This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. WE Stamm . Catheter-associated urinary tract infections: epidemiology, pathogenesis, and prevention. Am J Med 1991;91:65S–71S.
2. MJ Richards , JR Edwards , DH Culver , RP Gaynes . Nosocomial infections in medical intensive care units in the United States: National Nosocomial Infections Surveillance System. Crit Care Med 1999:27: 887–892.
4. KB Laupland , DA Zygun , HD Davies , DL Church , TJ Louie , CJ Doig . Incidence and risk factors for acquiring nosocomial urinary tract infection in the critically ill. J Crit Care 2002;17:50–57.
5. S Saint . Clinical and economic consequences of nosocomial catheter-related bacteriuria. Am J Infect Control 2000;28:68–75.
6. R Platt , BF Polk , B Murdock , B Rosner . Mortality associated with nosocomial urinary-tract infection. N Engl J Med 1982;307:637–641.
8. CD Givens , RP Wenzel . Catheter-associated urinary tract infections in surgical patients: a controlled study on the excess morbidity and costs. J Urol 1980;124:646–648.
9. S Saint , BA Lipsky , PD Baker , LL McDonald , K Ossenkop . Urinary catheters: what type do men and their nurses prefer? J Am Geriatr Soc 1999;47:1453–1457.
10. R Platt , BF Polk , B Murdock , B Rosner . Risk factors for nosocomial urinary tract infection. Am J Epidemiol 1986;124:977–985.
11. DG Maki , PA Tambyah . Engineering out the risk of infection with urinary catheters. Emerg Infect Dis 2001;7:342–347.
12. CM Kunin , RC McCormack . Prevention of catheter-induced urinary-tract infections by sterile closed drainage. N Engl J Med 1966:274:115–511
13. RP Stark , DG Maki . Bacteriuria in the catheterized patient: what quantitative level of bacteriuria is relevant? N Engl J Med 1984;311:560–564.
14. S Saint , J Wiese , JK Amory , et al. Are physicians aware of which of their patients have indwelling urinary catheters? Am J Med 2000; 109:476–480.
15. R Jain , JP Parada , A David , LG Smith . Overuse of the indwelling urinary tract catheter in hospitalized medical patients. Arch Intern Med 1995;155:1425–1429.
16. JS Garner , WR Jarvis , TG Emori , TC Horan , JM Hughes . CDC definitions for nosocomial infections. Am J Infect Control 1988;16:28–40.
18. PA Tambyah , DG Maki . The relationship between pyuria and infection in patients with indwelling urinary catheters: a prospective study of 761 patients. Arch Intern Med 2000;160:673–677.
19. PA Tambyah , DG Maki . Catheter-associated urinary tract infection is rarely symptomatic: a prospective study of 1497 catheterized patients. Arch Intern Med 2000;160:678–682.
20. DT Bjork , LL Pelletier , RR Tight . Urinary tract infections with antibiotic resistant organisms in catheterized nursing home patients. Infect Control 1984;5:173–176.
21. JT Magee , EL Pritchard , KA Fitzgerald , FD Dunstan , AJ Howard . Antibiotic prescribing and antibiotic resistance in community practice: retrospective study, 1996-8. Br Med J 1999;319:1239–1240.
22. RW Haley , DR Schaberg , KB Crossley , SD Von Allmen , JE McGowan Jr. Extra charges and prolongation of stay attributable to nosocomial infections: a prospective interhospital comparison. Am J Med 1981;70:51–58.
24. PA Tambyah , V Knasinski , DG Maki . The direct costs of nosocomial catheter-associated urinary tract infection in the era of managed care. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2002;23:27–31.
25. JY Fagon , A Novara , F Stephan , E Girou , M Safar . Mortality attributable to nosocomial infections in the intensive care unit. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1994;15:428–434.
26. PB Cornia , JK Amory , S Fraser , S Saint , BA Lipsky . Computer-based order entry deceases duration of indwelling urinary catheterization in hospitalized patients. Am J Med 2003;114:404–406.
27. R Slappendel , EW Weber . Non-invasive measurement of bladder volume as an indication for bladder catheterization after orthopedic surgery and its effect on urinary tract infections. Eur J Anaesthesiol 1999;16:503–506.
28. RA Bologna , LM Tu , M Polansky , HD Fraimow , DA Gordon , KE Whitmore . Hydrogel/silver ion-coated urinary catheter reduces nosocomial urinary tract infection rates in intensive care unit patients: a multicenter study. Urology 1999;54:982–987.