2. Klevens, RM, Edwards, JR, Richards, CL Jr, et al. Estimating health care-associated infections and deaths in US hospitals, 2002. Public Health Rep 2007;122:160–166.
3. Marchetti, A, Rossiter, R. Economic burden of healthcare-associated infection in US acute care hospitals: societal perspective. J Med Econ 2013;16:1399–1404.
4. Ling, ML, Apisarnthanarak, A, Madriaga, G. The burden of healthcare-associated infections in Southeast Asia: a systematic literature review and meta-analysis. Clin Infect Dis 2015;60:1690–1699.
5. Magill, SS, Edwards, JR, Bamberg, W, et al. Multistate point-prevalence survey of health care-associated infections. N Engl J Med 2014;370:1198–1208.
6. Laxminarayan, R, Duse, A, Wattal, C, et al. Antibiotic resistance-the need for global solutions. Lancet Infect Dis 2013;13:1057–1098.
8. Lim, C, Takahashi, E, Hongsuwan, M, et al. Epidemiology and burden of multidrug-resistant bacterial infection in a developing country. Elife 2016;5:e18082. doi: 10.7554/eLife.18082.
9. Kollef, MH, Fraser, VJ. Antibiotic resistance in the intensive care unit. Ann Intern Med 2001;134:298–314.
10. Allegranzi, B, Bagheri Nejad, S, Combescure, C, et al. Burden of endemic healthcare-associated infection in developing countries: systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet 2011;377:228–241.
11. Liberati, A, Altman, DG, Tetzlaff, J, et al. The PRISMA statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analyses of studies that evaluate health care interventions: explanation and elaboration. PLoS Med 2009;6(7):e1000100. doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1000100.
12. Magiorakos, AP, Srinivasan, A, Carey, RB, et al. Multidrug-resistant, extensively drug-resistant and pandrug-resistant bacteria: an international expert proposal for interim standard definitions for acquired resistance. Clin Microbiol Infect 2012;18:268–281.
13. von Elm, E, Altman, DG, Egger, M, et al. The strengthening the reporting of observational studies in epidemiology (STROBE) statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies. J Clin Epidemiol 2008;61:344–349.
14. Turner, P, Pol, S, Soeng, S, et al. High prevalence of antimicrobial-resistant gram-negative colonization in hospitalized Cambodian infants. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2016;35:856–861.
15. Chong, SJ, Ahmed, S, Tay, JM, Song, C, Tan, TT. 5 year analysis of bacteriology culture in a tropical burns ICU. Burns 2011;37:1349–1353.
16. Lukac, PJ, Bonomo, RA, Logan, LK. Extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing Enterobacteriaceae in children: old foe, emerging threat. Clin Infect Dis 2015;60:1389–1397.
17. Kock, R, Becker, K, Cookson, B, et al. Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA): burden of disease and control challenges in Europe. Euro Surveill 2010;15:19688.
18. Dantes, R, Mu, Y, Belflower, R, et al. National burden of invasive methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections, United States, 2011. JAMA Intern Med 2013;173:1970–1978.
19. Hidron, AI, Edwards, JR, Patel, J, et al. NHSN annual update: antimicrobial-resistant pathogens associated with healthcare-associated infections: annual summary of data reported to the National Healthcare Safety Network at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2006–2007. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2008;29:996–1011.
20. Choi, JY, Kwak, YG, Yoo, H, et al. Trends in the distribution and antimicrobial susceptibility of causative pathogens of device-associated infection in Korean intensive care units from 2006 to 2013: results from the Korean Nosocomial Infections Surveillance System (KONIS). J Hosp Infect 2016;92:363–371.
21. Chim, H, Tan, BH, Song, C. Five-year review of infections in a burn intensive care unit: high incidence of Acinetobacter baumannii in a tropical climate. Burns 2007;33:1008–1014.
22. Inchai, J, Pothirat, C, Liwsrisakun, C, Deesomchok, A, Kositsakulchai, W, Chalermpanchai, N. Ventilator-associated pneumonia: epidemiology and prognostic indicators of 30-day mortality. Jpn J Infect Dis 2015;68:181–186.
23. Esterly, JS, Griffith, M, Qi, C, Malczynski, M, Postelnick, MJ, Scheetz, MH. Impact of carbapenem resistance and receipt of active antimicrobial therapy on clinical outcomes of Acinetobacter baumannii bloodstream infections. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2011;55:4844–4849.
24. Shorr, AF, Zilberberg, MD, Micek, ST, Kollef, MH. Predictors of hospital mortality among septic ICU patients with Acinetobacter spp. bacteremia: a cohort study. BMC Infect Dis 2014;14:572.
25. Janahiraman, S, Aziz, MN, Hoo, FK, et al. Resistance patterns of multidrug resistant Acinetobacter baumannii in an ICU of a tertiary care hospital, Malaysia. Pak J Med Sci 2015;31:1383–1388.
26. Thatrimontrichai, A, Techato, C, Dissaneevate, S, et al. Risk factors and outcomes of carbapenem-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii ventilator-associated pneumonia in the neonate: a case-case-control study. J Infect Chemother 2016;22:444–449.
27. Apisarnthanarak, A, Pinitchai, U, Thongphubeth, K, Yuekyen, C, Warren, DK, Fraser, VJ. A multifaceted intervention to reduce pandrug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii colonization and infection in 3 intensive care units in a Thai tertiary care center: a 3-year study. Clin Infect Dis 2008;47:760–767.
28. Ng, E, Earnest, A, Lye, DC, Ling, ML, Ding, Y, Hsu, LY. The excess financial burden of multidrug resistance in severe gram-negative infections in Singaporean hospitals. Ann Acad Med Singapore 2012;41:189–193.
29. Vincent, JL, Rello, J, Marshall, J, et al. International study of the prevalence and outcomes of infection in intensive care units. JAMA 2009;302:2323–2329.
30. Smith, PW. Seasonal incidence of Acinetobacter infection. J Infect Dis 1979;140:275–276.
31. McDonald, LC, Banerjee, SN, Jarvis, WR. Seasonal variation of Acinetobacter infections: 1987–1996. Nosocomial Infections Surveillance System. Clin Infect Dis 1999;29:1133–1137.
32. Trottier, V, Segura, PG, Namias, N, King, D, Pizano, LR, Schulman, CI. Outcomes of Acinetobacter baumannii infection in critically ill burned patients. J Burn Care Res 2007;28:248–254.
33. Roberts, SA, Findlay, R, Lang, SD. Investigation of an outbreak of multi-drug resistant Acinetobacter baumannii in an intensive care burns unit. J Hosp Infect 2001;48:228–232.
34. Simor, AE, Lee, M, Vearncombe, M, et al. An outbreak due to multiresistant Acinetobacter baumannii in a burn unit: risk factors for acquisition and management. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2002;23:261–267.
35. Rock, C, Harris, AD, Johnson, JK, Bischoff, WE, Thom, KA. Infrequent air contamination with Acinetobacter baumannii of air surrounding known colonized or infected patients. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2015;36:830–832.
36. Blot, S, Koulenti, D, Dimopoulos, G, et al. Prevalence, risk factors, and mortality for ventilator-associated pneumonia in middle-aged, old, and very old critically ill patients. Crit Care Med 2014;42:601–609.
37. Weiner, LM, Webb, AK, Limbago, B, et al. Antimicrobial-resistant pathogens associated with healthcare-associated infections: summary of data reported to the National Healthcare Safety Network at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2011–2014. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2016;37:1288–1301.
38. Poulikakos, P, Tansarli, GS, Falagas, ME. Combination antibiotic treatment versus monotherapy for multidrug-resistant, extensively drug-resistant, and pandrug-resistant Acinetobacter infections: a systematic review. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 2014;33:1675–1685.
39. Harris, PN, Le, BD, Tambyah, P, et al. Antiseptic body washes for reducing the transmission of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: a cluster crossover study. Open Forum Infect Dis 2015;2:ofv051.
40. Ling, ML, Tee, YM, Tan, SG, et al. Risk factors for acquisition of carbapenem resistant Enterobacteriaceae in an acute tertiary care hospital in Singapore. Antimicrob Resist Infect Control 2015;4:26.
41. Vasudevan, A, Mukhopadhyay, A, Goh, EY, Li, J, Tambyah, PA. Risk factors for infection/colonization caused by resistant gram-negative bacilli in critically ill patients (an observational study of 1633 critically ill patients). Prev Med 2013;57:S70–S73.
42. Vasudevan, A, Chuang, L, Jialiang, L, Mukhopadhyay, A, Goh, EY, Tambyah, PA. Inappropriate empirical antimicrobial therapy for multidrug-resistant organisms in critically ill patients with pneumonia is not an independent risk factor for mortality: results of a prospective observational study of 758 patients. J Glob Antimicrob Resist 2013;1:123–130.
43. Oh, HM, Tan, TY, Chua, GH, Li, J, Meng, QS. The impact of active surveillance cultures in reducing methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections in a surgical intensive care unit in Singapore. BMC Proc 2011;5:P233.
44. Kurup, A, Chlebicka, N, Tan, KY, et al. Active surveillance testing and decontamination strategies in intensive care units to reduce methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections. Am J Infect Control 2010;38:361–367.
45. Donaldson, AD, Razak, L, Liang, LJ, Fisher, DA, Tambyah, PA. Carbapenems and subsequent multiresistant bloodstream infection: does treatment duration matter? Int J Antimicrob Agents 2009;34:246–251.
46. Kwa, AL, Low, JG, Lee, E, Kurup, A, Chee, HL, Tam, VH. The impact of multidrug resistance on the outcomes of critically ill patients with gram-negative bacterial pneumonia. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 2007;58:99–104.
47. Ling, ML, Ang, A, Wee, M, Wang, GC. A nosocomial outbreak of multiresistant Acinetobacter baumannii originating from an intensive care unit. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2001;22:48–49.
48. Ng, SP, Gomez, JM, Lim, SH, Ho, NK. Reduction of nosocomial infection in a neonatal intensive care unit (NICU). Singapore Med J 1998;39:319–323.
49. Tan, KW, Tay, L, Lim, SH. An outbreak of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in a neonatal intensive care unit in Singapore: a 20-month study of clinical characteristics and control. Singapore Med J 1994;35:277–282.
50. Boonyasiri, A, Thaisiam, P, Permpikul, C, et al. Effectiveness of chlorhexidine wipes for the prevention of multidrug-resistant bacterial colonization and hospital-acquired infections in intensive care unit patients: a randomized trial in Thailand. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2016;37:245–253.
51. Chusri, S, Silpapojakul, K, McNeil, E, Singkhamanan, K, Chongsuvivatwong, V. Impact of antibiotic exposure on occurrence of nosocomial carbapenem-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii infection: a case control study. J Infect Chemother 2015;21:90–95.
52. Inchai, J, Pothirat, C, Bumroongkit, C, Limsukon, A, Khositsakulchai, W, Liwsrisakun, C. Prognostic factors associated with mortality of drug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii ventilator-associated pneumonia. J Intensive Care 2015;3:9.
53. Tong, SY, Holden, MT, Nickerson, EK, et al. Genome sequencing defines phylogeny and spread of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in a high transmission setting. Genome Res 2015;25:111–118.
54. Apisarnthanarak, A, Pinitchai, U, Warachan, B, Warren, DK, Khawcharoenporn, T, Hayden, MK. Effectiveness of infection prevention measures featuring advanced source control and environmental cleaning to limit transmission of extremely drug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii in a Thai intensive care unit: an analysis before and after extensive flooding. Am J Infect Control 2014;42:116–121.
55. Chittawatanarat, K, Jaipakdee, W, Chotirosniramit, N, Chandacham, K, Jirapongcharoenlap, T. Microbiology, resistance patterns, and risk factors of mortality in ventilator-associated bacterial pneumonia in a Northern Thai tertiary-care university based general surgical intensive care unit. Infect Drug Resist 2014;7:203–210.
56. Thatrimontrichai, A, Apisarnthanarak, A, Chanvitan, P, Janjindamai, W, Dissaneevate, S, Maneenil, G. Risk factors and outcomes of carbapenem-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii bacteremia in neonatal intensive care unit: a case-case-control study. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2013;32:140–145.
57. Nakwan, NW, Patungkalo, W, Chokephaibulkit, K. Clinical features, risk factors, and outcome of carbapenem-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii bacteremia in a Thai neonatal intensive care unit. Asian Biomed 2012;6:473–479.
58. Nakwan, N, Wannaro, J, Thongmak, T, et al. Safety in treatment of ventilator-associated pneumonia due to extensive drug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii with aerosolized colistin in neonates: a preliminary report. Pediatr Pulmonol 2011;46:60–66.
59. Sritippayawan, S, Sri-Singh, K, Prapphal, N, Samransamruajkit, R, Deerojanawong, J. Multidrug-resistant hospital-associated infections in a pediatric intensive care unit: a cross-sectional survey in a Thai university hospital. Int J Infect Dis 2009;13:506–512.
60. Katherason, SG, Naing, L, Jaalam, K, et al. Prospective surveillance of nosocomial device-associated bacteremia in three adult intensive units in Malaysia. Trop Biomed 2010;27:308–316.
61. Katherason, SG, Naing, L, Jaalam, K, et al. Ventilator-associated nosocomial pneumonia in intensive care units in Malaysia. J Infect Dev Ctries 2009;3:704–710.
62. Katherason, SG, Naing, L, Jaalam, K, Ismail, A. Baseline assessment of intensive care-acquired nosocomial infection surveillance in three adult intensive care units in Malaysia. J Infect Dev Ctries 2008;2:364–368.
63. Tan, CC, Zanariah, Y, Lim, KI, Balan, S. Central venous catheter-related blood stream infections: incidence and an analysis of risk factors. Med J Malaysia 2007;62:370–374.
64. Boo, NY, Ng, SF, Lim, VK. A case-control study of risk factors associated with rectal colonization of extended-spectrum beta-lactamase producing Klebsiella sp. in newborn infants. J Hosp Infect 2005;61:68–74.
65. Halder, D, Seng, QB, Malik, AS, Choo, KE. Neonatal septic arthritis. SE Asia J Trop Med Public Health 1996;27:600–605.
66. Le, NK, Hf, W, Vu, PD, et al. High prevalence of hospital-acquired infections caused by gram-negative carbapenem resistant strains in Vietnamese pediatric ICUs. Medicine (Baltimore) 2016;95:e4099.
67. Schultsz, C, Bootsma, MC, Loan, HT, et al. Effects of infection control measures on acquisition of five antimicrobial drug-resistant microorganisms in a tetanus intensive care unit in Vietnam. Intensive Care Med 2013;39:661–671.
68. Le, T, Nga, TTT, Minoru, A, Kirikae, T. Ventilation associated pneumonia caused by Acinetobacter baumannii at a tertiary hospital in Vietnam: clinical and molecular patterns. Am J Infect Control 2012;40:e53.
69. Gill, CJ, Mantaring, JB, Macleod, WB, et al. Impact of enhanced infection control at 2 neonatal intensive care units in the Philippines. Clin Infect Dis 2009;48:13–21.
70. Litzow, JM, Gill, CJ, Mantaring, JB, et al. High frequency of multidrug-resistant gram-negative rods in 2 neonatal intensive care units in the Philippines. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2009;30:543–549.
71. Saharman, YR, Lestari, DC. Phenotype characterization of beta-lactamase producing Enterobacteriaceae in the intensive care unit (ICU) of Cipto Mangunkusumo Hospital in 2011. Acta Med Indones 2013;45:11–16.