This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
3. M Day . Chief medical officer names hand hygiene and organ donation as public health priorities. BMJ 2007;335(7611):113.
4. D Pittet , B Allegranzi , H Sax , et al.Evidence-based model for hand transmission during patient care and the role of improved practices. Lancet Infect Dis 2006;6(10):641–652.
5. DJ Gould , JH Chudleigh , D Moralejo , N Drey . Interventions to improve hand hygiene compliance in patient care. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2007(2):CD005186.
7. M Whitby , CL Pessoa-Silva , ML McLaws , et al.Behavioral considerations for hand hygiene practices: the basic building blocks. J Hosp Infect 2007;65(1):1–8.
8. S Hugonnet , D Pittet . Hand hygiene—beliefs or science? Clin Microbiol Infect 2000;6(7):350–356.
9. D Pittet . Improving adherence to hand hygiene practice: a multidisciplinary approach. Emerg Infect Dis 2001;7(2):234–240.
10. D Pittet . Compliance with hand disinfection and its impact on hospital-acquired infections. J Hosp Infect 2001;48(suppl A):S40–S46.
11. D Pittet , JM Boyce . Hand hygiene and patient care: pursuing the Semmelweis legacy. Lancet Infect Dis 2001;1(0):9–20.
13. PA Jumaa . Hand hygiene: simple and complex. Int J Infect Dis 2005;9(1):3–14.
14. CA O'Boyle , SJ Henly , LJ Duckett . Nurses' motivation to wash their hands: a standardized measurement approach. Appl Nurs Res 2001;14(3):136–145.
15. D Pittet , A Simon , S Hugonnet , CL Pessoa-Silva , V Sauvan , TV Perneger . Hand hygiene among physicians: performance, beliefs, and perceptions. Ann Intern Med 2004;141(1):1–8.
16. JM Conly , S Hill , J Ross , J Lertzman , TJ Louie . Handwashing practices in an intensive care unit: the effects of an educational program and its relationship to infection rates. Am J Infect Control 1989;17(6):330–339.
17. Y Golan , S Doron , J Griffith , et al.The impact of gown-use requirement on hand hygiene compliance. Clin Infect Dis 2006;42(3):370–376.
18. AD Harris , MH Samore , R Nafziger , K DiRosario , MC Roghmann , Y Carmeli . A survey on handwashing practices and opinions of healthcare workers. J Hosp Infect 2000;45(4):318–321.
20. FI McArdle , RJ Lee , AP Gibb , TS Walsh . How much time is needed for hand hygiene in intensive care? A prospective trained observer study of rates of contact between healthcare workers and intensive care patients. J Hosp Infect 2006;62(3):304–310.
21. CA O'Boyle , SJ Henly , E Larson . Understanding adherence to hand hygiene recommendations: the theory of planned behavior. Am J Infect Control 2001;29(6):352–360.
22. TN Raju , C Kobler . Improving handwashing habits in the newborn nurseries. Am J Med Sci 1991;302(6):355–358.
23. WE Bischoff , TM Reynolds , CN Sessler , MB Edmond , RP Wenzel . Handwashing compliance by health care workers: the impact of introducing an accessible, alcohol-based hand antiseptic. Arch Intern Med 2000;160(7):1017–1021.
24. E Girou , F Oppein . Handwashing compliance in a French university hospital: new perspective with the introduction of hand-rubbing with a waterless alcohol-based solution. J Hosp Infect 2001;48(suppl A):S55–S57.
25. S Harbarth , D Pittet , L Grady , et al.Interventional study to evaluate the impact of an alcohol-based hand gel in improving hand hygiene compliance. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2002;21(6):489–495.
26. S Hugonnet , TV Perneger , D Pittet . Alcohol-based handrub improves compliance with hand hygiene in intensive care units. Arch Intern Med 2002;162(9):1037–1043.
27. E Maury , M Alzieu , JL Baudel , et al.Availability of an alcohol solution can improve hand disinfection compliance in an intensive care unit. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2000;162(1):324–327.
28. D Pittet , S Hugonnet , S Harbarth , et al; Infection Control Programme. Effectiveness of a hospital-wide programme to improve compliance with hand hygiene [published correction appears in Lancet 2000;356(9248): 2196]. Lancet 2000;356(9248):1307–1312.
29. MG Lankford , TR Zembower , WE Trick , DM Hacek , GA Noskin , LR Peterson . Influence of role models and hospital design on hand hygiene of healthcare workers. Emerg Infect Dis 2003;9(2):217–223.
30. CA Muto , MG Sistrom , BM Farr . Hand hygiene rates unaffected by installation of dispensers of a rapidly acting hand antiseptic. Am J Infect Control 2000;28(3):273–276.
31. SA Creedon . Healthcare workers' hand decontamination practices: compliance with recommended guidelines. J Adv Nurs 2005;51(3):208–216.
32. CG Nobile , P Montuori , E Diaco , P Villari . Healthcare personnel and hand decontamination in intensive care units: knowledge, attitudes, and behavior in Italy. J Hosp Infect 2002;51(3):226–232.
33. EL Larson , JL Bryan , LM Adler , C Blane . A multifaceted approach to changing handwashing behavior. Am J Infect Control 1997;25(1):3–10.
34. E Maury , N Moussa , C Lakermi , F Barbut , G Offenstadt . Compliance of health care workers to hand hygiene: awareness of being observed is important. Intensive Care Med 2006;32(12):2088–2089.
36. M Berhe , MB Edmond , G Bearman . Measurement and feedback of infection control process measures in the intensive care unit: Impact on compliance. Am J Infect Control 2006;34(8):537–539.
37. B Cohen , L Saiman , J Cimiotti , E Larson . Factors associated with hand hygiene practices in two neonatal intensive care units. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2003;22(6):494–499.
39. BN Doebbeling , GL Stanley , CT Sheetz , et al.Comparative efficacy of alternative hand-washing agents in reducing nosocomial infections in intensive care units. N Engl J Med 1992;327(2):88–93.
40. ML Earl , MM Jackson , LS Rickman . Improved rates of compliance with hand antisepsis guidelines: a three-phase observational study. Am J Nurs 2001;101(3):26–33.
41. T Eckmanns , F Schwab , J Bessert , et al.Hand rub consumption and hand hygiene compliance are not indicators of pathogen transmission in intensive care units. J Hosp Infect 2006;63(4):406–411.
42. R Girard , K Amazian , J Fabry . Better compliance and better tolerance in relation to a well-conducted introduction to rub-in hand disinfection. J Hosp Infect 2001;47(2):131–137.
43. E Girou , SH Chai , F Oppein , et al.Misuse of gloves: the foundation for poor compliance with hand hygiene and potential for microbial transmission? J Hosp Infect 2004;57(2):162–169.
44. D Gould . Nurses' hand decontamination practice: results of a local study. J Hosp Infect 1994;28(1):15–30.
45. M Graham . Frequency and duration of handwashing in an intensive care unit. Am J Infect Control 1990;18(2):77–81.
46. S Harbarth , D Pittet , L Grady , DA Goldmann . Compliance with hand hygiene practice in pediatric intensive care. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2001;2(4):311–314.
48. PW Kim , MC Roghmann , EN Perencevich , AD Harris . Rates of hand disinfection associated with glove use, patient isolation, and changes between exposure to various body sites. Am J Infect Control 2003;31(2):97–103.
50. L Moret , B Tequi , P Lombrail . Should self-assessment methods be used to measure compliance with handwashing recommendations? A study carried out in a French university hospital. Am J Infect Control 2004;32(7):384–390.
51. S Nishimura , M Kagehira , F Kono , M Nishimura , N Taenaka . Handwashing before entering the intensive care unit: what we learned from continuous video-camera surveillance. Am J Infect Control 1999;27(4):367–369.
52. D Pittet , P Mourouga , TV Perneger . Compliance with handwashing in a teaching hospital. Infection Control Program. Ann Intern Med 1999;130(2):126–130.
53. PJ Sharek , WE Benitz , NJ Abel , MJ Freeburn , ML Mayer , DA Bergman . Effect of an evidence-based hand washing policy on hand washing rates and false-positive coagulase negative staphylococcus blood and cerebrospinal fluid culture rates in a level III NICU. J Perinatol 2002;22(2):137–143.
54. B Simmons , J Bryant , K Neiman , L Spencer , K Arheart . The role of handwashing in prevention of endemic intensive care unit infections. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1990;11(11):589–594.
55. D Aragon , ML Sole , S Brown . Outcomes of an infection prevention project focusing on hand hygiene and isolation practices. AACN Clin Issues 2005;16(2):121–132.
56. EA Jenner , BC Fletcher , P Watson , FA Jones , L Miller , GM Scott . Discrepancy between self-reported and observed hand hygiene behavior in healthcare professionals. J Hosp Infect 2006;63(4):418–422.
57. J Raboud , R Saskin , K Wong , et al.Patterns of handwashing behavior and visits to patients on a general medical ward of healthcare workers. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2004;25(3):198–202.
58. M Whitby , ML McLaws . Handwashing in healthcare workers: accessibility of sink location does not improve compliance. J Hosp Infect 2004;58(4):247–253.
59. H Sax , I Uckay , H Richet , B Allegranzi , D Pittet . Determinants of good adherence to hand hygiene among healthcare workers who have extensive exposure to hand hygiene campaigns. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2007;28(11):1267–1274.
60. RM Sladek , MJ Bond , PA Phillips . Why don't doctors wash their hands? A correlational study of thinking styles and hand hygiene. Am J Infect Control 2008;36(6):399–406.
61. MO Vernon , WE Trick , SF Welbel , BJ Peterson , RA Weinstein . Adherence with hand hygiene: does number of sinks matter? Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2003;24(3):224–225.
62. C Watanakunakorn , C Wang , J Hazy . An observational study of hand washing and infection control practices by healthcare workers. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1998;19(11):858–860.
63. WE Trick , MO Vernon , SF Welbel , et al.Multicenter intervention program to increase adherence to hand hygiene recommendations and glove use and to reduce the incidence of antimicrobial resistance. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2007;28(1):42–49.
64. AL Cromer , SC Latham , KG Bryant , et al.Monitoring and feedback of hand hygiene compliance and the impact on facility-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Am J Infect Control 2008;36(9):672–677.
66. JM Duggan , S Hensley , S Khuder , TJ Papadimos , L Jacobs . Inverse correlation between level of professional education and rate of handwashing compliance in a teaching hospital. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2008;29(6):534–538.
67. A Pan , P Mondello , K Posfay-Barbe , et al.Hand hygiene and glove use behavior in an Italian hospital. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2007;28(9): 1099–1102.
68. E Giannitsioti , S Athanasia , A Antoniadou , et al.Does a bed rail system of alcohol-based handrub antiseptic improve compliance of health care workers with hand hygiene? Results from a pilot study. Am J Infect Control 2009;37(2):160–163.
69. D Cantrell , O Shamriz , MJ Cohen , Z Stern , C Block , M Brezis . Hand hygiene compliance by physicians: marked heterogeneity due to local culture? Am J Infect Control 2009;37(4):301–305.
70. A MacDonald , F Dinah , D MacKenzie , A Wilson . Performance feedback of hand hygiene, using alcohol gel as the skin decontaminant, reduces the number of inpatients newly affected by MRSA and antibiotic costs. J Hosp Infect 2004;56(1):56–63.
71. A Aizman , JD Stein , SM Stenson . A survey of patterns of physician hygiene in ophthalmology clinic patient encounters. Eye Contact Lens 2003;29(4):221–222.
72. G Shimokura , DJ Weber , WC Miller , H Wurtzel , MJ Alter . Factors associated with personal protection equipment use and hand hygiene among hemodialysis staff. Am J Infect Control 2006;34(3):100–107.
73. A Feather , SP Stone , A Wessier , KA Boursicot , C Pratt . ‘Now please wash your hands’: the handwashing behavior of final MBBS candidates. J Hosp Infect 2000;45(1):62–64.
74. MD Arenas Jimenez , J Sanchez-Paya , C Gonzales , F Rivera , A Antolin . Audit on the degree of application of universal precautions in a haemodialysis unit. Nephrol Dial Transplant 1999;14(4):1001–1003.
75. MD Arenas , J Sanchez-Paya , G Barril , et al.A multicentric survey of the practice of hand hygiene in haemodialysis units: factors affecting compliance. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2005;20(6):1164–1171.
76. E Alp , D Haverkate , A Voss . Hand hygiene among laboratory workers. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2006;27(9):978–980.
77. AK Venkatesh , MG Lankford , DM Rooney , T Blachford , CM Watts , GA Noskin . Use of electronic alerts to enhance hand hygiene compliance and decrease transmission of vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus in a hematology unit. Am J Infect Control 2008;36(3):199–205.
78. TL Angtuaco , FG Oprescu , SK Lai , et al.Universal precautions guideline: self-reported compliance by gastroenterologists and gastrointestinal endoscopy nurses—a decade's lack of progress. Am J Gastroenterol 2003;98(11):2420–2423.
79. ST Dorsey , RK Cydulka , CL Emerman . Is handwashing teachable?: failure to improve handwashing behavior in an urban emergency department. Acad Emerg Med 1996;3(4):360–365.
80. N el Mikatti , P Dillon , TE Healy . Hygienic practices of consultant anaesthetists: a survey in the north-west region of the UK. Anaesthesia 1999;54(1):13–18.
81. PA Lipsett , SM Swoboda . Handwashing compliance depends on professional status. Surg Infect (Larchmt) 2001;2(3):241–245.
82. MR Meengs , BK Giles , CD Chisholm , WH Cordell , DR Nelson . Handwashing frequency in an emergency department. Ann Emerg Med 1994;23(6):1307–1312.
83. D Pittet , F Stéphan , S Hugonnet , C Akakpo , B Souweine , F Clergue . Hand-cleansing during postanesthesia care. Anesthesiology 2003;99(3):530–535.
84. M Thomas , W Gillespie , J Krauss , et al.Focus group data as a tool in assessing effectiveness of a hand hygiene campaign. Am J Infect Control 2005;33(6):368–373.
85. T van de Mortel , R Bourke , L Fillipi , et al.Maximising handwashing rates in the critical care unit through yearly performance feedback. Aust Crit Care 2000;13(3):91–95.
86. T van de Mortel , R Bourke , J McLoughlin , M Nonu , M Reis . Gender influences handwashing rates in the critical care unit. Am J Infect Control 2001;29(6):395–399.
87. C Benton . Hand hygiene—meeting the JCAHO safety goal: can compliance with CDC hand hygiene guidelines be improved by a surveillance and educational program? Plast Surg Nurs 2007;27(1):40–44.
88. S Samraj , J Westbury , A Pallett , D Rowen . Compliance with hand hygiene in a genitourinary medicine department. Int J STD AIDS 2008;19(11):782–783.
89. JP Haas , EL Larson . Impact of wearable alcohol gel dispensers on hand hygiene in an emergency department. Acad Emerg Med 2008;15(4):393–396.
91. LJ Sproat , TJ Inglis . A multicentre survey of hand hygiene practice in intensive care units. J Hosp Infect 1994;26(2):137–148.
92. M Snow , GL White Jr SC Alder , JB Stanford . Mentor's hand hygiene practices influence student's hand hygiene rates. Am J Infect Control 2006;34(1):18–24.
93. DJ Diekema , SS Schuldt , MA Albanese , BN Doebbeling . Universal precautions training of preclinical students: impact on knowledge, attitudes, and compliance. Prev Med 1995;24(6):580–585.
94. W Afif , P Huor , P Brassard , VG Loo . Compliance with mefhicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus precautions in a teaching hospital. Am J Infect Control 2002;30(7):430–433.
95. B Coignard , B Grandbastien , Y Berrouane , et al.Handwashing quality: impact of a special program. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1998;19(7):510–513.
96. S Lund , J Jackson , J Leggett , L Hales , R Dworkin , D Gilbert . Reality of glove use and handwashing in a community hospital. Am J Infect Control 1994;22(6):352–357.
97. J Randle , M Clarke , J Storr . Hand hygiene compliance in healthcare workers. J Hosp Infect 2006;64(3):205–209.
98. C Wendt , D Knautz , H von Baum . Differences in hand hygiene behavior related to the contamination risk of healthcare activities in different groups of healthcare workers. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2004;25(3):203–206.
99. R Wurtz , G Moye , B Jovanovic . Handwashing machines, handwashing compliance, and potential for cross-contamination. Am J Infect Control 1994;22(4):228–230.
100. R Hussein , R Khakoo , G Hobbs . Hand hygiene practices in adult versus pediatric intensive care units at a university hospital before and after intervention. Scand J Infect Dis 2007;39(6-7):566–570.
101. CL Pessoa-Silva , S Hugonnet , R Pfister , et al.Reduction of health care associated infection risk in neonates by successful hand hygiene promotion. Pediatrics 2007;120(2):e382–e390.
102. L Rose , K Rogel , L Redl , JF Cade . Implementation of a multimodal infection control program during an Acinetobacter outbreak. Intensive Crit Care Nurs 2009;25(2):57–63.
103. ME Rupp , T Fitzgerald , S Puumala , et al.Prospective, controlled, cross-over trial of alcohol-based hand gel in critical care units. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2008;29(1):8–15.
104. O Traore , S Hugonnet , J Lubbe , W Griffiths , D Pittet . Liquid versus gel handrub formulation: a prospective intervention study. Crit Care 2007;11(3):R52.
105. J Zimakoff , M Stormark , SO Larsen . Use of gloves and handwashing behavior among health care workers in intensive care units. A multi-centre investigation in four hospitals in Denmark and Norway. J Hosp Infect 1993;24(1):63–67.
106. RE Dedrick , RL Sinkowitz-Cochran , C Cunningham , et al.Hand hygiene practices after brief encounters with patients: an important opportunity for prevention. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2007;28(3):341–345.
107. C Tvedt , G Bukholm . Alcohol-based hand disinfection: a more robust hand-hygiene method in an intensive care unit. J Hosp Infect 2005;59(3):229–234.
108. T van de Mortel , M Murgo . An examination of covert observation and solution audit as tools to measure the success of hand hygiene interventions. Am J Infect Control 2006;34(3):95–99.
109. EL Larson , D Quiros , SX Lin . Dissemination of the CDC's Hand Hygiene Guideline and impact on infection rates. Am J Infect Control 2007;35(10):666–675.
112. M McGuckin , A Taylor , V Martin , L Porten , R Salcido . Evaluation of a patient education model for increasing hand hygiene compliance in an inpatient rehabilitation unit. Am J Infect Control 2004;32(4):235–238.
113. JP Haas , EL Larson . Measurement of compliance with hand hygiene. J Hosp Infect 2007;66(1):6–14.
114. V Erasmus , W Brouwer , EF van Beeck , et al.A qualitative exploration of reasons for poor hand hygiene among hospital workers: lack of positive role models and of convincing evidence that hand hygiene prevents cross-infection. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2009;30:415–419.
115. R Barrett , J Randle . Hand hygiene practices: nursing students' perceptions. J Clin Nurs 2008;17(14):1851–1857.
116. M Whitby , ML McLaws , MW Ross . Why healthcare workers don't wash their hands: a behavioral explanation. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2006;27(5):484–492.