This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1.National Nosocomial Infections Surveillance (NNIS) System Report, data summary from January 1992 through June 2004, issued October 2004. Am J Infect Control 2004; 32:470–485.
2. MJ Richards , JR Edwards , DH Culver , RP Gaynes . Nosocomial infections in coronary care units in the United States. National Nosocomial Infections Surveillance System. Am J Cardiol 1998; 82:789–793.
3. JM Hughes . Study on the efficacy of nosocomial infection control (SENIC Project): results and implications for the future. Chemotherapy 1988; 34:553–561.
4. CS Reed , G Gorrie , D Spelman . Hospital infection control in Australia. J Hosp Infect 2003; 54:267–271.
5. DJ Cook , SD Walter , RJ Cook , et al. Incidence of and risk factors for ventilator-associated pneumonia in critically ill patients. Ann Intern Med 1998; 129:433–440.
7. WR Jarvis . Selected aspects of the socioeconomic impact of nosocomial infections: morbidity, mortality, cost, and prevention. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1996; 17:552–557.
8. JY Fagon , J Chastre , A Vuagnat , JL Trouillet , A Novara , C Gibert . Nosocomial pneumonia and mortality among patients in intensive care units. JAMA 1996; 275:866–869.
11. JY Fagon , A Novara , F Stephan , E Girou , M Safar . Mortality attributable to nosocomial infections in the ICU. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1994; 15:428–434.
13. JS Garner , WR Jarvis , TG Emori , TC Horan , JM Hughes . CDC definitions for nosocomial infections, 1988. Am J Infect Control 1988; 16:128–140.
14. JL Vincent , DJ Bihari , PM Suter , et al. The prevalence of nosocomial infection in intensive care units in Europe. Results of the European Prevalence of Infection in Intensive Care (EPIC) Study. EPIC International Advisory Committee. JAMA 1995; 274:639–644.
15. D Pittet , B Thievent , R Wenzel , N Li , R Auckenthaler , P Suter . Bedside prediction of mortality from bacteremic sepsis. A dynamic analysis of ICU patients. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1996; 153:684–693.
16. N Safdar , CJ Crnich , DG Maki . Nosocomial infections in the intensive care unit associated with invasive medical devices. Curr Infect Dis Rep 2001; 3:487–495.
18. E Velasco , LC Thuler , CA Martins , LM Dias , VM Goncalves . Nosocomial infections in an oncology intensive care unit. Am J Infect Control 1997; 25:458–462.
23. DG Maki , CE Weise , HW Sarafin . A semiquantitative culture method for identifying intravenous-catheter-related infection. N Engl J Med 1977; 296:1305–1309.
24. F Higuera , VD Rosenthal , P Duarte , J Ruiz , G Franco , N Safdar . The effect of process control on the incidence of central venous catheter–associated bloodstream infections and mortality in intensive care units in Mexico. Crit Care Med 2005; 33:2022–2027.
26. VD Rosenthal , S Guzman , O Migone , CJ Crnich . The attributable cost, length of hospital stay, and mortality of central line–associated bloodstream infection in intensive care departments in Argentina: a prospective, matched analysis. Am J Infect Control 2003; 31:475–480.
29. D Pittet , D Tarara , RP Wenzel . Nosocomial bloodstream infection in critically ill patients. Excess length of stay, extra costs, and attributable mortality. JAMA 1994; 271:1598–1601.
30. VD Rosenthal , S Guzman , O Migone , N Safdar . The attributable cost and length of hospital stay because of nosocomial pneumonia in intensive care units in 3 hospitals in Argentina: a prospective, matched analysis. Am J Infect Control 2005; 33:157–161.
32. JM Lopes , E Tonelli , JA Lamounier , et al. Prospective surveillance applying the national nosocomial infection surveillance methods in a Brazilian pediatric public hospital. Am J Infect Control 2002; 30:1–7.
33. G Martinez-Aguilar , MC Anaya-Arriaga , C Avila-Figueroa . Incidence of nosocomial bacteremia and pneumonia in pediatric unit. Salud Publica Mex 2001; 43:515–523.
35. JC Tinoco , J Salvador-Moysen , MC Perez-Prado , G Santillan-Martinez , L Salcido-Gutierrez . Epidemiology of nosocomial infections in a second level hospital. Salud Publica Mex 1997; 39:25–31.
41. NP O'Grady , M Alexander , EP Dellinger , et al. Guidelines for the prevention of intravascular catheter-related infections. Am J Infect Control 2002; 30:476–489.
42. JM Boyce , D Pittet . Guideline for hand hygiene in health-care settings: Recommendations of the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee and the HICPAC/SHEA/APIC/IDSA Hand Hygiene Task Force. Am J Infect Control 2002; 30:1–46.
43. VD Rosenthal , S Guzman , N Safdar . Reduction in nosocomial infection with improved hand hygiene in intensive care units of a tertiary care hospital in Argentina. Am J Infect Control 2005; 33:392–397.
45. VD Rosenthal , RD McCormick , S Guzman , C Villamayor , PW Orellano . Effect of education and performance feedback on handwashing: the benefit of administrative support in Argentinean hospitals. Am J Infect Control 2003;31:85–92.
46. VD Rosenthal , DG Maki . Prospective study of the impact of open and closed infusion systems on rates of central venous catheter–associated bacteremia. Am J Infect Control 2004; 32:135–141.
47. VD Rosenthal , S Guzman , N Safdar . Effect of education and performance feedback on rates of catheter-associated urinary tract infection in intensive care units in Argentina. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2004; 25:47–50.
48. VD Rosenthal , S Guzman , C Crnich . Impact of an infection control program on rates of ventilator-associated pneumonia in intensive care units in 2 Argentinean hospitals. Am J Infect Control 2006; 34:58–63.
51. I Kurlat , G Corral , F Oliveira , G Farinella , E Alvarez . Infection control strategies in a neonatal intensive care unit in Argentina. J Hosp Infect 1998; 40:149–154.
52. DE Berg , RC Hershow , CA Ramirez , RA Weinstein . Control of nosocomial infections in an intensive care unit in Guatemala City. Clin Infect Dis 1995; 21:588–593.
54. S Lemeshow , JR Le Gall . Modeling the severity of illness of ICU patients: a systems update. JAMA 1994; 272:1049–1055.
55. N Safdar , DG Maki . The commonality of risk factors for nosocomial colonization and infection with antimicrobial-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, Enterococcus, gram-negative bacilli, Clostridium difficile, and Candida. Ann Intern Med 2002; 136:834–844.