This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. E Larson . Skin hygiene and infection prevention: more of the same or different approaches? Clin Infect Dis 1999;29:1287–1294.
B Simmons , J Bryant , K Neiman , L Spencer , K Arheart . The role of handwashing in prevention of endemic intensive care unit infections. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol
3. J Webster , JL Faoagali , D Cartwright . Elimination of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus from a neonatal intensive care unit after hand washing with triclosan. J Paediatr Child Health 1994;30:59–64.
4. AB Zafar , RC Butler , DJ Reese , LA Gaydos , PA Mennonna Use of 0.3% triclosan (Bacti-Stat*) to eradicate an outbreak of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in a neonatal nursery. Am J Infect Control 1995;23:200–208.
M Casewell , I Phillips . Hands as route of transmission for Klebsiella species. BMJ
DG Maki . The use of antiseptics for handwashing by medical personnel. J Chemother
8. BN Doebbeling , GL Stanley , CT Sheetz , MA Pfaller , AK Houston , L Annis , et al. Comparative efficacy of alternative hand-washing agents in reducing nosocomial infections in intensive care units. N Engl J Med 1992;327:88–93.
E Early , K Battle , E Cantwell , J English , JE Lavin , E Larson . Effect of several interventions on the frequency of handwashing among elementary public school children. Am J Infect Control
11. LS Kimel . Handwashing education can decrease illness absenteeism. J Sch Nurs 1996;12:14–16.
MU Khan . Interruption of shigellosis by handwashing. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg
BF Stanton , JD Clemens . An educational intervention for altering water-sanitation behaviors to reduce childhood diarrhea in urban Bangladesh. Am J Epidemiol
WR Jarvis . Handwashing—the Semmelweis lesson forgotten?
17. RK Albert , F Condie . Hand-washing patterns in medical intensive-care units. N Engl J Med 1981;304:1465–1465.
18. M Graham . Frequency and duration of handwashing in an intensive care unit. Am J Infect Control 1990;18:77–81.
19. BL Thompson , DM Dwyer , XT Ussery , S Denman , P Vacek , B Schwartz . Handwashing and glove use in a long-term care facility. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1997;18:97–103.
20. D Pittet , P Mourouga , TV Perneger , and the members of the Infection Control Program. Compliance with handwashing in a teaching hospital. Ann Intern Med 1999;130:126–130.
21. EL Larson . APIC guideline for handwashing and hand antisepsis in health care settings. Am J Infect Control 1995;23:251–269.
23. E Larson , M Killien . Factors influencing handwashing behavior of patient care personnel. Am J Infect Control 1982;10:93–99.
PM Dubbert , J Dolce , W Richter , M Miller , S Chapman . Increasing ICU staff handwashing: effects of education and group feedback. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol
25. JM Conly , S Hill , J Ross , J Lertzman , T Louie . Handwashing practices in an intensive care unit: the effects of an educational program and its relationship to infection rates. Am J Infect Control 1989;17:330–339.
26. LJ Sproat , TJ Inglis . A multicentre survey of hand hygiene practice in intensive care units. J Hosp Infect 1994;26:137–148.
27. E Larson , EK Kretzer . Compliance with handwashing and barrier precautions. J Hosp Infect 1995;30:88–106.
EK Kretzer , EL Larson . Behavioral interventions to improve infection control practices. Am J Infect Control
JM Boyce . It is time for action: improving hand hygiene in hospitals. Ann Intern Med
30. E Larson . Handwashing and skin: physiologic and bacteriologie aspects. Infect Control 1985;6:14–23.
31. E Larson , A McGeer , ZA Quraishi , D Krenzischek , BJ Parsons , J Holdford , et al. Effects of an automated sink on handwashing practices and attitudes in high-risk units. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1991;12:422–428.
WM Marcil . Handwashing practices among occupational therapy personnel. Am J Occupational Therapy
33. M Khatib , G Jamaleddine , A Abdallah , Y Ibrahim . Hand washing and use of gloves while managing patients receiving mechanical ventilation in the ICU. Chest 1999;116:172–175.
34. BN Doebbeling , MA Pfaller , AK Houston , RP Wenzel . Removal of nosocomial pathogens from the contaminated glove. Ann Intern Med 1988;109:394–398.
35. A Voss , AF Widmer . No time for handwashing!? Handwashing versus alcoholic rub: can we afford 100% compliance? Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1997;18:205–208.
39. EL Teare , B Cookson , GL French , EA Jenner , G Scott , A Pallett , et al. UK handwashing initiative. J Hosp Infect 1999;43:1–3.
EL Larson , JL Bryan , LM Adler , CB Blane . A multifaceted approach to changing handwashing behavior. Am J Infect Control
41. A Weeks . Why I don't wash my hands between each patient contact. BMJ 1999;319:518.
S Harbarth , P Sudre , S Dharan , M Cadenas , D Pittet . Outbreak of Enterobacter cloacae related to understaffing, overcrowding, and poor hygiene practices. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol
43. GA Preston , EL Larson , W Stamm . The effect of private isolation rooms on patient care practices, colonization and infection in an intensive care unit. Am J Med 1981;70:641–645.
E Larson . Compliance with isolation technique. Am J Infect Control
45. A Pettinger , M Nettleman . Epidemiology of isolation precautions. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1991;12:303–307.
EL Larson , KJ McGinley , A Foglia , JJ Leyden , N Boland , J Larson , et al. Handwashing practices and resistance and density of bacterial hand flora on two pediatric units in Lima, Peru. Am J Infect Control
47. JD Zimakoff , B Pontoppidan , SO Larsen , KB Poulsen , DJ Stickler . The management of urinary catheters: compliance of practice in Danish hospitals, nursing homes and home care to national guidelines. Scand J Urol Nephrol 1995;29:299–309.