1. Zaki, AM, van Boheemen, S, Bestebroer, TM, Osterhaus, ADME, Fouchier, RAM. Isolation of a novel coronavirus from a man with pneumonia in Saudi Arabia. New Engl J Med 2012;367:1814–1820.
2. Arabi, YM, Balkhy, HH, Hayden, FG, et al. Middle East respiratory syndrome. New Engl J Med 2017;376:584–594.
3. Assiri, A, McGeer, A, Perl, TM, et al. Hospital outbreak of Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus. N Engl J Med 2013;369:407–416.
4. Balkhy, HH, Alenazi, TH, Alshamrani, MM, et al. Description of a hospital outbreak of middle east respiratory syndrome in a large tertiary-care hospital in Saudi Arabia. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2016;37:1147–1155.
5. Oboho, IK, Tomczyk, SM, Al-Asmari, AM, et al. 2014 MERS-CoV outbreak in Jeddah—a link to health care facilities. New Engl J Med 2015;372:846–854.
6. Assiri, A, Abedi, GR, Bin Saeed, AA, et al. Multifacility outbreak of Middle East respiratory syndrome in Taif, Saudi Arabia. Emerg Infect Dis 2016;22:32–40.
7. Bin, SY, Heo, JY, Song, M-S, et al. Environmental contamination and viral shedding in MERS patients during MERS-CoV outbreak in South Korea. Clin Infect Dis 2015;62:755–760.
8. Al-Abdely, HM, Kasole, OH, AlRajhi, AA, et al. Infection Prevention and Control Guidelines for the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV) Infection, 4th ed. Riyadh, Saudi Arabia: Ministry of Health; 2017.
9. World Health Organization. Infection Prevention and Control during Health Care for Probable or Confirmed Cases of Middle East respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV) Infection. Geneva: WHO; 2015.
10. World Health Organization. WHO MERS-CoV Global Summary and Assessment of Risk. Geneva: WHO; 2017.
12. Corman, VM, Muller, MA, Costabel, U, et al. Assays for laboratory confirmation of novel human coronavirus (hCoV-EMC) infections. Euro Surveil 2012;17(49). pii: 20334.
14. Lu, X, Whitaker, B, Sakthivel, SK, et al. Real-time reverse transcription-PCR assay panel for Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus. J Clin Microbiol 2014;52:67–75.
15. Assiri, AM, Midgley, CM, Abedi, GR, et al. Epidemiology of a novel recombinant MERS-CoV in humans in Saudi Arabia. J Infect Dis 2016;22:2020–2022.
16. Yusof, MF, Queen, K, Eltahir, YM, et al. Diversity of Middle East respiratory syndrome coronaviruses in 109 dromedary camels based on full-genome sequencing, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. Emerg Microb Infect 2017;6:e101. doi: 10.1038/emi.2017.89.
17. Guindon, S, Dufayard, JF, Lefort, V, Anisimova, M, Hordijk, W, Gascuel, O. New algorithms and methods to estimate maximum-likelihood phylogenies: assessing the performance of PhyML 3.0. Syst Biol 2010;59:307–321.
18. Tamura, K, Stecher, G, Peterson, D, Filipski, A, Kumar, S. MEGA6: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis version 6.0. Mol Biol Evol 2013;30:2725–2729.
19. Trivedi, S, Miao, C, Al-Abdallat, MM, et al. Inclusion of MERS-spike protein ELISA in algorithm to determine serologic evidence of MERS-CoV infection. J Med Virol 2018;90:367–371.
20. Wang, Y, Liu, D, Shi, W, et al. Origin and possible genetic recombination of the Middle East Respiratory syndrome coronavirus from the first imported case in China: phylogenetics and coalescence analysis. mBio 2015;6. doi: 10.1128/mBio.01280-15.
21. Cowling, BJ, Park, M, Fang, VJ, Wu, P, Leung, GM, Wu, JT. Preliminary epidemiological assessment of MERS-CoV outbreak in South Korea, May to June 2015. Euro Surveil 2015;20:7–13.
22. Alenazi, TH, Al Arbash, H, El-Saed, A, et al. Identified transmission dynamics of Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus infection during an outbreak: implications of an overcrowded emergency department. Clin Infect Dis 2017;65:675–679.
23. Kim, SW, Park, JW, Jung, H-D, et al. Risk factors for transmission of Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus infection during the 2015 outbreak in South Korea. Clin Infect Dis 2017;64:551–557.
24. Amer, H, Alqahtani, AS, Alzoman, H, Aljerian, N, Memish, ZA. Unusual presentation of Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus leading to a large outbreak in Riyadh during 2017. Am J Infect Control 2018;46:1022–1025.
25. Corman, VM, Albarrak, AM, Omrani, AS, et al. Viral shedding and antibody response in 37 patients with Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus infection. Clin Infect Dis 2015;62:477–483.
26. Kim, C-J, Choi, W, Jung, Y, et al. Surveillance of the Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS) coronavirus (CoV) infection in healthcare workers after contact with confirmed MERS patients: incidence and risk factors of MERS-CoV seropositivity. Clin Microbiol Infect 2016;22:880–886.
27. Park, GE, Ko, J-H, Peck, KR, et al. Control of an outbreak of Middle East respiratory syndrome in a tertiary hospital in Korea. Ann Intern Med 2016;165:87–93.
28. Alshukairi, AN, Khalid, I, Ahmed, WA, et al. Antibody response and disease severity in healthcare worker MERS survivors. Emerg Infect Dis 2016;22:1113.
29. Payne, DC, Biggs, HM, Al-Abdallat, MM, Alqasrawi, S, Lu, X, Abedi, GR, Haddadin, A, Iblan, I, Alsanouri, T, Al Nsour, M, Sheikh, Ali S. Multihospital Outbreak of a Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus Deletion Variant, Jordan: A Molecular, Serologic, and Epidemiologic Investigation. InOpen Forum Infectious Diseases 2018 Apr 28 (Vol. 5, No. 5, p. ofy095). US: Oxford University Press.
30. Park, WB, Perera, RA, Choe, PG, et al. Kinetics of serologic responses to MERS coronavirus infection in humans, South Korea. Emerg Infect Dis 2015;21:2186.