This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. JM Boyce , D. Pittet Guideline for hand hygiene in health-care settings: recommendations of the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee and the HIPAC/SHEA/APIC/IDSA Hand Hygiene Task Force. Am } Infect Control 2002;30: S1–S46.
4. HJ Lane , N Blum , E. Fee Oliver Wendell Holmes (1809-1894) and Ignaz Philipp Semmelweis (1818-1865): preventing the transmission of puerperal fever. Am J Public Health 2010;100: 1008–1009.
5. IM Gould . Alexander Gordon, puerperal sepsis, and modern theories of infection control—Semmelweis in perspective. Lancet Infect Dis 2010;10:275–278.
6. EA Mortimer Jr, PJ Lipsitz , E Wolinsky , AJ Gonzaga , CH Rammelkamp Jr. Transmission of staphylococci between new-borns: importance of the hands to personnel. Am J Dis Child 1962;104:289–295.
7. B Allegranzi , D. Pittet Role of hand hygiene in healthcare-associated infection prevention. J Hosp Infect 2009;73:305–315.
9. A Voss , AF Widmer . No time for handwashing!? handwashing versus alcoholic rub: can we afford 100% compliance? Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1997;18:205–208.
10. E. Kownatzki Hand hygiene and skin health. J Hosp Infect 2003; 55:239–245.
12. AD Harris , MH Samore , R Nafziger , K DiRosario , MC Roghmann , Y Carmeli . A survey on handwashing practices and opinions of healthcare workers. J Hosp Infect 2000;45:318–321.
13. MG Lankford , TR Zembower , WE Trick , DM Hacek , GA Noskin , LR Peterson . Influence of role models and hospital design on hand hygiene of healthcare workers. Emerg Infect Dis 2003; 9:217–223.
16. B Allegranzi , L Conway , E Larson , D. Pittet Status of the implementation of the World Health Organization multimodal hand hygiene strategy in United States of America health care facilities. Am } Infect Control 2014;42:224–230.
20. JM Boyce . Hand hygiene compliance monitoring: current perspectives from the USA. J Hosp Infect 2008;70(suppl l):2–7.
22. ML Schweizer , HS Reisinger , M Ohi , et al. Searching for an optimal hand hygiene bundle: a meta-analysis. Clin Infect Dis 2014;58:248–259.
24. M Eveillard , H Hitoto , F Raymond , et al. Measurement and interpretation of hand hygiene compliance rates: importance of monitoring entire care episodes. J Hosp Infect 2009;72:211–217.
25. JP Haas , EL Larson . Measurement of compliance with hand hygiene. J Hosp Infect 2007;66:6–14.
26. H Sax , B Allegranzi , I Uckay , E Larson , J Boyce , D. Pittet “My Five Moments for Hand Hygiene”: a user-centred design approach to understand, train, monitor and report hand hygiene. J Hosp Infect 2007;67:9–21.
27. H Sax , B Allegranzi , MN Chraiti , J Boyce , E Larson , D. Pittet The World Health Organization hand hygiene observation method. Am J Infect Control 2009;37:827–834.
28. A Stewardson , H Sax , S Longet-Di Pietro , D. Pittet Impact of observation and analysis methodology when reporting hand hygiene data. J Hosp Infect 2011;77:358–359.
29. AR Marra , TZ Camargo , VJ Cardoso , et al. Hand hygiene compliance in the critical care setting: a comparative study of 2 different alcohol handrub formulations. Am J Infect Control 2013;41:136–139.
32. HS Reisinger , J Yin , L Radonovich , et al. Comprehensive survey of hand hygiene measurement and improvement practices in the Veterans Health Administration. Am J Infect Control 2013; 41:989–993.
33. JA Al-Tawfiq , MS Abed , N Al-Yami , RB Birrer . Promoting and sustaining a hospital-wide, multifaceted hand hygiene program resulted in significant reduction in health care-associated infections. Am J Infect Control 2013;41:482–486.
34. DJ Gould , J Chudleigh , NS Drey , D Moralejo . Measuring handwashing performance in health service audits and research studies. J Hosp Infect 2007;66:109–115.
35. DJ Gould , NS Drey , S. Creedon Routine hand hygiene audit by direct observation: has nemesis arrived? J Hosp Infect 2011; 77:290–293.
36. T van de Mortel , M Murgo . An examination of covert observation and solution audit as tools to measure the success of hand hygiene interventions. Am J Infect Control 2006;34:95–99.
40. SC Pan , KL Tien , IC Hung , et al. Compliance of health care workers with hand hygiene practices: independent advantages of overt and covert observers. PloS ONE 2013;8:e53746.
41. EL Larson , AE Aiello , JP Cimiotti . Assessing nurses’ hand hygiene practices by direct observation or self-report. J Nurs Meas 2004;12:77–85.
47. V Erasmus , MN Kuperus , JH Richardus , MC Vos , A Oenema , EF van Beeck . Improving hand hygiene behaviour of nurses using action planning: a pilot study in the intensive care unit and surgical ward. J Hosp Infect 2010;76:161–164.
48. K Graf , E Ott , M Wolny , et al. Hand hygiene compliance in transplant and other special patient groups: an observational study. Am J Infect Control 2013;41:503–508.
49. CR Davis . Infection-free surgery: how to improve hand-hygiene compliance and eradicate methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus from surgical wards. Ann R Coll Surg Engl 2010;92:316–319.
50. D Armellino , M Trivedi , I Law , et al. Replicating changes in hand hygiene in a surgical intensive care unit with remote video auditing and feedback. Am J Infect Control 2013;41:925–927.
51. D Armellino , E Hussain , ME Schilling , et al. Using high-technology to enforce low-technology safety measures: the use of third-party remote video auditing and real-time feedback in healthcare. Clin Infect Dis 2012;54:1–7.
52. TN Palmore , Henderson DK. Big brother is washing … video surveillance for hand hygiene adherence, through the lenses of efficacy and privacy. Clin Infect Dis 2012;54:8–9.
55. M McGuckin , R Waterman , J. Govednik Hand hygiene compliance rates in the United States—a one-year multicenter collaboration using product/volume usage measurement and feedback. Am J Med Qual 2009;24:205–213.
56. S Scheithauer , J Oude-Aost , K Heimann , et al. Hand hygiene in pediatric and neonatal intensive care unit patients: daily opportunities and indication- and profession-specific analyses of compliance. Am J Infect Control 2011;39:732–737.
57. EL Larson , E Early , P Cloonan , S Sugrue , M Parides . An organizational climate intervention associated with increased handwashing and decreased nosocomial infections. Behav Med 2000;26:14–22.
59. G Kinsella , AN Thomas , RJ Taylor . Electronic surveillance of wall-mounted soap and alcohol gel dispensers in an intensive care unit. J Hosp Infect 2007;66:34–39.
60. M Whitby , ML McLaws , K Slater , E Tong , B Johnson . Three successful interventions in health care workers that improve compliance with hand hygiene: is sustained replication possible? Am J Infect Control 2008;36:349–355.
61. MD Koff , HL Corwin , ML Beach , SD Surgenor , RW Loftus . Reduction in ventilator associated pneumonia in a mixed intensive care unit after initiation of a novel hand hygiene program. J Crit Care 2011;26:489–495.
62. OK Helder , AM Weggelaar , DC Waarsenburg , et al. Computer screen saver hand hygiene information curbs a negative trend in hand hygiene behavior. Am J Infect Control 2012;40:951–954.
65. AR Marra , LR Guastelli , CM de Araujo , et al. Positive deviance: a program for sustained improvement in hand hygiene compliance. Am J Infect Control 2011;39:1–5.
68. D Pittet , S Hugonnet , S Harbarth , et al; Infection Control Programme. Effectiveness of a hospital-wide programme to improve compliance with hand hygiene. Lancet 2000; 356(9238):1307–1312.
70. NE Eldridge , SS Woods , RS Bonello , et al. Using the Six Sigma process to implement the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Guideline for Hand Hygiene in 4 intensive care units. J Gen Intern Med 2006;21(suppl 2):S35–S42.
72. A Muller , V Denizot , S Mouillet , et al. Lack of correlation between consumption of alcohol-based solutions and adherence to guidelines for hand hygiene. J Hosp Infect 2005;59:163–164.
73. DJ Morgan , L Pineles , M Shardell , et al. Automated hand hygiene count devices may better measure compliance than human observation. Am J Infect Control 2012;40:955–959.
76. SM Swoboda , K Earsing , K Strauss , S Lane , PA Lipsett . Electronic monitoring and voice prompts improve hand hygiene and decrease nosocomial infections in an intermediate care unit. Crit Care Med 2004;32:358–363.
77. AK Venkatesh , MG Lankford , DM Rooney , T Blachford , CM Watts , GA Noskin . Use of electronic alerts to enhance hand hygiene compliance and decrease transmission of vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus in a hematology unit. Am J Infect Control 2008;36:199–205.
78. SM Swoboda , K Earsing , K Strauss , S Lane , PA Lipsett . Isolation status and voice prompts improve hand hygiene. Am J Infect Control 2007;35:470–476.
79. MG Fakhry , B Hanna , O Anderson , A Holmes , D Nathwani . Effectiveness of an audible reminder on hand hygiene adherence. Am J Infect Control 2012;40:320–323.
80. VC Cheng , JW Tai , SK Ho , et al. Introduction of an electronic monitoring system for monitoring compliance with moments 1 and 4 of the WHO “My 5 Moments for Hand Hygiene” methodology. BMC Infect Dis 2011;11:151.
81. AG Sahud , N Bhanot . Measuring hand hygiene compliance: a new frontier for improving hand hygiene. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2009;30:1132.
83. MB Edmond , A Goodell , W Zuelzer , K Sanogo , K Elam , G Bearman . Successful use of alcohol sensor technology to monitor and report hand hygiene compliance. J Hosp Infect 2010;76: 364–365.
85. LL Pineles , DJ Morgan , HM Limper , et al. Accuracy of a radiofrequency identification (RFID) badge system to monitor hand hygiene behavior during routine clinical activities. Am J Infect Control 2014;42:144–147.
87. VM Boscart , KS McGilton , A Levchenko , G Hufton , P Holliday , GR Fernie . Acceptability of a wearable hand hygiene device with monitoring capabilities, J Hosp Infect 2008;70:216–222.
88. AI Levchenko , M Boscart , GR Fernie . The feasibility of an automated monitoring system to improve nurses’ hand hygiene. Int J Med Inform 2011;80:596–603.
90. JD Siegel , E Rhinehart , M Jackson , L Chiarello . 2007 Guideline for isolation precautions: preventing transmission of infectious agents in health care settings. Am J Infect Control 2007;35(10 suppl 2):S65–S164.
94. NP O’Grady , M Alexander , LA Burns , et al. Guidelines for the prevention of intravascular catheter-related infections. Am J Infect Control 2011;39(4 suppl 1):S1–S34.
97. NJ Ehrenkranz , Alfonso ВС. Failure of bland soap handwash to prevent hand transfer of patient bacteria to urethral catheters. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1991;12:654–662.
98. M Zaragoza , M Salles , J Gomez , JM Bayas , A Trilla . Hand-washing with soap or alcoholic solutions? a randomized clinical trial of its effectiveness. Am J Infect Control 1999;27:258–261.
99. M Winnefeld , MA Richard , M Drancourt , Grob JJ. Skin tolerance and effectiveness of two hand decontamination procedures in everyday hospital use. Br J Dermatol 2000;143:546–550.
100. E Girou , S Loyeau , P Legrand , F Oppein , C Brun-Buisson . Efficacy of handrubbing with alcohol based solution versus standard handwashing with antiseptic soap: randomised clinical trial. BMJ 2002;325(7360):362.
101. G Kac , I Podglajen , M Gueneret , S Vaupre , A Bissery , G. Meyer Microbiological evaluation of two hand hygiene procedures achieved by healthcare workers during routine patient care: a randomized study. J Hosp Infect 2005;60:32–39.
103. AJ Pickering , TR Julian , S Mamuya , AB Boehm , J Davis . Bacterial hand contamination among Tanzanian mothers varies temporally and following household activities. Trop Med Int Health 2011;16:233–239.
104. A Chow , OA Arah , SP Chan , et al. Alcohol handrubbing and chlorhexidine handwashing protocols for routine hospital practice: a randomized clinical trial of protocol efficacy and time effectiveness. Am J Infect Control 2012;40:800–805.
105. EL Larson , AE Aiello , J Bastyr , et al. Assessment of two hand hygiene regimens for intensive care unit personnel. Crit Care Med 2001;29:944–951.
106. K Bellamy , R Alcock , JR Babb , JG Davies , GA Ayliffe . A test for the assessment of “hygienic” hand disinfection using rotavirus. J Hosp Infect 1993;24:201–210.
107. SA Sattar . Microbicides and the environmental control of nosocomial viral infections. J Hosp Infect 2004;56(suppl 2):S64–S69.
108. SL Lages , MA Ramakrishnan , SM Goyal . In-vivo efficacy of hand sanitisers against feline calicivirus: a surrogate for noro-virus. J Hosp Infect 2008;68:159–163.
109. RB Turner , JL Fuis , ND Rodgers . Effectiveness of hand sanitizers with and without organic acids for removal of rhinovirus from hands. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2010;54:1363–1364.
110. J Steinmann , D Paulmann , B Becker , B Bischoff , E Steinmann , J Steinmann . Comparison of virucidal activity of alcohol-based hand sanitizers versus antimicrobial hand soaps in vitro and in vivo. J Hosp Infect 2012;82:277–280.
111. JG Davies , JR Babb , CR Bradley , GA Ayliffe . Preliminary study of test methods to assess the virucidal activity of skin disinfectants using poliovirus and bacteriophages. J Hosp Infect 1993; 25:125–131.
112. ML Grayson , S Melvani , J Druce , et al. Efficacy of soap and water and alcohol-based hand-rub preparations against live H1N1 influenza virus on the hands of human volunteers. Clin Infect Dis 2009;48:285–291.
113. P Liu , B Escudero , LA Jaykus , et al. Laboratory evidence of norwalk virus contamination on the hands of infected individuals. Appl Environ Microbiol 2013;79:7875–7881.
114. C Savolainen-Kopra , T Korpela , ML Simonen-Tikka , et al. Single treatment with ethanol hand rub is ineffective against human rhinovirus—hand washing with soap and water removes the virus efficiently. J Med Virol 2012;84:543–547.
115. DV Mukherjee , B Cohen , ME Bovino , S Desai , S Whittier , EL Larson . Survival of influenza virus on hands and fomites in community and laboratory settings. Am J Infect Control 2012; 40:590–594
116. EL Larson , B Cohen , KA Baxter . Analysis of alcohol-based hand sanitizer delivery systems: efficacy of foam, gel, and wipes against influenza A (H1N1) virus on hands. Am J Infect Control 2012;40:806–809.
117. D Gould , N Drey . Hand hygiene technique. Nurs Stand 2008; 22(34):42–46.
118. SM Smith . A review of hand-washing techniques in primary care and community settings, J Clin Nurs 2009;18:786–790.
122. G Kampf , M Reichel , Y Feil , S Eggerstedt , PM Kaulfers . Influence of rub-in technique on required application time and hand coverage in hygienic hand disinfection. BMC Infect Dis 2008;8:149.
124. Y Longtin , H Sax , B Allegranzi , F Schneider , D Pittet . Videos in clinical medicine: hand hygiene. N Engl J Med 2011;364:e24.
126. G Kampf , S Marschall , S Eggerstedt , C Ostermeyer . Efficacy of ethanol-based hand foams using clinically relevant amounts: a cross-over controlled study among healthy volunteers. BMC Infect Dis 2010;10:78.
127. G Kampf , S Ruselack , S Eggerstedt , N Nowak , M Bashir . Less and less—influence of volume on hand coverage and bactericidal efficacy in hand disinfection. BMC Infect Dis 2013;13: 472.
128. E Larson , C Friedman , J Cohran , J Treston-Aurand , S Green . Prevalence and correlates of skin damage on the hands of nurses. Heart Lung 1997;26:404–412.
129. E Larson , R Girard , CL Pessoa-Silva , Boyce J , L Donaldson , D Pittet . Skin reactions related to hand hygiene and selection of hand hygiene products. Am J Infect Control 2006;34:627–635.
130. E Chamorey , P-Y Marcy , M Dandine , et al. A prospective multicenter study evaluating skin tolerance to standard hand hygiene techniques. Am J Infect Control 2011;39:6–13.
131. N Stutz , D Becker , U Jappe , et al. Nurses’ perceptions of the benefits and adverse effects of hand disinfection: alcohol-based hand rubs vs. hygienic handwashing: a multicentre questionnaire study with additional patch testing by the German contact dermatitis research group. Br J Dermatol 2009;160:565–572.
132. M Dulon , U Pohrt , C Skudlik , A Nienhaus . Prevention of occupational skin disease: a workplace intervention study in geriatric nurses. Br J Dermatol 2009;161:337–344.
133. E Houben , K DePaepe , V Rogiers . Skin condition associated with intensive use of alcoholic gels for hand disinfection: a combination of biophysical and sensorial data. Contact Dermatitis 2006;54:261–267.
135. D Ahmed-Lecheheb , L Cunat , P Hartemann , A Hautemaniere . Prospective observational study to assess hand skin condition after application of alcohol-based hand rub solutions. Am J Infect Control 2012;40:160–164.
136. EL Larson , J Cimiotti , J Haas , et al. Effect of antiseptic hand-washing vs alcohol sanitizer on health care-associated infection in neonatal intensive care units. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2005; 159:377–383.
139. C Williams , SM Wilkinson , P McShane , et al. A double-blind, randomized study to assess the effectiveness of different moisturizers in preventing dermatitis induced by hand washing to simulate healthcare use. Br J Dermatol 2010;162:1108–1192.
140. KS Ibler , GBE Jebec , TL Diepgen , et al. Skin care education and individual counselling versus treatment as usual in healthcare workers with hand eczema: randomised clinical trial. BMJ 2012;345(e7822):l–14.
141. FH Jungbauer , FB Steenstra , JW Groothoff , PJ Coenraads . Characteristics of wet work in nurses. Int Arch Occup Environ Health 2005;78:248–251.
142. JP Cimiotti , ES Marmur , M Nesin , PH Hamlin-Cook , EL Larson . Adverse reactions associated with an alcohol-based hand antiseptic among nurses in a neonatal intensive care unit. Am J Infect Control 2003;31:43–48.
146. S Johnson , DN Gerding , MM Olson , et al. Prospective, controlled study of vinyl glove use to interrupt Clostridium difficile nosocomial transmission. Am J Med 1990;88:137–140.
147. AR Tenorio , SM Badri , NB Sahgal , et al. Effectiveness of gloves in the prevention of hand carriage of vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus species by health care workers after patient care. Clin Infect Dis 2001;32:826–829.
148. RJ Olsen , P Lynch , MB Coyle , J Cummings , T Bokete , WE Stamm . Examination gloves as barriers to hand contamination in clinical practice. JAMA 1993;270:350–353.
150. AN Duckro , DW Blom , EA Lyle , RA Weinstein , MK Hayden . Transfer of vancomycin-resistant enterococci via health care worker hands. Arch Intern Med 2005;165:302–307.
151. DM Guerrero , MM Nerandzic , LA Jury , S Jinno , S Chang , CJ Donskey . Acquisition of spores on gloved hands after contact with the skin of patients with Clostridium difficile infection and with environmental surfaces in their rooms. Am J Infect Control 2012;40:556–558.
152. LJ Rossoff , S Lam , E Hilton , M Borenstein , HD Isenberg . Is the use of boxed gloves in an intensive care unit safe? Am J Med 1993;94:602–607.
153. KA Hughes , J Cornwall , JC Theis , HJ Brooks . Bacterial contamination of unused, disposable non-sterile gloves on a hospital orthopaedic ward. Australas Med J 2013;6:331–338.
154. LJ Rossoff , M Borenstein , HD Isenberg . Is hand washing really needed in an intensive care unit? Crit Care Med 1995;23:1211–1216.
155. C Rock , AD Harris , NG Reich , JK Johnson , KA Thorn . Is hand hygiene before putting on nonsterile gloves in the intensive care unit a waste of health care worker time? a randomized controlled trial. Am J Infect Control 2013;41:994–996.
156. AE Aiello , EL Larson , SB Levy . Consumer antibacterial soaps: effective or just risky? Clin Infect Dis 2007;45(suppl 2):S137–S147.
157. EN Perencevich , MT Wong , AD Harris . National and regional assessment of the antibacterial soap market: a step toward determining the impact of prevalent antibacterial soaps. Am J Infect Control 2001;29:281–283.
160. J Webster , JL Faoagali , D Cartwright . Elimination of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus from a neonatal intensive care unit after hand washing with triclosan. J Paediatr Child Health 1994;30:59–64.
161. AB Zafar , RC Butler , DJ Reese , LA Gaydos , PA Mennonna . Use of 0.3% triclosan (Bacti-Stat) to eradicate an outbreak of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in a neonatal nursery. Am J Infect Control 1995;23:200–208.
162. RD Jones , HB Jampani , JL Newman , AS Lee . Triclosan: a review of effectiveness and safety in health care settings. Am J Infect Control 2000;28:184–196.
163. MG Capretti , F Sandri , E Tridapalli , S Galletti , E Petracci , G Faldella . Impact of a standardized hand hygiene program on the incidence of nosocomial infection in very low birth weight infants. Am J Infect Control 2008;36:430–435.
165. S D’Arezzo , S Lanini , V Puro , G Ippolito , P Visca . High-level tolerance to triclosan may play a role in Pseudomonas aeruginosa antibiotic resistance in immunocompromised hosts: evidence from outbreak investigation. BMC Res Notes 2012;5:43.
166. AK Syed , S Ghosh , NG Love , BR Boles . Triclosan promotes Staphylococcus aureus nasal colonization. MBio 2014;5:e01015.
167. MM Perron , KT Ho , MG Cantwell , RM Burgess , MC Pelletier . Effects of triclosan on marine benthic and epibenthic organisms. Environ Toxicol Chem 2012;31:1861–1866.
168. AM Calafat , X Ye , LY Wong , JA Reidy , LL Needham . Urinary concentrations of triclosan in the U.S. population: 2003-2004. Environ Health Perspect 2008;116:303–307.
170. J Lankester , C Patel , MR Cullen , C Ley , J Parsonnet . Urinary triclosan is associated with elevated body mass index in NHANES. PLoS ONE 2013;8:e80057.
171. EM Clayton , M Todd , JB Dowd , AE Aiello . The impact of bisphenol A and triclosan on immune parameters in the U.S. population, NHANES 2003-2006. Environ Health Perspect 2011;119:390–396.
172. RU Halden . On the need and speed of regulating triclosan and triclocarban in the United States. Environ Sci Technol 2014;48: 3603–3611.
174. G Kampf , D Grotheer , J Steinmann . Efficacy of three ethanol-based hand rubs against feline calicivirus, a surrogate virus for norovirus. J Hosp Infect 2005;60:144–149.
175. DR Macinga , SA Sattar , LA Jaykus , JW Arbogast . Improved inactivation of nonenveloped enteric viruses and their surrogates by a novel alcohol-based hand sanitizer. Appl Environ Microbiol 2008;74:5047–5052.
176. C Gehrke , J Steinmann , P Goroncy-Bermes . Inactivation of feline calicivirus, a surrogate of norovirus (formerly Norwalk-like viruses), by different types of alcohol in vitro and in vivo. J Hosp Infect 2004;56:49–55.
177. A Kramer , AS Galabov , SA Sattar , et al. Virucidal activity of a new hand disinfectant with reduced ethanol content: comparison with other alcohol-based formulations. J Hosp Infect 2006;62:98–106.
184. SP Stone , C Fuller , J Savage , et al. Evaluation of the national Cleanyourhands campaign to reduce Staphylococcus aureus bacteraemia and Clostridium difficile infection in hospitals in England and Wales by improved hand hygiene: four year, prospective, ecological, interrupted time series study. BMJ 2012; 344:e3005.
186. N Vernaz , H Sax , D Pittet , P Bonnabry , J Schrenzel , S Harbarth . Temporal effects of antibiotic use and hand rub consumption on the incidence of MRSA and Clostridium difficile. J Antimicrob Chemother 2008;62:601–607.
188. AF Widmer , M Rotter , A Voss , et al. Surgical hand preparation: state-of-the-art. J Hosp Infect 2010;74:112–122.
190. C Carro , L Camilleri , O Traore , et al. An in-use microbiological comparison of two surgical hand disinfection techniques in cardiothoracic surgery: hand rubbing versus hand scrubbing. J Hosp Infect 2007;67:62–66.
191. MP Tavolacci , I Pitrou , V Merle , S Haghighat , D Thillard , P Czernichow . Surgical hand rubbing compared with surgical hand scrubbing: comparison of efficacy and costs, J Hosp Infect 2006; 63:55–59.
192. JJ Parienti , P Thibon , R Heller , et al. Hand-rubbing with an aqueous alcoholic solution vs traditional surgical hand-scrubbing and 30-day surgical site infection rates: a randomized equivalence study. JAMA 2002;288:722–727.
193. C Gupta , AM Czubatyj , LE Briski , AK Malani . Comparison of two alcohol-based surgical scrub solutions with an iodine-based scrub brush for presurgical antiseptic effectiveness in a community hospital. J Hosp Infect 2007;65:65–71.
195. CJ Weight , MC Lee , JS Palmer . Avagard hand antisepsis vs. traditional scrub in 3600 pediatric urologic procedures. Urology 2010;76:15–17.
197. P di Martino , KM Ban , A Bartoloni , KE Fowler , S Saint , F Mannelli . Assessing the sustainability of hand hygiene adherence prior to patient contact in the emergency department: a 1-year postintervention evaluation. Am J Infect Control 2011;39:14–18.
201. J Tanner , D Khan , S Walsh , J Chernova , S Lamont , T Laurent . Brushes and picks used on nails during the surgical scrub to reduce bacteria: a randomised trial. J Hosp Infect 2009;71(3): 234–238.
202. A Okgün Alean , F Demir Korkmaz . Comparison of the efficiency of nail pick and brush used for nail cleaning during surgical scrub on reducing bacterial counts. Am J Infect Control 2012;40(9):826–829.
208. EM Rodriguez , C Parrott , H Rolka , SS Monroe , DM Dwyer . An outbreak of viral gastroenteritis in a nursing home: importance of excluding ill employees. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1996;17:587–592.
209. SM Standaert , RH Hutcheson , W Schaffner . Nosocomial transmission of Salmonella gastroenteritis to laundry workers in a nursing home. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1994;15:22–26.
210. P Eggimann , S Harbarth , MN Constantin , S Touveneau , JC Chevrolet , D Pittet . Impact of a prevention strategy targeted at vascular-access care on incidence of infections acquired in intensive care. Lancet 2000;355(9218):1864–1868.
211. H Hirschmann , L Fux , J Podusel , et al. The influence of hand hygiene prior to insertion of peripheral venous catheters on the frequency of complications. J Hosp Infect 2001;49:199–203.
212. JC Lucet , MP Rigaud , F Mentre , et al. Hand contamination before and after different hand hygiene techniques: a randomized clinical trial, J Hosp Infect 2002;50:276–280.
214. SP Luby , M Agboatwalla , J Painter , A Altaf , WL Billhimer , RM Hoekstra . Effect of intensive handwashing promotion on childhood diarrhea in high-risk communities in Pakistan: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2004;291:2547–2554.
215. AJ Ray , CK Hoyen , TF Taub , EC Eckstein , CJ Donskey . Nosocomial transmission of vancomycin-resistant enterococci from surfaces. JAMA 2002;287:1400–1401.
217. E Larson . A causal link between handwashing and risk of infection? examination of the evidence. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1988;9:28–36.
218. RM Carrico , T Rebmann , JF English , J Mackey , SN Cronin . Infection prevention and control competencies for hospital-based health care personnel. Am J Infect Control 2008;36:691–701.
219. MR Milward , PR Cooper . Competency assessment for infection control in the undergraduate dental curriculum. Eur J Dent Educ 2007;11:148–154.
220. A Garcia-Williams , K Brinsley-Rainisch , S Schillie , R Sinkowitz-Cochran . To ask or not to ask? the results of a formative assessment of a video empowering patients to ask their health care providers to perform hand hygiene. J Patient Saf 2010;6: 80–85.
221. EA Jenner , F Jones , BC Fletcher , L Miller , GM Scott . Hand hygiene posters: selling the message, J Hosp Infect 2005;59:77–82.
224. MP Muller , AS Detsky . Public reporting of hospital hand hygiene compliance—helpful or harmful? JAMA 2010;304:1116–1117.
225. S Hugonnet , TV Perneger , D Pittet . Alcohol-based handrub improves compliance with hand hygiene in intensive care units. Arch Intern Med 2002;162:1037–1043.
226. S Harbarth , D Pittet , L Grady , et al. Interventional study to evaluate the impact of an alcohol-based hand gel in improving hand hygiene compliance. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2002;21:489–495.
229. OK Helder , J Brug , CW Looman , JB van Goudoever , Kornelisse RR The impact of an education program on hand hygiene compliance and nosocomial infection incidence in an urban neonatal intensive care unit: an intervention study with before and after comparison. Int J Nurs Stud 2010;47:1245–1252.
232. DM Zerr , AL Allpress , J Heath , R Bornemann , E Bennett . Decreasing hospital-associated rotavirus infection: a multidisciplinary hand hygiene campaign in a children’s hospital. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2005;24:397–403.
233. WE Bischoff , TM Reynolds , CN Sessler , MB Edmond , RP Wenzel . Handwashing compliance by health care workers: the impact of introducing an accessible, alcohol-based hand antiseptic. Arch Intern Med 2000;160:1017–1021.
235. M Tromp , A Huis , I de Guchteneire , et al. The short-term and long-term effectiveness of a multidisciplinary hand hygiene improvement program. Am J Infect Control 2012;40:732–736.
236. O Monistrol , E Calbo , M Riera , et al. Impact of a hand hygiene educational programme on hospital-acquired infections in medical wards. Clin Microbiol Infect 2012;18:1212–1218.
237. E Mathai , B Allegranzi , WH Seto , et al. Educating healthcare workers to optimal hand hygiene practices: addressing the need. Infection 2010;38:349–356.
238. CL Pessoa-Silva , S Hugonnet , R Pfister , et al. Reduction of health care associated infection risk in neonates by successful hand hygiene promotion. Pediatrics 2007;120:e382–e390.
239. R Girard , K Amazian , J Fabry . Better compliance and better tolerance in relation to a well-conducted introduction to rub-in hand disinfection. J Hosp Infect 2001;47:131–137.
240. E Maury , M Alzieu , JL Baudel , et al. Availability of an alcohol solution can improve hand disinfection compliance in an intensive care unit. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2000;162:324–327.
243. MA Caniza , L Duenas , B Lopez , et al. A practical guide to alcohol-based hand hygiene infrastructure in a resource-poor pediatric hospital. Am J Infect Control 2009;37:851–854.
244. AM Grant , DA Hofmann . It’s not all about me: motivating hand hygiene among health care professionals by focusing on patients. Psychol Sci 2011;22:1494–1499.
245. EL Larson , SJ Patel , D Evans , L Saiman . Feedback as a strategy to change behaviour: the devil is in the details. J Eval Clin Pract 2013;19:230–234.
246. PM Dubbert , J Dolce , W Richter , M Miller , SW Chapman Increasing ICU staff handwashing: effects of education and group feedback. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1990;11:191–193.
247. VD Rosenthal , RD McCormick , S Guzman , C Villamayor , PW Orellano . Effect of education and performance feedback on handwashing: the benefit of administrative support in Argentinean hospitals. Am J Infect Control. 2003;31:85–92.
250. JA Sellick Jr. The use of statistical process control charts in hospital epidemiology. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1993;14: 649–656.
252. J Hilburn , BS Hammond , EJ Fendler , PA Groziak . Use of alcohol hand sanitizer as an infection control strategy in an acute care facility. Am J Infect Control 2003;31:109–116.
253. D Pittet . Improving adherence to hand hygiene practice: a multidisciplinary approach. Emerg Infect Dis 2001;7:234–240.
254. SJ Schweon , SL Edmonds , J Kirk , DY Rowland , C Acosta . Effectiveness of a comprehensive hand hygiene program for reduction of infection rates in a long-term care facility. Am J Infect Control 2013;41:39–44.
256. EA Jenner , BC Fletcher , P Watson , FA Jones , L Miller , GM Scott . Discrepancy between self-reported and observed hand hygiene behaviour in healthcare professionals. J Hosp Infect 2006;63:418–422.
257. GH Guyatt , AD Oxman , GE Vist , et al. GRADE: an emerging consensus on rating quality of evidence and strength of recommendations. BMJ 2008;336(7650):924–926.