This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. N Safdar , C Dezfulian , HR Collard , S Saint . Clinical and economie consequences of ventilator-associated pneumonia: a systematic review. Crit Care Med 2005;33:2184–2193.
4. J Relio , C Lorente , M Bodi , E Diaz , M Ricart , MH Kollef . Why do physicians not follow evidence-based guidelines for preventing ventilator-associated pneumonia? a survey based on the opinions of an international panel of intensivists. Chest 2002;122:656–661.
5. DE Craven . Preventing ventilator-associated pneumonia in adults: sowing seeds of change. Chest 2006;130:251–260.
6. PJ Pronoyost , SM Berenholtz , C Goeschel , et al.Improving patient safety in intensive care units in Michigan. J Crit Care 2008;23:207–221.
7. P Pronovost , D Needham , S Berenholtz , et al.An intervention to decrease catheter-related bloodstream infections in the ICU. N Engl J Med 2006;355:2725–2732.
8. P Pronovost , S Berenholtz , T Dorman , PA Lipsett , T Simmonds , C Haraden . Improving communication in the ICU using daily goals. J Crit Care 2003;18:71–75.
10. JB Sexton , RL Helmreich , TB Neilands , et al.The safety attitudes questionnaire: psychometric properties, benchmarking data, and emerging research. BMC Health Serv Res 2006;6:44.
12. SM Berenholtz , TL Hartsell , PJ Pronovost . Learning from defects to enhance morbidity and mortality conferences. Am J Med Qual 2009;24:192–195.
20. SM Berenholtz , T Dorman , K Ngo , PJ Pronovost . Qualitative review of intensive care unit quality indicators. J Crit Care 2002;17:1–12.
21. PJ Pronovost , SM Berenholtz , K Ngo , et al.Developing and pilot testing quality indicators in the intensive care unit. J Crit Care 2003;18:145–155.
23. T Sinuff , J Muscedere , D Cook , P Dodek , D Heyland , Canadian Critical Care Trials Group. Ventilator-associated pneumonia: improving outcomes through guideline implementation. J Crit Care 2008;23:118–125.
24. PJ Pronovost , SM Berenholtz , CA Goeschel , et al.Creating high reliability in healthcare organizations. Health Serv Res 2006;41:1599–1617.
25. P Dodek , S Keenan , D Cook , et al.Evidence-based clinical practice guideline for the prevention of ventilator-associated pneumonia. Ann Intern Med 2004;141:305–313.
26. TC Horan , M Andrus , MA Dudeck . CDC/NHSN surveillance definition of health care-associated infection and criteria for specific types of infections in the acute care setting. Am J Infect Control 2008;36:309–332.
28. A Skrondal , S Rabe-Hesketh . Generalized Latent Variable Modeling: Multilevel, Longitudinal, and Structural Equation Models. Boca Raton, FL: Chapman 8c Hall/CRC; 2004.
29. PJ Pronovost , SM Berenholtz , DM Needham . Translating evidence into practice: a model for large-scale knowledge translation. BMJ 2008;337:963–965.
30. CL Bosk , M Dixon-Woods , CA Goeschel , PJ Pronovost . Reality check for checklists. Lancet 2009;374:444–445.
31. CS Cocanour , M Peninger , BD Domonoske , et al.Decreasing ventilator-associated pneumonia in a trauma ICU. J Trauma 2006;61:122–130.
32. M Jain , L Miller , D Belt , D King , DM Berwick . Decline in ICU adverse events, nosocomial infections and cost through a quality improvement initiative focusing on teamwork and culture change. Qual Saf Health Care 2006;15:235–239.
33. JJ DuBose , K Inaba , A Shiflett , et al.Measurable outcomes of quality improvement in the trauma intensive care unit: the impact of a daily quality rounding checklist. J Trauma 2008;64:22–29.
34. D Bird , A Zambuto , C O'Donnell , et al.Adherence to ventilator-associated pneumonia bundle and incidence of ventilator-associated pneumonia in the surgical intensive care unit. Arch Surg 2010;145:465–470.
35. HM Babcock , JE Zack , T Garrison , et al.An educational intervention to reduce ventilator-associated pneumonia in an integrated health system: a comparison of effects. Chest 2004;125:2224–2231.
36. VD Rosenthal , S Guzman , C Crnich . Impact of an infection control program on rates of ventilator-associated pneumonia in intensive care units in 2 Argentinean hospitals. Am J Infect Control 2006;34:58–63.
37. R Esmail , G Duchscherer , J Giesbrecht , J King , P Ritchie , D Zuege . Prevention of ventilator-associated pneumonia in the Calgary health region: a Canadian success story! Healthc Q 2008;11:129–136.
39. LM Schouten , ME Hulscher , JJ van Everdingen , R Huijsman , RP Grol . Evidence for the impact of quality improvement collaboratives: systematic review. BMJ 2008;336:1491–1494.
40. JR Edwards , KD Peterson , ML Andrus , et al.National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) report, data summary for 2006, issued June 2007. Am J Infect Control 2007;35:290–301.
41. MD Zilberberg , AF Shorr , MH Kollef . Implementing quality improvements in the intensive care unit: ventilator bundle as an example. Crit Care Med 2009;37:305–309.
42. AN Lipitz , D Steinwachs , DM Needham , et al.Impact of a statewide ICU quality improvement initiative on hospital mortality and length of stay. BMJ 2011;342:d219.