This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. S Saint , CE Chenowith . Biofilms and catheter-associated urinary tract infections. Infect Dis Clin North Am 2003;17:411–432.
3. PA Tambyah , DG Maki . Catheter-associated urinary tract infection is rarely symptomatic. Arch Intern Med 2000;160:678–687.
4. S Saint , SR Kaufman , MAM Rogers , PD Baker , EJ Boyko , B Lipsky . Risk factors for nosocomial urinary tract related bacteremia: a case-control study. Am J Infect Control 2006;34:401–407.
5. S Saint , B Lipsky , SD Goold . Indwelling urinary catheters: a one-point restraint? Ann Intern Med 2002;137:125–127.
7. M Talja , A Korpela , K Jarvi . Comparison of urethral reaction to full silicone, hydrogel-coated and siliconized latex catheters. Br J Urol 1990;66:652–657.
8. GS Robertson , N Everitt , PR Burton , et al.Effect of catheter material on the incidence of urethral strictures. Br J Urol 1991;68:612–617.
9. JR Johnson , PL Roberts , RJ Olsen , KA Moyer , WE Stamm . Prevention of catheter-associated urinary tract infection with a silver-oxide-coated urinary catheter: clinical and microbiologic correlation. J Infect Dis 1990;162:1145–1150.
10. TS Huth , JP Burke , RA Larsen , DC Classen , LE Stevens . Randomized trial of meatal care with silver sulfa-diazine cream for the prevention of catheter-associated bacteriuria. J Infect Dis 1992;165:14–18.
11. DK Riley , DC Classen , LE Stevens , JP Burke . A large, randomized clinical trial of a silver-impregnated urinary catheter: lack of efficacy and staphylococcal superinfection. Am J Med 1995;98:349–356.
12. SS Bukhari , PJ Sanderson , DM Richardson , ME Kaufman , HM Aucken , BD Cookson . Endemic cross-infection in an acute medical ward. J Hosp Infect 1993;24:261–271.
13. DR Schaberg , RA Weinstein , WE Stamm . Epidemics of nosocomial urinary tract infection caused by multiply resistant gram-negative bacilli: epidemiology and control. J Infect Dis 1976;133:363–366.
15. HJ Yoon , JY Choi , YS Park , et al.Outbreaks of Serratia marcescens bacteriuria in a neurosurgical intensive care unit of a tertiary care teaching hospital: a clinical epidemiologic, and laboratory perspective. Am J Infect Control 2005;33:595–601.
16. TC Horan , M Andrus , MA Dudeck . CDC/NHSN surveillance definition of health care-associated infection and criteria for specific types of infections in the acute care setting. Am J Infect Control 2008;36:309–32.
18. RP Stark , DG Maki . Bacteriuria in the catheterized patient: what quantitative level of bacteriuria is relevant? N Engl J Med 1984;311:560–564.
19. ES Wong , TM Hooton . Guideline for prevention of catheter-associated urinary tract infections. Am J Infect Control 1983;11:28–36.
20. RJ Pratt , C Pellowe , HP Loveday , et al.The epic project: developing national evidence-based guidelines for preventing healthcare associated infections. Phase I: guidelines for preventing hospital-acquired infections. J Hosp Infect 2001;47(Suppl):S3–S82.
21. RJ Pratt , CM Pellowe , JA Wilson , et al.Epic 2: national evidence-based guidelines for preventing healthcare-associated infections in NHS hospitals in England. J Hosp Infect 2007;65(Suppl 1):S1–S64.
, . . ;(3):CD004203.22. BS Niel-Weise PJ van den Broek Urinary catheter policies for short-term bladder drainage in adults Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2005
23. S Phipps , YN Liim , S McClinton , C Barry , A Rane , J N'Dow . Short term urinary catheter policies following urogenital surgery in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2006;(2):CD004374.
, . . ;(1):CD004011.24. R Griffiths R Fernandes Policies for the removal of short-term indwelling urethral cathetersCochrane Database Syst Rev 2005
26. J Brosnahan , A Jull , C Tracy . Types of urethral catheters for management of short-term voiding problems in hospitalized adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2004;(1):CD004013.
, . . ;(2):CD004011.27. R Griffiths R Fernandez Strategies for the removal of short-term indwelling urethral catheters in adultsCochrane Database Syst Rev 2007
28. S Saint , SR Kaufman , MAM Rogers , PD Baker , K Ossenkop , BA Lipsky . Condom versus indwelling urinary catheters: a randomized trial. J Am Geriatr Soc 2006;54:1055–1061.
29. H Lau , B Lam . Management of postoperative urinary retention: a randomized trial of in-out versus overnight catheterization. ANZ J Surg 2004;74:658–661.
30. AH Baan , H Vermeulen , J van der Meulen , P Bossuyt , D Olszyna , DJ Gouma . The effect of suprapubic catheterization after abdominal surgery on urinary tract infection: a randomized, controlled trial. Dig Surg 2003;20:290–295.
31. JR Johnson , MA Kuskowski , TJ Wilt . Systematic review: antimicrobial urinary catheters to prevent catheter-associated urinary tract infection in hospitalized patients. Ann Intern Med 2006;144:116–127.
32. BS Niel-Weise , SM Arend , PJ van den Brock . Is there evidence for recommending silver-coated urinary catheters in guidelines. J Hosp Infect 2002;52:81–87.
35. RRM Gokula , JA Hickner , MA Smith . Inappropriate use of urinary catheters in elderly patients at a midwestern community teaching hospital. Am J Infect Control 2004;32:196–199.
36. P Jain , JP Parada , A David , LG Smith . Overuse of the indwelling urinary tract catheter in hospitalized medical patients. Arch Intern Med 1995;155:1425–1429.
37. S Saint , J Wiese , JK Amory , et al.Are physicians aware of which of their patients have indwelling urinary catheters? Am J Med 2000;109:476–480.
38. F Stephan , H Sax , M Wachsmuth , P Hoffmeyer , F Clergue , D Pittet . Reduction of urinary tract infection and antibiotic use after surgery: a controlled, prospective, before-after intervention study. Clin Infect Dis 2006;42:1544–1551.
39. B Doyle , Z Mawji , M Horgan , et al.Decreasing nosocomial urinary tract infection in a large academic community hospital. Lippincotts Case Manag 2001;6:127–136.
40. PB Cornia , JK Amory , S Fraser , S Saint , BA Lipsky . Computer-based order entry decreases duration of indwelling urinary catheterization in hospitalized patients. Am J Med 2003;114:404–407.
43. J Topal , S Conklin , K Camp , et al.Prevention of nosocomial catheter-associated urinary tract infections through computerized feedback to physicians and a nurse-directed protocol. Am J Med Qual 2005;20:121–126.
45. AM Goetz , S Kedzuf , M Wagener , RR Muder . Feedback to nursing staff as an intervention to reduce catheter-associated urinary tract infections. Am J Infect Control 1999;27:402–404.
47. A Marklew . Urinary catheter care in the intensive care unit. Nurs Crit Care 2004;9:21–27.