This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. A Ardolino , LA Williams , TB Crook , HP Taylor . Bare below the elbows: what do patients think? J Hosp Infect 2009;71:291–293.
2. RH Baevsky , AL Fisher , HA Smithline , MR Salzberg . The influence of physician attire on patient satisfaction. Acad Emerg Med 1998;5:82–84.
4. A Cha , BR Hecht , K Nelson , MP Hopkins . Resident physician attire: does it make a difference to our patients? Am J Obstet Gynecol 2004;190:1484–1488.
5. I Ditchburne . Should doctors wear ties? J Hosp Infect 2006;63:227–228.
6. RL Fischer , CE Hansen , RL Hunter , JJ Veloski . Does physician attire influence patient satisfaction in an outpatient obstetrics and gynecology setting? Am J Obstet Gynecol 2007;196:186e.1–186e.5.
8. G Gherardi , J Cameron , A West , M Crossley . Are we dressed to impress? a descriptive survey assessing patients' preference of doctors' attire in the hospital setting. Clin Med 2009;9:519–524.
9. JA Gonzalez del Rey , RI Paul . Preferences of parents for pediatric emergency physicians' attire. Pediatr Emerg Care 1995;11:361–364.
10. N Hennessy , DA Harrison , AR Aitkenhead . The effect of the anaesthetist's attire on patient attitudes: the influence of dress on patient perception of the anaesthetist's prestige. Anaesthesia 1993;48:219–222.
12. M Ikusaka , M Kamegai , T Sunaga , et al.Patients' attitude toward consultations by a physician without a white coat in Japan. Intern Med 1999;38:533–536.
13. SF Li , M Haber . Patient attitudes toward emergency physician attire. J Emerg Med 2005;29:1–3.
14. K Major , Y Hayase , D Balderrama , AT Lefor . Attitudes regarding surgeons' attire. Am J Surg 2005;190:103–106.
15. D Matsui , M Cho , MJ Rieder . Physicians' attire as perceived by young children and their parents: the myth of the white coat syndrome. Pediatr Emerg Care 1998;14:198–201.
17. D Mistry , JF Tahmassebi . Children's and parents' attitudes towards dentists' attire. Eur Arch Paediatr Dent 2009;10:237–240.
18. SJ Monkhouse , SA Collis , JJ Dunn , J Bunni . Patients' attitudes to surgical dress: a descriptive study in a district general hospital. J Hosp Infect 2008;69:408–409.
20. A Niederhauser , MD Turner , SP Chauhan , EF Magann , JC Morrison . Physician attire in the military setting: does it make a difference to our patients? Mil Med 2009;174:817–820.
21. S Palazzo , DB Hocken . Patients' perspectives on how doctors dress. J Hosp Infect 2010;74:30–34.
22. SU Rehman , PJ Nietert , DW Cope , AO Kilpatrick . What to wear today? effect of doctor's attire on the trust and confidence of patients. Am J Med 2005;118:1279–1286.
23. CL Shelton , C Raistrick , K Warburton , KH Siddiqui . Can changes in clinical attire reduce likelihood of cross-infection without jeopardising the doctor-patient relationship? J Hosp Infect 2010;74:22–29.
24. JA Baxter , O Dale , A Morritt , JC Pollock . Bare below the elbows: professionalism vs infection risk. Bull R Coll Surg Engl 2010;92:248–251.
27. LS Munoz-Price , KL Arheart , DA Lubarsky , DJ Birnbach . Differential laundering practices of white coats and scrubs among health care professionals. Am J Infect Control 2013;41:565–567.
28. M Burden , L Cervantes , D Weed , A Keniston , CS Price , RK Albert . Newly cleaned physician uniforms and infrequently washed white coats have similar rates of bacterial contamination after an 8-hour workday: a randomized controlled trial. J Hosp Med 2011;6:177–182.
29. P Gaspard , E Eschbach , D Gunther , S Gayet , X Bertrand , D Talon . Meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus contamination of healthcare workers' uniforms in long-term care facilities. J Hosp Infect 2009;71:170–175.
30. W Loh , W Ng , J Holton . Bacterial flora on the white coats of medical students. J Hosp Infect 2000;45:65–68.
31. PJ Lopez , O Ron , P Parthasarathy , J Soothill , L Spitz . Bacterial counts from hospital doctors' ties are higher than those from shirts. Am J Infect Control 2009;37:79–80.
32. DJ Morgan , E Rogawski , ICA Thom , et al.Transfer of multidrug-resistant bacteria to healthcare workers' gloves and gowns after patient contact increases with environmental contamination. Crit Care Med 2012;40:1045–1051.
33. C Perry , R Marshall , E Jones . Bacterial contamination of uniforms. J Hosp Infect 2001;48:238–241.
34. AM Treakle , KA Thom , JP Furuno , SM Strauss , AD Harris , EN Perencevich . Bacterial contamination of health care workers' white coats. Am J Infect Control 2009;37:101–105.
35. D Wong , K Nye , P Hollis . Microbial flora on doctors' white coats. BMJ 1991;303:1602–1604.
37. C Steinlechner , G Wilding , N Cumberland . Microbes on ties: do they correlate with wound infection? Bull R Coll Surg Engl 2002:84:307–309.
38. Y Wiener-Well , M Galuty , B Rudensky , Y Schlesinger , D Attias , AM Yinnon . Nursing and physician attire as possible source of nosocomial infections. Am J Infect Control 2011;39:555–559.
39. LS Munoz-Price , KL Arheart , JP Mills , et al.Associations between bacterial contamination of health care workers' hands and contamination of white coats and scrubs. Am J Infect Control 2012;40:e245–e248.
40. A Burger , C Wijewardena , S Clayson , RA Greatorex . Bare below elbows: does this policy affect handwashing efficacy and reduce bacterial colonisation? Ann R Coll Surg Engl 2011;93:13–16.
41. CA Willis-Owen , P Subramanian , P Kumari , D Houlihan-Burne . Effects of “bare below the elbows” policy on hand contamination of 92 hospital doctors in a district general hospital. J Hosp Infect 2010;75:116–119.
42. RM Farrington , J Rabindran , G Crocker , R Ali , N Pollard , HR Dalton . “Bare below the elbows” and quality of hand washing: a randomised comparison study. J Hosp Infect 2010;74:86–88.
44. MJ Blaser , PF Smith , HJ Cody , WL Wang , FM LaForce . Killing of fabric-associated bacteria in hospital laundry by low-temperature washing. J Infect Dis 1984;149:48–57.
45. SN Patel , J Murray-Leonard , AP Wilson . Laundering of hospital staff uniforms at home. J Hosp Infect 2006;62:89–93.
49. MC Chiu , MJ Wang . Professional footwear evaluation for clinical nurses. Appl Ergon 2007;38:133–141.
50. J Blanchard . Wearing shoe covers and appropriate footwear in the OR. AORN J 2010;92:228–229.
51. J Barr , D Siegel . Dangers of dermatologie surgery: protect your feet. Dermatol Surg 2004;30:1495–1497.
52. AM Watt , M Patkin , MJ Sinnott , RJ Black , GJ Maddern . Scalpel safety in the operative setting: a systematic review. Surgery 2010; 147:98–106.
55. CJ Uneke , PA Ijeoma . The potential for nosocomial infection transmission by white coats used by physicians in Nigeria: implications for improved patient-safety initiatives. World Health Popul 2010;11:44–54.
58. E Scott , SF Bloomfield . The survival and transfer of microbial contamination via cloths, hands and utensils. J Appi Bacterial 1990;68:271–278.
59. JA Wilson , HP Loveday , PN Hoffman , RJ Pratt . Uniform: an evidence review of the microbiological significance of uniforms and uniform policy in the prevention and control of healthcare-associated infections. Report to the Department of Health (England). J Hosp Infect 2007;66:301–307.