1. RM Dallal , BG Harbrecht , AJ Boujoukas , et al. Fulminant Clostridium difficile: an underappreciated and increasing cause of death and complications. Ann Surg 2002;235:363–672.
2. ER Dubberke . Attributable outcomes of endemic Clostridium difficile-associated disease in nonsurgical patients. Emerg Infect Dis 2008;14:1031–1038.
5. LC McDonald , GE Killgore , A Thompson , et al. An epidemic, toxin gene-variant strain of Clostridium difficile. N Engl J Med 2005;353:2433–2441.
6. J Pépin , L Valiquette , B Cossette . Mortality attributable to nosocomial Clostridium difficile-associated disease during an epidemic caused by a hypervirulent strain in Quebec. CMAJ 2005; 173:1037–1042.
7. M Warny , J Pepin , A Fang , et al. Toxin production by an emerging strain of Clostridium difficile associated with outbreaks of severe disease in North America and Europe. Lancet 2005;366: 1079–1084.
9. PK Kutty , CW Woods , AC Sena , et al. Risk factors for and estimated incidence of community-associated Clostridium difficile infection, North Carolina, USA. Emerg Infect Dis 2010;16: 197–204.
11. JF Hall , D Berger . Outcome of colectomy for Clostridium difficile colitis: a plea for early surgical management. Am J Surg 2008; 196:384–388.
12. K Koss , MA Clark , DS Sanders , D Morton , MR Keighley , J Goh . The outcome of surgery in fulminant Clostridium difficile colitis. Colorectal Dis 2006;8:149–154.
13. F Lamontagne , A-C Labbé , O Haeck , et al. Impact of emergency colectomy on survival of patients with fulminant Clostridium difficile colitis during an epidemic caused by a hypervirulent strain. Ann Surg 2007;245:267–272.
15. CW Seder , MR Villalba , J Robbins , et al. Early colectomy may be associated with improved survival in fulminant Clostridium diffidle colitis: an 8-year experience. Am J Surg 2009;197:302–307.
16. JC Byrn , DC Maun , DS Gingold , DT Baril , JJ Ozao , CM Divino . Predictors of mortality after colectomy for fulminant Clostridium difficile colitis. Arch Surg 2008;143:150–154.
17. K Synnott , K Mealy , L Merry , L Kyne , C Keane , R Quill . Timing of surgery for fulminating pseudomembranous colitis. Br J Surg 1998;85:229–231.
18. EA Sailhamer , K Carson , Y Chang , et al. Fulminant Clostridium difficile colitis: patterns of care and predictors of mortality. Arch Surg 2009; 144:433–439.
19. VG Loo , L Poirier , MA Miller , et al. A predominantly clonal multi-institutional outbreak of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea with high morbidity and mortality. N Engl J Med 2005; 353:2442–2449.
20. M Miller , D Gravel , M Mulvey , et al. Health care-associated Clostiridium difficile infection in Canada: patient age and infecting strain type are highly predictive of severe outcome and mortality. Clin Infect Dis 2010;50:194–201.
21. R Ricciardi , DA Rothenberger , RD Madoff , NN Baxter . Increasing prevalence and severity of Clostridium difficile colitis in hospitalized patients in the United States. Arch Surg 2007;142:624–631.
26. M Charlson , TP Szatrowski , J Peterson , J Gold . Validation of a combined comorbidity index. J Clin Epidemiol 1994;47: 1245–1251.
27. MD Zilberberg , AF Shorr , ST Micek , JA Doherty , MH Kollef . Clostridium difficile-associated disease and mortality among the elderly critically ill. Crit Care Med 2009;37:2583–2589.