This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. HM Eriksen , BG Iversen , P Aavitsland . Prevalence of nosocomial infections in hospitals in Norway, 2002 and 2003. J Hosp Infect 2005;60 40–45
2. A Lizioli , G Privitera , E Alliata , et al. Prevalence of nosocomial infections in Italy: result from the Lombardy survey in 2000. J Hosp Infect 2003;54:141–148.
4. JL Vincent , DJ Bihari , PM Suter , et al. The prevalence of nosocomial infection in intensive care units in Europe: results of the European Prevalence of Infection in Intensive Care (EPIC) Study. EPIC International Advisory Committee. JAMA 1995;274:639–644.
6. VD Rosenthal , S Guzman , PW Orellano . Nosocomial infections in medical-surgical intensive care units in Argentina: attributable mortality and length of stay. Am J Infect Control 2003;31:291–295.
7. S Vosylius , J Sipylaite , J Ivaskevicius . Intensive care unit-acquired infection: a prevalence and impact on morbidity and mortality. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 2003;47:1132–1137.
8. M Garcia-Martin , P Lardelli-Claret , JJ Jimenez-Moleon , A Bueno-Cavanillas , JD Luna-del-Castillo , R Galvez-Vargas . Proportion of hospital deaths potentially attributable to nosocomial infection. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2001;22:708–714.
9. KB Laupland , SM Bagshaw , DB Gregson , AW Kirkpatrick , T Ross , DL Church . Intensive care unit-acquired urinary tract infections in a regional critical care system. Crit Care 2005;9:R60–R65.
10. PA Tambyah , DG Maki . Catheter-associated urinary tract infection is rarely symptomatic: a prospective study of 1,497 catheterized patients. Arch Intern Med 2000;160:678–682.
11. DG Maki , PA Tambyah . Engineering out the risk for infection with urinary catheters. Emerg Infect Dis 2001;7:342–347.
12. G Mnatzaganian , N Galai , CL Sprung , et al. Increased risk of bloodstream and urinary infections in intensive care unit (ICU) patients compared with patients fitting ICU admission criteria treated in regular wards. J Hosp Infect 2005;59:331–342.
14. KB Laupland , DA Zygun , HD Davies , DL Church , TJ Louie , CJ Doig . Incidence and risk factors for acquiring nosocomial urinary tract infection in the critically ill. J Crit Care 2002;17:50–57.
15. M Leone , J Albanese , F Gamier , et al. Risk factors of nosocomial catheter-associated urinary tract infection in a polyvalent intensive care unit. Intensive Care Med 2003;29:1077–1080.
17. E Tissot , S Limat , C Cornette , G Capellier . Risk factors for catheter-associated bacteriuria in a medical intensive care unit. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 2001;20:260–262.
, . . ;:–.19. WJ McCabe GG Gram-negative bacteremia. I. Etiology and ecology Arch Intern Med 1962 110 847855
20. WA Knaus , EA Draper , DP Wagner , JE Zimmerman . APACHE II: a severity of disease classification system. Crit Care Med 1985;13:818–829.
21. JR Le Gall , S Lemeshow , F Saulnier . A new Simplified Acute Physiology Score (SAPS II) based on a European/North American multicenter study. JAMA 1993;270:2957–2963.
22. JL Vincent , R Moreno , J Takala , et al. The SOFA (sepsis-related organ failure assessment) score to describe organ dysfunction/failure. On behalf of the Working Group on Sepsis-Related Problems of the European Society of Intensive Care Medicine. Intensive Care Med 1996;22:707–710.
23. JR Le Gall , J Klar , S Lemeshow , et al. The logistic organ dysfunction system: a new way to assess organ dysfunction in the intensive care unit. ICU Scoring Group. JAMA 1996;276:802–810.
24. JS Garner , WR Jarvis , TG Emori , TC Horan , JM Hughes . CDC definitions for nosocomial infections, 1988. Am J Infect Control 1988;16:128–140.
25. M Dettenkofer , W Ebner , T Els , et al. Surveillance of nosocomial infections in a neurology intensive care unit. J Neurol 2001;248:959–964.
27. CJ Rosser , RL Bare , JW Meredith . Urinary tract infections in the critically ill patient with a urinary catheter. Am J Surg 1999;177:287–290.
28. F Alvarez-Lerma , J Nolla-Salas , C Leon , et al. Candiduria in critically ill patients admitted to intensive care medical units. Intensive Care Med 2003;29:1069–1076.