This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. J Pépin , L Valiquette , B Cossette . Mortality attributable to nosocomial Clostridium difficile-associated disease during an epidemic caused by a hypervirulent strain in Quebec. CMAJ 2005;173:1037–1042.
2. VG Loo , L Poirier , MA Miller , et al.A predominantly clonal multi-institutional outbreak of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea with high morbidity and mortality (published correction appears in N Engl J Med 2006;354:2200). N Engl J Med 2005;353:2442–2449.
3. R Ricciardi , DA Rothenberger , RD Madoff , NN Baxter . Increasing prevalence and severity of Clostridium difficile colitis in hospitalized patients in the United States. Arch Surg 2007;142:624–631.
4. LC McDonald , GE Killgore , A Thompson , et al.An epidemic, toxin gene-variant strain of Clostridium difficile. N Engl J Med 2005;353:2433–2441.
5. S Dial , JAC Delaney , AN Barkun , S Suissa . Use of gastric acid-suppressive agents and the risk of community-acquired Clostridium difficile-associated disease. JAMA 2005;294:2989–2995.
6. ER Dubberke , KA Reske , J Noble-Wang , et al.Prevalence of Clostridium difficile environmental contamination and strain variability in multiple health care facilities. Am J Infect Control 2007;35:315–318.
7. KM Bettin , CR Clabots , PA Mathie , K Willard , DN Gerding . Effectiveness of liquid soap vs. Chlorhexidine gluconate for the removal of Clostridium difficile from bare hands and gloved hands. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1994;15:697–702.
8. DN Gerding , S Johnson , LR Peterson , ME Mulligan , J Silva Jr. Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea and colitis. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1995;16:459–477.
9. AB Zafar , LA Gaydos , WB Furlong , MH Nguyen , PA Mennonna . Effectiveness of infection control program in controlling nosocomial Clostridium difficile. Am J Infect Control 1998;26:588–593.
10. M Day . Chief medical officer names hand hygiene and organ donation as public health priorities. BMJ 2007;335:113.
12. JM Boyce , D Pittet . Guideline for hand hygiene in health-care settings: recommendations of the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee and the HICPAC/SHEA/APIC/IDSA Hand Hygiene Task Force. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2002;23(12 Suppl):S3–S40.
15. RLP Jump , MJ Pultz , CJ Donskey . Vegetative Clostridium difficile survives in room air on moist surfaces and in gastric contents with reduced acidity: a potential mechanism to explain the association between proton pump inhibitors and C. difficile-associated diarrhea? Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2007;51:2883–2887.
16. MM Riggs , AK Sethi , TF Zabarsky , EC Eckstein , RLP Jump , CJ Donskey . Asymptomatic carriers are a potential source for transmission of epidemic and nonepidemic Clostridium difficile strains among long-term care facility residents. Clin Infect Dis 2007;45:992–998.
17. S King . Provision of alcohol hand rub at the hospital bedside: a case study. J Hosp Infect 2004;56(Suppl 2):10–12.
18. G Gopal Rao , A Jeanes , M Osman , C Aylott , J Green . Marketing hand hygiene in hospitals: a case study. J Hosp Infect 2002;50:42–47.
19. JM Boyce , C Ligi , C Kohan , D Dumigan , NL Havill . Lack of association between the increased incidence of Clostridium difficile-associated disease and the increasing use of alcohol-based hand rubs. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2006;27:479–483.
20. FM Gordin , ME Schultz , RA Huber , JA Gill . Reduction in nosocomial transmission of drug-resistant bacteria after introduction of an alcohol-based handrub. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2005;26:650–653.
21. AD Russell . Bacterial spores and chemical sporicidal agents. Clin Microbiol Rev 1990;3:99–119.
22. ZA Quraishi , M McGuckin , F Blals . Duration of handwashing in intensive care units: a descriptive study. Am J Infect Control 1984;12:83–87.
24. S Lund , J Jackson , J Leggett , L Hales , R Dworkin , D Gilbert . Reality of glove use and handwashing in a community hospital. Am J Infect Control 1994;22:352–357.
25. EL Larson , KJ McGinley , A Foglia , et al.Handwashing practices and resistance and density of bacterial hand flora on two pediatric units in Lima, Peru. Am J Infect Control 1992;20:65–72.
26. B Michaels , V Gangar , A Schultz , et al.Water temperature as a factor in handwashing efficacy. Food Serv Technol 2002;2:139–149.
27. D Pittet , P Mourouga , TV Perneger , Members of the Infection Control Program. Compliance with handwashing in a teaching hospital. Ann Intern Med 1999;130:126–130.
29. E Girou , S Loyeau , P Legrand , F Oppein , C Brun-Buisson . Efficacy of handrubbing with alcohol based solution versus standard handwashing with antiseptic soap: randomised clinical trial. BMJ 2002;325:362–365.
30. EL Larson , J Cimiotti , J Haas , et al.Effect of antiseptic handwashing vs alcohol sanitizer on health care-associated infections in neonatal intensive care units. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2005;159:377–383.
31. S Hugonnet , TV Perneger , D Pittet . Alcohol-based handrub improves compliance with hand hygiene in intensive care units. Arch Intern Med 2002;162:1037–1043.