This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1.Research Committee of the Society of Healthcare Epidemiology of America. Enhancing patient safety by reducing healthcare-associated infections: the role of discovery and dissemination. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2010;31:118–123.
2. P Pronovost , D Needham , S Berenholtz , et al. An intervention to decrease catheter-related bloodstream infections in the ICU. N Engl I Med 2006;355:2725–2732.
6. MG Fakih , MT Greene , EH Kennedy , et al. Introducing a population-based outcome measure to evaluate the effect of interventions to reduce catheter-associated urinary tract infection. Am J Infect Control 2012;40:359–364.
8. GM Lee , CW Hartmann , D Graham , et al. Perceived impact of the Medicare policy to adjust payment for health care-associated infections. Am J Infect Control 2012;40:314–319.
9. GM Lee , K Kleinman , SB Soumerai , et al. Effect of nonpayment for preventable infections in U.S. hospitals. N Engl J Med 2012;367:1428–1437.
11. M Klompas . Advancing the science of ventilator-associated pneumonia surveillance. Crit Care 2012;16:165.
13. ND Stone , MS Ashraf , J Calder , et al. Surveillance definitions of infections in long-term care facilities: revisiting the McGeer criteria. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2012;33:965–977.
14. M Klompas . Prevention of ventilator-associated pneumonia. Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 2010;8:791–800.
15. M Klompas . Interobserver variability in ventilator-associated pneumonia surveillance. Am J Infect Control 2010;38:237–239.
16. M Bekaert , JF Timsit , S Vansteelandt , et al. Attributable mortality of ventilator-associated pneumonia: a reappraisal using causal analysis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2011;184:1133–1139.
17. D Cook , G Guyatt , J Marshall , et al. A comparison of sucralfate and ranitidine for the prevention of upper gastrointestinal bleeding in patients requiring mechanical ventilation. Canadian Critical Care Trials Group. N Engl J Med 1998;338:791–797.
18. EA Oostdijk , AM de Smet , J Kesecioglu , MJ Bonten ; Dutch SOD-SDD Trialists Group. The role of intestinal colonization with gram-negative bacteria as a source for intensive care unit-acquired bacteremia. Crit Care Med 2011;39:961–966.
19. ND Thompson , LL Yeh , SS Magill , SM Ostroff , SK Fridkin . Investigating systematic misclassification of central line-associated bloodstream infection (CLABSI) to secondary bloodstream infection during health care-associated infection reporting. Am J Med Qual 2013;28:56–59.
20. CM Clancy . Getting to zero: our effort to eliminate infections nationwide. J Nurs Care Qual 2010;25:189–192.
21. CM Clancy . Getting to zero: new resources aim to reduce health care-associated infections. Am J Med Qual 2010;25:319–321.
23. DA Kaufman . “Getting to Zero”: preventing invasive Candida infections and eliminating infection-related mortality and morbidity in extremely preterm infants. Early Hum Dev 2012;88: S45–S49.
26. MK Bolon , D Hooper , KB Stevenson , et al. Improved surveillance for surgical site infections after orthopedic implantation procedures: extending applications for automated data. Clin Infect Dis 2009;48:1223–1229.
27. DS Yokoe , M Shapiro , E Simchen , R Platt . Use of antibiotic exposure to detect postoperative infections, infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1998;19:317–322.
31. R Platt , DS Yokoe , KE Sands . Automated methods for surveillance of surgical site infections. Emerg Infect Dis 2001;7:212–216.
33. SY Won , LS Munoz-Price , K Lolans , et al. Emergence and rapid regional spread of Klebsiella pneumoniae carbapenemase-producing Enterobacteriaceae. Clin Infect Dis 2011;53:532–540.
34. MY Lin , RD Lyles-Banks , K Lolans , et al. The importance of long-term acute care hospitals in the regional epidemiology of Klebsiella pneumoniae carbapenemase-producing Enterobacteriaceae. Clin Infect Dis 2013;57:1246–1252.
37. M Juthani-Mehta , VJ Quagliarello . Infectious diseases in the nursing home setting: challenges and opportunities for clinical investigation. Clin Infect Dis 2010;51:931–936.
38. KA Thorn , LL Maragakis , K Richards , et al. Assessing the burden of Acinetobacter baumannii in Maryland: a statewide cross-sectional period prevalence survey. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2012;33:883–888.
41. JP Furuno , ML Schweizer , JC McGregor , EN Perencevich . Economics of infection control surveillance technology: cost-effective or just cost? Am J Infect Control 2008;36:S12–S17.
42. LC McDonald , M Arduino . Editorial commentary: climbing the evidentiary hierarchy for environmental infection control. Clin Infect Dis 2013;56:36–39.
45. DJ Morgan , L Pineles , M Shardell , et al. Automated hand hygiene count devices may better measure compliance than human observation. Am J Infect Control 2012;40:955–959.
46. J Meddings , MA Rogers , M Macy , S Saint . Systematic review and meta-analysis: reminder systems to reduce catheter-associated urinary tract infections and urinary catheter use in hospitalized patients. Clin Infect Dis 2010;51:550–560.
47. AM Milstone , A Elward , X Song , et al. Daily Chlorhexidine bathing to reduce bacteraemia in critically ill children: a multicentre, cluster-randomised, crossover trial. Lancet 2013;381:1099–1106.
48. JS Sammons , P Toltzis , TE Zaoutis . Clostridium difficile infection in children. JAMA Pediatr 2013;167:567–573.
50. M Lemaitre , T Meret , M Rothan-Tondeur , et al. Effect of influenza vaccination of nursing home staff on mortality of residents: a cluster-randomized trial. J Am Geriatr Soc 2009;57:1580–1586.
51. LR Shugarman , C Hales , CM Setodji , B Bardenheier , J Lynn . The influence of staff and resident immunization rates on influenza-like illness outbreaks in nursing homes. J Am Med Dir Assoc 2006;7:562–567.
53. BL Miller , F Ahmed , MC Lindley , PM Wortley . Institutional requirements for influenza vaccination of healthcare personnel: results from a nationally representative survey of acute care hospitals-United States, 2011. Clin Infect Dis 2011;53:1051–1059.
57. R Platt , SU Takvorian , E Septimus , et al. Cluster randomized trials in comparative effectiveness research: randomizing hospitals to test methods for prevention of healthcare-associated infections. Med Care 2010;48:S52–S57.
58. DJ Morgan , J Meddings , S Saint , et al. Does nonpayment for hospital-acquired catheter-associated urinary tract infections lead to overtesting and increased antimicrobial prescribing? Clin Infect Dis 2012;55:923–929.
60. VD Rosenthal , DG Maki , R Salomao , et al. Device-associated nosocomial infections in 55 intensive care units of 8 developing countries. Ann Intern Med 2006;145:582–591.
61. LB Rice . Federal funding for the study of antimicrobial resistance in nosocomial pathogens: no ESKAPE. J Infect Dis 2008;197: 1079–1081.
62. LB Rice . Do we really need new anti-infective drugs? Curr Opin Pharmacol 2003;3:459–463.
63. S Kwon , ML Schweizer , EN Perencevich . National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease (NIAID) Funding for Studies of Hospital-Associated Bacterial Pathogens: Are Funds Proportionate to Burden of Disease? Antimicrob Resist Infect Control 2012;1:5.
66. LG Bode , JA Kluytmans , HF Wertheim , et al. Preventing surgical-site infections in nasal carriers of Staphylococcus aureus. N Engl J Med 2010;362:9–17.
67. E Bennett-Guerrero , TN Pappas , WA Koltun , et al. Gentamicin-collagen sponge for infection prophylaxis in colorectal surgery. N Engl J Med 2010;363:1038–1049.
68. E Bennett-Guerrero , TB Ferguson Jr, M Lin , et al. Effect of an implantable gentamicin-collagen sponge on sternal wound infections following cardiac surgery: a randomized trial. JAMA A2010;304 755–762.
69. LP Derde , BS Cooper , H Goossens , et al. Interventions to reduce colonisation and transmission of antimicrobial-resistant bacteria in intensive care units: an interrupted time series study and cluster randomised trial. Lancet Infect Dis 2014;14:31–9.
71. M Loeb , N Dafoe , J Mahony , et al. Surgical mask vs N95 respirator for preventing influenza among health care workers: a randomized trial. JAMA 2009;302:1865–1871.
72. RO Darouiche , MJ Wall Jr, KM Itani , et al. Chlorhexidine-alcohol versus povidone-iodine for surgical-site antisepsis. N Engl J Med 2010;362:18–26.
73. JF Timsit , C Schwebel , L Bouadma , et al. Chlorhexidine-impregnated sponges and less frequent dressing changes for prevention of catheter-related infections in critically ill adults: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2009;301:1231–1241.
74. JF Timsit , O Mimoz , B Mourvillier , et al. Randomized controlled trial of Chlorhexidine dressing and highly adhesive dressing for preventing catheter-related infections in critically ill adults. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 2012;186:1272–1278.
75. AM de Smet , JA Kluytmans , HE Blok , et al. Selective digestive tract decontamination and selective oropharyngeal decontamination and antibiotic resistance in patients in intensive-care units: an open-label, clustered group-randomised, crossover study. Lancet Infect Dis 2011;11:372–380.
76. MW Climo , DS Yokoe , DK Warren , et al. Effect of daily Chlorhexidine bathing on hospital-acquired infection. N Engl J Med 2013;368:533–542.
77. SS Huang , E Septimus , K Kleinman , et al. Targeted versus universal decolonization to prevent ICU infection. N Engl J Med 2013;368:2255–2265.
78. R Pickard , T Lam , G MacLennan , et al. Antimicrobial catheters for reduction of symptomatic urinary tract infection in adults requiring short-term catheterisation in hospital: a multicentre randomised controlled trial. Lancer 2012;380 1927–1935.