This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
10. JWA Ramsay , AJ Garnham , AB Mulhall , RA Crow , JM Bryan , I Eardley , et al. Biofilms, bacteria, and bladder catheters: a clinical study. British Journal of Urology 1989;64:395–398.
12. CM Kunin . Blockage of urinary catheters. The role of micro-organisms and constituents of urine on the formation of encrustations. J Clin Epidemiol 1989;42:835–842.
14. D Bergqvist , R Bronnestam , H Hedelin , A Stahl . The relevance of urinary sampling methods in patients with indwelling Foley catheters. British Journal of Urology 1980;52:92–95.
17. JW Warren , D Damron , JH Tenney , JM Hoopes , B Deforge , HL Muncie Jr Fever, bacteremia and death as complications of bacteriuria in women with long-term urethral catheters. J Infect Dis 1987;155:1151–1158.
18. P Orr , LE Nicolle , H Duckworth , J Brunka , J Kennedy , D Murray , et al. Febrile urinary infection in the institutionalized elderly. Am J Med 1996;100:71–77.
20. HL Muncie Jr JM Hoopes , DJ Damron , JH Tenney , JW Warren . Once-daily irrigation of long-term urethral catheters with normal saline. Arch Intern Med 1989;149:441–443.
22. JW Warren , HL Muncie Jr M Hall-Craggs . Acute pyelonephritis associated with bacteriuria during long-term catheterization: a prospective, clinicopathological study. J Infect Dis 1988;158:1341–1346.
25. HJM Cools , JWM van der Meer . Restriction of long-term indwelling urethral catheterization in the elderly. British Journal of Urology 1986;58:683–688.
27. PW Smith , PG Rusnak . Infection prevention and control in the long term care facility. SHEA Long-Term–Care Committee and APIC Guidelines Committee. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1997;18:831–849.
28. PA Tambyah , DG Maki . The relationship between pyuria and infection in patients with indwelling urinary catheters. Arch Intern Med 2000;160:673–682.
29. DK Steward , GL Wood , RL Cohen , JW Smith , PA Mackowiak . Failure of the urinalysis and quantitative urine culture in diagnosing symptomatic urinary tract infections in patients with long term urinary catheters. Am J Infect Control 1985;13:159–160.
30. B Alling , A Brandberg , S Seeberg , A Svanborg . Effect of consecutive antibacterial therapy on bacteriuria in hospitalized geriatric patients. Scand J Infect Dis 1975;7:201–207.
31. JW Warren , WC Anthony , JM Hoopes , HL Muncie Jr Cephalexin for susceptible bacteriuria in afebrile, long-term catheterized patients. JAMA 1982;248:454–458.
35. MT Cafferkey , FR Falkiner , WA Gillespie , DM Murphy . Antibiotics for the prevention of septicemia in urology. J Antimicrob Chemother 1982;9:471–477.
36. LA Jewes , WA Gillespie , A Leadbetter , B Myers , RA Simpson , MJ Stower , et al. Bacteriuria and bacteremia in patients with long-term indwelling catheters—a domiciliary study. J Med Microbiol 1988;26:61–65.
37. T Bregenzer , R Frei , AF Widmer , W Seiler , W Probst , G Mattarelli , et al. Low risk of bacteremia during catheter replacement in patients with long-term urinary catheters. Arch Intern Med 1997;157:521–525.
39. LE Nicolle . A practical approach to the management of complicated urinary tract infection. Drugs 1997;53:583–592.