS Jegede . What led to the Nigerian boycott of the polio vaccination campaign?
2007; 4: e73.
37. L Fourn , Determinants of parents' reticence toward vaccination in urban areas in Benin (West Africa). BMC International Health and Human Rights 2009; 9 (Suppl.1): S14.