This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. I Thompson . Clostridium difficile-associated disease: update and focus on non-antibiotic strategies. Age Ageing 2008;37:14–18.
3. LV McFarland . Update on the changing epidemiology of Clostridium difficile-associated disease. Nat Clin Pract Gastroenterol Hepatol 2008;5:40–48.
4. A-C Labbé , L Poirier , D MacCannell , et al.Clostridium difficile infections in a Canadian tertiary care hospital before and during a regional epidemic associated with the BI/NAP1/027 strain. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2008;52:3180–3187.
5. M Warny , J Pepin , A Fang , et al.Toxin production by an emerging strain of Clostridium difficile associated with outbreaks of severe disease in North America and Europe. Lancet 2005;366:1079–1084.
6. SB Debast , N Vaessen , A Choudry , EA Wiegers-Ligtvoet , RJ van den Berg , EJ Kuijper . Successful combat of an outbreak due to Clostridium difficile PCR ribotype 027 and recognition of specific risk factors. Clin Microbiol Infect 2009;15:427–434.
7. DR MacCannell , TJ Louie , DB Gregson , et al.Molecular analysis of Clostridium difficile PCR ribotype 027 isolates from eastern and western Canada. J Clin Microbiol 2006;44:2147–2152.
9. MA Aldeyab , DL Monnet , JM López-Lozano , et al.Modelling the impact of antibiotic use and infection control practices on the incidence of hospital-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: a time-series analysis. J Antimicrob Chemother 2008;62:593–600.
11. MA Aldeyab , S Harbarth , N Vernaz , et al.Quasiexperimental study of the effects of antibiotic use, gastric acid-suppressive agents, and infection control practices on the incidence of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea in hospitalized patients. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2009;53:2082–2088.
12. GL O'Neill , FT Ogunsola , JS Brazier , BI Duerden . Modification of a PCR ribotyping method for application as a routine typing scheme for Clostridium difficile. Anaerobe 1996;2:205–209.
14. SJ Lewis , KW Heaton . Stool form scale as a useful guide to intestinal transit time. Scand J Gastroenterol 1997;32:920–924.
19. U Helfenstein . Box-Jenkins modelling in medical research. Stat Methods Med Res 1996;5:3–22.
21. SP Stone , BS Cooper , CC Kibbler , et al.The ORION statement: guidelines for transparent reporting of outbreak reports and intervention studies of nosocomial infection. Lancet Infect Dis 2007;7:282–288.
22. MJ Schwaber , A Simhon , C Block , V Rovai , N Ferderber , M Shapiro . Factors associated with nosocomial diarrhea and Clostridium difficile-associated disease on the adult wards of an urban tertiary care hospital. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 2000;19:9–15.
25. RC Owens Jr, CJ Donskey , RP Gaynes , VG Loo , CA Muto . Antimicrobial-associated risk factors for Clostridium difficile infection. Clin Infect Dis 2008;46(suppl 1):S19–S31.
27. RM Cadle , MD Mansouri , N Logan , DR Kudva , DM Musher . Association of proton-pump inhibitors with outcomes in Clostridium difficile colitis. Am J Health Syst Pharm 2007;64:2359–2363.
28. S Dial , JA Delaney , AN Barkun , S Suissa . Use of gastric acid-suppressive agents and the risk of community-acquired Clostridium difficile-associated disease. JAMA 2005;294:2989–2995.
29. A Apisarnthanarak , JE Zack , JL Mayfield , et al.Effectiveness of environmental and infection control programs to reduce transmission of Clostridium difficile. Clin Infect Dis 2004;39:601–602.
32. EJ Kuijper , B Coignard , P Tüll , ESCMID Study Group for Clostridium difficile, EU Member States, European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control. Emergence of Clostridium difficile-associated disease in North America and Europe. Clin Microbiol Infect 2006;12(suppl 6):2–18.
33. OW Morgan , B Rodrigues , T Elston , et al.Clinical severity of Clostridium difficile PCR ribotype 027: a case-case study. PLoS one 2008;3(3):e1812.
34. VG Loo , L Poirier , MA Miller , et al.A predominantly clonal multi-institutional outbreak of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea with high morbidity and mortality. N Engl J Med 2005;353:2442–2449.
35. B Hubert , VG Loo , A-M Bourgault , et al.A portrait of the geographic dissemination of the Clostridium difficile North American pulsed-field type 1 strain and the epidemiology of C. difficile-associated disease in Quebec. Clin Infect Dis 2007;44:238–244.
37. A Goorhuis , T Van der Kooi , N Vaessen , et al.Spread and epidemiology of Clostridium difficile polymerase chain reaction ribotype 027/toxinotype III in The Netherlands. Clin Infect Dis 2007;45:695–703.
38. M Miller , D Gravel , M Mulvey , et al.Health care-associated Clostridium diffidi infection in Canada: patient age and infecting strain type are highly predictive of severe outcome and mortality. Clin Infect Dis 2010;50:194–201.
40. JC McElnay , MG Scott , JY Sidara , P Kearney . Audit of antibiotic usage in medium-sized general hospital over an 11-year period: the impact of antibiotic policies. Pharm World Sci 1995;17:207–213.
41. FA Al-Eidan , JC McElnay , MG Scott , MP Kearney . Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhoea in hospitalised patients. J Clin Pharm Ther 2000;25:101–109.
42. L Valiquette , B Cossette , Garant M-P, H Diab , J Pépin . Impact of a reduction in the use of high-risk antibiotics on the course of an epidemic of Clostridium difficile-associated disease caused by the hypervirulent NAP1/027 strain. Clin Infect Dis 2007;45(suppl 2):S112–S121.
43. RP Vonberg , EJ Kuijper , MH Wilcox , et al.Infection control measures to limit the spread of Clostridium difficile. Clin Microbiol Infect 2008;14(suppl 5):2–20.