This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
4. JM Boyce . Environmental contamination makes an important contribution to hospital infection. J Hosp Infect 2007;65:50–54.
5. D Blythe , D Keenlyside , SJ Dawson , A Galloway . Environmental contamination due to methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). J Hosp Infect 1998;38:67–69.
6. AN Duckro , DW Blom , EA Lyle , RA Weinstein , MK Hayden . Transfer of vancomycin-resistant enterococci via health care worker hands. Arch Intern Med 2005;165:302–307.
8. A Kramer , I Schwebke , G Kampf . How long do nosocomial pathogens persist on inanimate surfaces? a systematic review. BMC Infect Dis 2006;6:130.
9. SS Huang , R Datta , R Platt . Risk of acquiring antibiotic-resistant bacteria from prior room occupants. Arch Intern Med 2006;166:1945–1951.
11. WC Huskins , CM Huckabee , NP O'Grady , et al.Intervention to reduce transmission of resistant bacteria in intensive care. N Engl J Med 2011;364:1407–1418.
18. JO Noyce , H Michels , CW Keevil . Potential use of copper surfaces to reduce survival of epidemic methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in the healthcare environment. J Hosp Infect 2006;63:289–297.
19. SL Warnes , SM Green , HT Michels , CW Keevil . Biocidal efficacy of copper alloys against pathogenic enterococci involves degradation of genomic and plasmid DNAs. Appi Environ Microbiol 2010;76:5390–5401.
20. L Weaver , HT Michels , CW Keevil . Survival of Clostridium difficile on copper and steel: futuristic options for hospital hygiene. J Hosp Infect 2008;68:145–151.
21. L Weaver , JO Noyce , HT Michels , CW Keevil . Potential action of copper surfaces on methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. J Appl Microbiol 2010;109:2200–2205.
22. G Grass , C Rensing , M Solioz . Metallic copper as an antimicrobial surface. Appl Environ Microbiol 2011;77:1541–1547.
23. S Mehtar , I Wiid , SD Todorov . The antimicrobial activity of copper and copper alloys against nosocomial pathogens and Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolated from healthcare facilities in the Western Cape: an in-vitro study. J Hosp Infect 2008;68:45–51.
24. F Marais , S Mehtar , L Chalkley . Antimicrobial efficacy of copper touch surfaces in reducing environmental bioburden in a South African community healthcare facility. J Hosp Infect 2010;74:80–82.
25. MG Schmidt , HH Attaway , PA Sharpe , et al.Sustained reduction of microbial burden on common hospital surfaces through the introduction of copper. J Clin Microbiol 2012;50(7):2217–2223.
26. A Mikolay , S Huggett , L Tikana , G Grass , J Braun , DH Nies . Survival of bacteria on metallic copper surfaces in a hospital trial. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 2010;87:1875–1879.
27. AL Casey , D Adams , TJ Karpanen , et al.Role of copper in reducing hospital environment contamination. J Hosp Infect 2010;74:72–77.
30. R Jain , SM Kralovic , ME Evans , et al.Veterans Affairs initiative to prevent methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections. N Engl J Med 2011;364:1419–1430.
33. MG Schmidt , T Anderson , H Attaway , et al.Patient environment microbial burden reduction: a pilot study comparison of two terminal cleaning methods. Am J Infect Control 2012;40:559–561.
34. TC Horan , M Andrus , MA Dudeck . CDC/NHSN surveillance definition of health care-associated infection and criteria for specific types of infections in the acute care setting. Am J Infect Control 2008;36:309–332.
35.American Thoracic Society, Infectious Diseases Society of America. Guidelines for the management of adults with hospital-acquired, ventilator-associated, and healthcare-associated pneumonia. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2005;171:388–416.
36. DJ Weber , WA Rutala . Self-disinfecting surfaces. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2012;33:10–13.