This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. AE Ades , G Lu , K Claxton . Expected value of sample information calculations in medical decision modeling. Med Decis Making. 2004; 24: 207–227.
6. K Claxton , LF Lacey , SG Walker . Selecting treatments: A decision theoretic approach. J R Stat Soc Ser A Stat Soc. 2000; 163: 211–225.
7. K Claxton . The irrelevance of inference: A decision-making approach to the stochastic evaluation of health care technologies. J Health Econ. 1999; 18: 341–364.
8. K Claxton , L Ginnelly , M Sculpher , A pilot study on the use of decision theory and value of information analysis as part of the NHS health technology assessment programme. Health Technol Assess. 2004; 8: 1–103, iii.
9. K Claxton , J Posnett . An economic approach to clinical trial design and research priority-setting. Health Econ. 1996; 5: 513–524.
10. K Claxton , M Sculpher , M Drummond . A rational framework for decision making by the National Institute For Clinical Excellence (NICE). Lancet. 2002; 360: 711–715.
11. AJ Clegg , DA Scott , E Loveman , The clinical and cost-effectiveness of left ventricular assist devices for end-stage heart failure: A systematic review and economic evaluation. Health Technol Assess. 2005; 9: 1–148.
12. JG Cleland . Heart failure: A medical hydra. Lancet. 1998; 352 (Suppl 1): SI1–SI2.
13. GS Day , DB Montgomery . Diagnosing the experience curve. J Mark. 1983; 47: 44–58.
18. JC Felli , GB Hazen . Sensitivity analysis and the expected value of perfect information. Med Decis Making. 1998; 18: 95–109.
21. PH Garthwaite , JB Kadane , A O'Hagan . Statistical methods for eliciting probability distributions. J Am Stat Assoc. 2005; 100: 680–700.
22. BD Henderson . The application and misapplication of the experience curve. J Bus Strategy. 1984; 4: 3–9.
24. H Hoshi , T Shinshi , S Takatani . Third-generation blood pumps with mechanical noncontact magnetic bearings. Artif Organs. 2006; 30: 324–338.
26. R John . Donor management and selection for heart transplantation. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2004; 16: 364–369.
27. JK Kirklin , WL Holman . Mechanical circulatory support therapy as a bridge to transplant or recovery (new advances). Curr Opin Cardiol. 2006; 21: 120–126.
29. RJ Lilford , D Braunholtz . The statistical basis of public policy: A paradigm shift is overdue. BMJ. 1996; 313: 603–607.
30. JW Long , AG Kfoury , MS Slaughter , Long-term destination therapy with the HeartMate XVE left ventricular assist device. Improved outcomes since the REMATCH Study. Congest Heart Fail. 2005; 11: 133–138.
31. LW Miller , KE Nelson , RR Bostic , Hospital costs for left ventricular assist devices for destination therapy: Lower costs for implantation in the post-REMATCH era. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2006; 25: 778–784.
32. PA Morris . Decision analysis expert use. Manage Sci. 1974; 20: 1233–1241.
33. AJ Moskowitz , AD Weinberg , MC Oz , Quality of life with an implanted left ventricular assist device. Ann Thorac Surg. 1997; 64: 1764–1769.
36. SJ Park , A Tector , W Piccioni , Left ventricular assist devices as destination therapy: A new look at survival. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2005; 129: 9–17.
37. EF Philbin . Comprehensive multidisciplinary programs for the management of patients with congestive heart failure. J Gen Intern Med. 1999; 14: 130–135.
39. MD Rawlins , AJ Culyer . National Institute for Clinical Excellence and its value judgments. BMJ. 2004; 329: 224–227.
41. EA Rose , AJ Moskowitz , M Packer , The REMATCH Trial: Rationale, design, and end points. randomized evaluation of mechanical assistance for the treatment of congestive heart failure. Ann Thorac Surg. 1999; 67: 723–730.
42. EA Rose , AC Gelijns , AJ Moskowitz ; and the Randomized Evaluation of Mechanical Assistance for the Treatment of Congestive Heart Failure (REMATCH) Study Group. Long-term use of a left ventricular assist device for end-stage heart failure. N Engl J Med. 2001; 345: 1435–1443.
44. MP Siegenthaler , S Westaby , OH Frazier , Advanced heart failure: Feasibility study of long-term continuous axial flow pump support. Eur Heart J. 2005; 26: 1031–1038.
45. DJ Spiegelhalter , KR Abrams , JP Myles . Bayesian approaches to clinical trials and health-care evaluation. New York: Wiley; 2004.
46. LW Stevenson , P Shekar . Ventricular assist devices for durable support. Circulation. 2005; 112: e111–e115.
47. S Takatani . Progress of rotary blood pumps. Artif Organs. 2006; 30: 317–321.
48. H Tsukui , S Winowich , E Stanford , Does a rotary pump provide full cardiac decompression and circulatory support?— from clinical experiences of HeartMate II with severe congestive heart failure patients. ASAIO. 2005; 51: 2.
49. AR Willan , EM Pinto . The value of information and optimal clinical trial design. Stat Med. 2005; 24: 1791–1806.