1. Lovald, ST, Ong, KL, Lau, EC, Schmier, JK, Bozic, KJ, Kurtz, SM. Mortality, cost, and downstream disease of total hip arthroplasty patients in the medicare population. J Arthroplasty 2014;29:242–246.
2. Lovald, ST, Ong, KL, Lau, EC, Schmier, JK, Bozic, KJ, Kurtz, SM. Mortality, cost, and health outcomes of total knee arthroplasty in Medicare patients. J Arthroplasty 2013;28:449–454.
3. Kurtz, SM, Ong, KL, Lau, E, Bozic, KJ. Impact of the economic downturn on total joint replacement demand in the United States: updated projections to 2021. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2014;96:624–630.
4. Kurtz, SM, Ong, KL, Schmier, J, et al. Future clinical and economic impact of revision total hip and knee arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2007;89 Suppl 3:144–151.
5. Pollock, M, Somerville, L, Firth, A, Lanting, B. Outpatient total hip arthroplasty, total knee arthroplasty, and unicompartmental knee arthroplasty: a systematic review of the literature. JBJS Rev 2016;4.
6. Bozic, KJ, Lau, E, Kurtz, S, et al. Patient-related risk factors for periprosthetic joint infection and postoperative mortality following total hip arthroplasty in Medicare patients. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2012;94:794–800.
7. Bozic, KJ, Ward, DT, Lau, EC, et al. Risk factors for periprosthetic joint infection following primary total hip arthroplasty: a case control study. J Arthroplasty 2014;29:154–156.
8. Lee, QJ, Mak, WP, Wong, YC. Risk factors for periprosthetic joint infection in total knee arthroplasty. J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong) 2015;23:282–286.
9. Peter, WF, Dekker, J, Tilbury, C, et al. The association between comorbidities and pain, physical function and quality of life following hip and knee arthroplasty. Rheumatol Int 2015;35:1233–1241.
10. Singh, JA, Vessely, MB, Harmsen, WS, et al. A population-based study of trends in the use of total hip and total knee arthroplasty, 1969–2008. Mayo Clin Proc 2010;85:898–904.
11. Berrios-Torres, SI, Yi, SH, Bratzler, DW, et al. Activity of commonly used antimicrobial prophylaxis regimens against pathogens causing coronary artery bypass graft and arthroplasty surgical site infections in the United States, 2006–2009. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2014;35:231–239.
12. Poultsides, LA, Ma, Y, Della Valle, AG, Chiu, YL, Sculco, TP, Memtsoudis, SG. In-hospital surgical site infections after primary hip and knee arthroplasty—incidence and risk factors. J Arthroplasty 2013;28:385–389.
14. Yi, SH, Baggs, J, Culler, SD, Berrios-Torres, SI, Jernigan, JA. Medicare reimbursement attributable to periprosthetic joint infection following primary hip and knee arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty 2015;30:931–938.
15. Soe, MM, Gould, CV, Pollock, D, Edwards, J. Targeted assessment for prevention of healthcare-associated infections: a new prioritization metric. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2015;36:1379–1384.
16. Policies for Eliminating Healthcare-Associated Infections: Lessons Learned From State Stakeholder Engagement. The Association of State and Territorial Health Officials and the Centers for Disease Control; 2012.
17. Baker, AW, Dicks, KV, Durkin, MJ, et al. Epidemiology of surgical site infection in a community hospital network. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2016;37:519–526.
18. 2014 National Population Projections. US Census; 2014.
19. Sher, A, Keswani, A, Yao, DH, Anderson, M, Koenig, K, Moucha, CS. Predictors of same-day discharge in primary total joint arthroplasty patients and risk factors for post-discharge complications. J Arthroplasty 2017;32 Suppl 9:S150–S156.
20. Aynardi, M, Post, Z, Ong, A, Orozco, F, Sukin, DC. Outpatient surgery as a means of cost reduction in total hip arthroplasty: a case-control study. HSS J 2014;10:252–255.
22. Katz, JN, Wright, EA, Wright, J, et al. Twelve-year risk of revision after primary total hip replacement in the US Medicare population. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2012;94: 1825–1832.
23. Duffy, GP, Crowder, AR, Trousdale, RR, Berry, DJ. Cemented total knee arthroplasty using a modern prosthesis in young patients with osteoarthritis. J Arthroplasty 2007;22:67–70.
24. Guo, L, Yang, L, Briard, JL, Duan, XJ, Wang, FY. Long-term survival analysis of posterior cruciate-retaining total knee arthroplasty. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2012;20:1760–1765.
25. Kearns, SR, Jamal, B, Rorabeck, CH, Bourne, RB. Factors affecting survival of uncemented total hip arthroplasty in patients 50 years or younger. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2006;453:103–109.
26. Ong, KL, Lau, E, Suggs, J, Kurtz, SM, Manley, MT. Risk of subsequent revision after primary and revision total joint arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2010;468:3070–3076.
27. Finkelstein, EA, Khavjou, OA, Thompson, H, et al. Obesity and severe obesity forecasts through 2030. Am J Prev Med 2012;42:563–570.
28. Kurtz, SM, Lau, E, Watson, H, Schmier, JK, Parvizi, J. Economic burden of periprosthetic joint infection in the United States. J Arthroplasty 2012;27:61–65.
29. Berrios-Torres, SI, Umscheid, CA, Bratzler, DW, et al. Centers for disease control and prevention guideline for the prevention of surgical site infection, 2017. JAMA Surg 2017;152: 784–791.
30. Magill, SS, Edwards, JR, Bamberg, W, et al. Multistate point-prevalence survey of health care-associated infections. N Engl J Med 2014; 370:1198–1208.
33. Bovonratwet, P, Webb, ML, Ondeck, NT, et al. Definitional differences of ‘outpatient’ versus ‘inpatient’ THA and TKA can affect study outcomes. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2017;475:2917–2925.