This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
3. M Hoelscher , G Riedner , Y Hemed , H-U Wagner , R Korte , F von Sonnenburg . Estimating the number of HIV transmissions through reused syringes and needles in the Mbeya Region, Tanzania. AIDS 1994; 8:1609–1615.
4. B Aylward , M Kane , R McNair-Scott , DH Hu . Model-based estimates of the risk of human immunodeficiency virus and hepatitis B virus transmission through unsafe injections. Int J Epidemiol 1995; 24:446–452.
7. AJ Hauri , GL Armstrong , YJF Hutin . The global burden of disease attributable to contaminated injections given in health care settings. Int J STD AIDS 2004; 15:7–16.
8. GP Schmid , A Buve , P Mugyenyi , et al. Transmission of HIV-1 infection in sub-Saharan Africa and effect of elimination of unsafe injections. Lancet 2004; 363:482–488.
11. MG Hudgens , IM Longini Jr, S Vanichsensi , et al. Subtype-specific transmission probabilities for human immunodeficiency virus type 1 among injecting drug users in Bangkok, Thailand. Am J Epidemiol 2002; 155:159–168.
12. RF Baggaley , M-C Boily , RG White , M Alary . Risk of HIV-1 transmission for parenteral exposure and blood transfusion: a systematic review and meta-analysis. AIDS 2006; 20:805–812.
14. C Avila , HC Stetler , J Sepúlveda , et al. The epidemiology of HIV transmission among paid plasma donors, Mexico City, Mexico. AIDS 1989; 3:631–633.
18. A Bobkov , MM Garaev , A Rzhaninova , et al. Molecular epidemiology of HIV-1 in the former Soviet Union: analysis of env V3 sequences and their correlation with epidemiologic data. AIDS 1994; 8:619–624.
20. BS Hersh , F Popovici , Z Jezek , et al. Risk factors for HIV infection among abandoned Romanian children. AIDS 1993; 7:1617–1624.
21. IV Patrascu , O Dumitrescu . The epidemic of human immunodeficiency virus infection in Romanian children. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 1993; 9:99–104.
22. NF Hassan , NM El Ghorab , MS Rehim , et al. HIV infection in renal dialysis patients in Egypt [letter]. AIDS 1994; 8:853.
23. G Pugliese . HIV transmission reported in dialysis center. Infect Cont Hosp Epidemiol 1995; 16:482.
24. Z Wu , K Rou , R Detels . Prevalence of HIV infection among former commercial plasma donors in rural eastern China. Health Policy Plan 2001; 16:41–46.
25. K Zhang , X Gui , B Su , Z Chen , L Zhang . High prevalence of HIV infection among women and their children in Henan Province, China [letter]. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2003; 33:649–650.
27. B Su , L Liu , F Wang , et al. HIV-1 subtype B dictates the AIDS epidemic among paid blood donors in the Henan and Hubei provinces of China. AIDS 2003; 17:2515–2520.
28. MV Beach . “Blood heads” and AIDS haunt China's countryside. Lancet 2001; 357:49.
29. H Shan , J-X Wang , F-R Ren , et al. Blood banking in China. Lancet 2002; 360:1770–1775.
30. U Visco-Comandini , G Cappiello , G Luizzi , et al. Monophyletic HIV type 1 CRF02-AG in a nosocomial outbreak in Benghazi, Libya. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 2002; 18:727–732.
32. S Yerly , R Quadri , F Negro , et al. Nosocomial outbreak of multiple bloodborne viral infections. J Infect Dis 2001; 184:369–372.
34. D Gisselquist . Estimating HIV-1 transmission efficiency through unsafe medical injections. Int J STD AIDS 2002; 13:152–159.
35. DM Bell . Occupational risk of human immunodeficiency virus infection in healthcare workers: an overview. Am J Med 1997; 102(Suppl 5B):9–15.
36. JL Gerberding . Incidence and prevalence of human immunodeficiency virus, hepatitis B virus, hepatitis C virus, and cytomegalovirus among health care personnel at risk for blood exposure; final report from a longitudinal study. J Infect Dis 1994; 170:1410–1417.
37. JI Tokars , R Marcus , DH Culver , et al. Surveillance of HIV infection and zidovudine use among health care workers after occupational exposures to HIV-infected blood. Ann Intern Med 1993; 118:913–919.
38. EH Kaplan . Needles that kill: modeling human immunodeficiency virus transmission via shared drug injection equipment in shooting galleries. Rev Infect Dis 1989; 11:289–298.
40. DM Cardo , DH Culver , CA Ciesielski , et al. A case-control study of HIV seroconversion in health care workers after percutaneous exposure. N Engl J Med 1997; 337:1485–1490.
42. RH Gray , MJ Wawer , R Brookmeyer , et al. Probability of HIV-1 transmission per coital act in monogamous heterosexual, HIV-1 discordant couples in Rakai, Uganda. Lancet 2001;357:1149–1153.
43. M Piatak , MS Saag , LC Yang , et al. High levels of HIV-1 in plasma during all stages of infection determined by competitive PCR. Science 1993; 259:1749–1754.
44. BA Richardson , D Mbori-Ngacha , L Lavreys , et al. Comparison of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 viral loads in Kenyan women, men, and infants during primary and early infection. J Virol 2003; 77:7120–7123.
47. J-PC Grund , LS Stern . Residual blood in syringes: size and type of syringe are important. AIDS 1991; 5:1532–1533.
48. RR Hughes . Post-penicillin jaundice. BMJ 1946; 2:685–688.
49. JD Rich , BP Dickinson , JM Carney , A Fisher , R Heimer . Detection of HIV-1 nucleic acid and HIV-1 antibodies in needles and syringes used for non-intravenous injection. AIDS 1998; 12:2345–2350.
50. J Kanitakis , S Escaich , C Trepo , J Thivolet . Detection of human immunodeficiency virus-DNA and RNA in the skin of HIV-infected patients using the polymerase chain reaction. J Invest Dermatol 1991; 97:91–96.
51. A Blauvelt . The role of skin dendritic cells in the initiation of human immunodeficiency virus infection. Am J Med 1997; 102(Suppl 5B):16–20.
52. LE Soto-Ramirez , B Renjifo , MF McLane , et al. HIV-1 Langerhans' cell tropism associated with heterosexual transmission of HIV. Science 1996; 271:1291–1293.
54. RJ Evans , ETC Spooner . A possible mode of transfer of infection by syringes used for mass inoculation. BMJ 1950; 2:185–188.
56. L Resnick , K Veren , SZ Salahuddin , S Tondreau , PD Markham . Stability and inactivation of HTLV-III/LAV under clinical and laboratory environments. JAMA 1986; 255:1887–1891.
57. M Lakshman , M Nichter . Contamination of medicine injection paraphernalia used by registered medical practitioners in south India: an ethnographic study. Soc Sci Med 2000; 51:11–28.
60. N Abdala , AA Cleghorn , JM Carney , J Heimer . Can HIV-1-contaminated syringes be disinfected. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2001; 28:487–494.
62. C Contoreggi , S Jones , P Simpson , WR Lange , WA Meyer III. Effects of varying concentrations of bleach on in vitro HIV-1 replication and the relevance to injection drug use. Intervirology 2000; 43:1–5.