This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. Raad II, GP Bodey Infectious complications of indwelling vascular catheters. Clin Infect Dis 1992;15:197–208.
2. MP Weinstein , ML Towns , SM Quartey , S Mirrett , LG Reimer , G Parmigiani , et al. The clinical significance of positive blood cultures in the 1990s: a prospective comprehensive evaluation of the microbiology, epidemiology, and outcome of bacteremia and fungemia in adults. Clin Infect Dis 1997;24:584–602.
5. DG Maki , CE Weise , HW Sarafin . A semiquantitative culture method for identifying intravenous-catheter-related infection. N Engl J Med 1977;296:1305–1309.
7. ML Pearson . Guideline for prevention of intravascular device-related infections. Hospital Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1996;17:438–473.
9. F Blot , G Nitenberg , E Chachaty , B Raynard , N Germann , S Antoun , et al. Diagnosis of catheter-related bacteraemia: a prospective comparison of the time to positivity of hub-blood versus peripheral-blood cultures. Lancd 1999;354:1071–1077.
11. AA Hampton , RJ Sherertz . Vascular-access infections in hospitalized patients. Surg Clin North Am 1988;68:57–71.
12. ML Corona , SG Peters , BJ Narr , RL Thompson . Infections related to central venous catheters. Mayo Clin Proc 1990;65:979–986.
14. A Sitges-Serra , P Puig , J Linares , JL Perez , N Farrero , E Jaurrieta , et al. Hub colonization as the initial step in an outbreak of catheter-related sepsis due to coagulase negative staphylococci during parenteral nutrition. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 1984;8:668–672.
15. DS Kovacevich , WC Faubion , JM Bender , DR Schaberg , JR Wesley . Association of parenteral nutrition catheter sepsis with urinary tract infections. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 1986;10:639–641.
16. DG Maki , FS Rhame , DC Mackel , JV Bennett . Nationwide epidemic of septicemia caused by contaminated intravenous products, I: epidemiologic and clinical features. Am J Med 1976;60:471–485.
17. S Tennenberg , M Lieser , B McCurdy , G Boomer , E Howington , C Newman , et al. A prospective randomized trial of an antibiotic- and antiseptic-coated central venous catheter in the prevention of catheter-related infections. Arch Surg 1997;132:1348–1351.
18. DG Maki , SM Stolz , S Wheeler , L Mermel . Prevention of central venous catheter-related bloodstream infection by use of an antiseptic-impregnated catheter. A randomized, controlled trial. Ann Intern Med 1997;127:257–266.
21. A Bach , H Bohrer , BW Bottiger , J Motsch , E Martin . Reduction of bacterial colonization of triple-lumen catheters with antiseptic bonding in septic patients. Anesthesiology 1994;81:A261. Abstract.
22. A Bach , H Schmidt , B Bottiger , B Schreiber , H Bohrer , J Motsch , et al. Retention of antibacterial activity and bacterial colonization of antiseptic-bonded central venous catheters. J Antimicrob Chemother 1996;37:315–322.
23. SO Heard , M Wagle , E Vijayakumar , S McLean , A Brueggemann , LM Napolitano , et al. Influence of triple-lumen central venous catheters coated with Chlorhexidine and silver sulfadiazine on the incidence of catheter-related bacteremia. Arch Intern Med 1998;158:81–87.
24. GR Collin . Decreasing catheter colonization through the use of an antiseptic-impregnated catheter: a continuous quality improvement project. Chest 1999;115:1632–1640.
26. LB Pemberton , V Ross , P Cuddy , H Kremer , T Fessler , E McGurk . No difference in catheter sepsis between standard and antiseptic central venous catheters. A prospective randomized trial. Arch Surg 1996;131:986–989.
27. J Ramsay , F Nolte , S Schwarzmann . Incidence of catheter colonization and catheter-related infection with an antiseptic-impregnated triple lumen catheter. Crit Care Med 1994;22:A115. Abstract
28. S Trazzera , G Stern , B Rakesh , S Sinha , P Reiser . Examination of antimicrobial-coated central venous catheters in patients at high- risk for catheter-related infections in a medical intensive care unit and leukemia/bone marrow transplant unit. Crit Care Med 1995;23:A152. Abstract.
29. SJ George , P Vuddamalay , MJ Boscoe . Antiseptic-impregnated central venous catheters reduce the incidence of bacterial colonization and associated infection in immunocompromised transplant patients. Eur J Anaesthesiol 1997;14:428–431.
31. NM Laird , F Mosteller . Some statistical methods for combining experimental results. Int J Technol Assess Health Care 1990;6:5–30.
32. S Saint , DL Veenstra , SD Sullivan . The use of meta-analysis in cost-effectiveness analysis: issues and recommendations. PharmacoEconomics 1999;15:1–8.
34.National Nosocomial Infections Surveillance (NNIS) System report, data summary from October 1986-April 1998, issued June 1998. Am J Infect Control 1998;26:522–533.
35. D Pittet , D Tarara , RP Wenzel . Nosocomial bloodstream infection in critically ill patients. Excess length of stay, extra costs, and attributable mortality. JAMA 1994;271:1598–1601.
37. RL Smith , SM Meixler , MS Simberkoff . Excess mortality in critically ill patients with nosocomial bloodstream infections. Chest 1991;100: 164–167.
38. B Digiovine , C Chenoweth , C Watts , M Higgins . The attributable mortality and costs of primary nosocomial bloodstream infections in the intensive care unit. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1999;160:976–981.
40. JM Civetta , J Hudson-Civetta , S Ball . Decreasing catheter-related infection and hospital costs by continuous quality improvement. Crit Care Med 1996;24:1660–1665.
RP Wenzel , RL Thompson , SM Landry , BS Russell , PJ Miller , S Ponce de Leon , et al. Hospital-acquired infections in intensive care unit patients: an overview with emphasis on epidemics. Infect Control
42. PM Arnow , EM Quimosing , M Beach . Consequences of intravascular catheter sepsis. Clin Infect Dis 1993;16:778–784.
43. DL Veenstra , S Saint , SD Sullivan . Cost-effectiveness of antiseptic-impregnated central venous catheters for the prevention of catheter-related bloodstream infection. JAMA 1999;282:554–560.
44. S Saint , MA Matthay . Risk reduction in the intensive care unit. Am J Med 1998;105:515–523.
45. AG Randolph , DJ Cook , CA Gonzales , C Brun-Buisson . Tunneling short-term central venous catheters to prevent catheter-related infection: a meta-analysis of randomized, controlled trials. Crit Care Med 1998;26:1452–1457.
46. AG Randolph , DJ Cook , CA Gonzales , M Andrew . Benefit of heparin in peripheral venous and arterial catheters: systematic review and metaanalysis of randomised controlled trials. BMJ 1998;316:969–975.
47. AG Randolph , DJ Cook , CA Gonzales , M Andrew . Benefit of heparin in central venous and pulmonary artery catheters: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Chest 1998;113:165–171.
48. RO Darouiche , Raad II, SO Heard , JI Thornby , OC Wenker , A Gabrielli , et al. A comparison of two antimicrobial-impregnated central venous catheters. Catheter Study Group. N Engl J Med 1999;340:1–8.