This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. RM Klevens , JR Edwards , CL Richards Jr, et al. Estimating health care–associated infections and deaths in U.S. hospitals. Public Health Reports 2002;122:160–167.
2. AJ Mangram , TC Horan , ML Pearson , LC Silver , WR Jarvis . Guideline for prevention of surgical site infection. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1999;20:250–280.
4. RW Haley , DH Culver , JW White , et al. The efficacy of infection surveillance and control programs in preventing nosocomial infections in United States hospitals. Am J Epidemiol 1985;121:182–205.
5. R Gaynes , C Richards , JR Edwards , et al. Feeding back surveillance data to prevent hospital-acquired infections. Emerg Infect Dis 2001;7:295–298.
6. C Brandt , S Hansen , D Sohr , F Daschner , H Ruden , P Gastmeier . Finding a method for optimizing risk adjustment when comparing surgical-site infecions rates. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2004;25:13–18.
7. DJ Anderson , KS Kaye , D Classen , et al. Strategies to prevent surgical site infections in acute care hospitals. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2008;(suppl 1):S51–S61.
8. DH Culver , TC Horan , RP Gaynes , et al. Surgical wound-infection rates by wound class, operative procedure, and patient risk index. Am J Med 1991;91:S152–S157.
11. DJ Anderson , LF Chen , DJ Sexton , KS Kaye . Complex surgical site infections and the devilish details of risk adjustment: important implications for public reporting. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2008;29:941–946.
12. DM Shahian , SM O'Brien , G Filardo , VA Ferraris , CK Haan , JB Rich , et al. The Society of Thoracic Surgeons 2008 cardiac surgery risk models: part 1—coronary artery bypass grafting surgery. Ann Thome Surg 2009;88:S2–S22.
13. ND Friedman , AL Bull , PL Russo , L Gurrin , M Richards . Performance of the National Nosocomial Infections Surveillance risk index in predicting surgical site infection in Australia. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2007;28:55–59.
14. M Paul , A Raz , L Leibovici , H Madar , R Holinger , B Rubinovitch . Sternal wound infection after coronary artery bypass graft surgery: validation of existing risk scores. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2007;133:397–403.
15. MC Roy , LA Herwaldt , R Embrey , K Kuhns , RP Wenzel , TM Eerl . Does the Centers for Disease Control's NNIs system risk index stratify patients undergoing cardiothoracic operations by their risk of surgical-site infection. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2000;21:186–190.
16. JR Edwards , KD Peterson , Y Mu , et al. National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) report: data summary for 2006 through 2008, issued December 2009. Am J Infect Control 2009;37: 783–805.
20. JA Hanley , BJ McNeil . The meaning and use of the area under a receive operating characteristic (ROC) curve. Radiology 1982; 143:29–36.
21. JA Hanley , BJ McNeil . A method of comparing the areas under receiver operating characteristic curves derived from the same cases. Radiology 1983;148:839–843.
22. CS Abboud , SB Wey , VT Baltar . Risk factors for mediastinitis after cardiac surgery. Ann Thorac Surg 2004;77:676–683.
23. AS de Boer , AJ Mintjes-de Groot , AJ Severijnen , JM van den Berg , W van Pelt . Risk assessment for surgical-site infections in orthopedic patients. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1999;20: 402–407.
24. RP Gaynes . Surgical-site infections (SSI) and the NNIS SSI risk index, part II: room for improvement. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2001;22:268–272.
27. CA Killian , EM Graffunder , TJ Vinciguerra , RA Venezia . Risk factors for surgical-site infections following cesarean section. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2001;22:613–617.
28. M Kivi , J Mannien , JC Wille , S van den Hof . Surgical site infection surveillance and the predictive power of the National Nosocomial Infection Surveillance index as compared with alternative determinants in the Netherlands. Am J Infect Control 2008;36:S27–S31.
29. L Neumayer , P Hosokawa , K Itani , M El-Tamer , WG Henderson , SF Khuri . Multivariable predictors of postoperative surgical site infection after general and vascular surgery: results from the patient safety in surgery study. J Am Coll Surg 2007;204: 1178–1187.
30. MA Olsen , P Lock-Buckley , D Hopkins , LB Polish , TM Sundt , VJ Fraser . The risk factors for deep and superficial chest surgical-site infections after coronary artery bypass graft surgery are different. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2002;124:136–145.
31. PL Russo , DW Spelman . A new surgical-site infection risk index using risk factors identified by multivariate analysis for patients undergoing coronary artery bypass graft surgery. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2002;23:372–376.
32. TS Tran , S Jamulitrat , V Chongsurvivatwong , A Geater . Risk factors for postcesarean surgical site infection. Obstet Gynecol 2000;95:367–371.
33. ELPE Geubbels , DE Grobbee , CMJE Vandenbroucke-Grauls , JC Wille , AS de Boer . Improved risk adjustment for comparison of surgical site infection rates. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2006;27:1330–1339.