1. Benatar D, Bondmass M, Ghitelman J, Avitall B. Outcomes of chronic heart failure. Arch Intern Med. 2003;163:347–352.
2. Berger RA. Mini-incision total hip replacement using an anterolateral approach: Technique and results. Orthop Clin North Am. 2004;35:143–151.
3. Biermann E, Dietrich W, Rihl J, Standl E. Are there time and cost savings by using telemanagement for patients on intensified insulin therapy? A randomised, controlled trial. Comput Methods Programs Biomed. 2002;69:137–146.
4. Bondmass M, Bolger N, Castro G, Avitall B. The effect of physiologic home monitoring and telemanagement on chronic heart failure outcomes. Internet J Adv Nurs Pract. 1999;3:17.
5. British Columbia Ministry of Health. Chronic disease management. Victoria: British Columbia Ministry of Health; 2007.
6. Bundkirchen A, Schwinger RHG. Epidemiology and economic burden of chronic heart failure. Eur Heart J Suppl. 2004;6:D57-D60.
7. Canada Health Infoway. Home telehealth business case report. Toronto: Canada Health Infoway; 2007.
8. Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health (CADTH). Guidelines for economic evaluation of health technologies. Ottawa, Canada: CADTH; 2006.
9. CDW Corporation. CDW Product Overview: Oracle Database 11g Standard Edition One. CDW-G: IT Products and Services for Government, Education and Healthcare. Vernon Hills, IL: CDW; 2008.
10. Chase HP, Pearson JA, Wightman C, Roberts MD, Oderberg AD, Garg SK. Modem transmission of glucose values reduces the costs and need for clinic visits. Diabetes Care. 2003;26:1475–1479.
11. Cherry JC, Moffatt TP, Rodriguez C, Dryden K. Diabetes disease management program for an indigent population empowered by telemedicine technology. Diabetes Technol Ther. 2002;4:783–791.
12. Dansky KH, Palmer L, Shea D, Bowles KH. Cost analysis of telehomecare. Telemed J E Health. 2001;7:225–232.
13. DeBusk RF, Miller NH, Parker KM, et al. Care management for low-risk patients with heart failure: A randomized, controlled trial. Ann Intern Med. 2004;141:606–613.
14. Department of Health. Extra-mural program. St. John's, NB: Government of New Brunswick; 2008.
15. DeVol R, Bedroussian A. An unhealthy America: The economic burden of chronic disease. Santa Monica, CA: Milken Institute; 2007.
16. Drummond MF, O'Brien BJ, Stoddart GL, Torrance GW. Methods for the economic evaluation of health care programmes. 2nd ed. New York: Oxford University Press; 1997.
17. ECRI. Portable blood glucose monitors. Health Devices. 1994;23:62–99.
18. ECRI. Portable blood glucose monitors. Health Devices. 1997;26:338–394.
19. Farrero E, Escarrabill J, Prats E, Maderal M, Manresa F. Impact of a hospital-based home-care program on the management of COPD patients receiving long-term oxygen therapy. Chest. 2001;119:364–369.
20. Galbreath AD, Krasuski RA, Smith B, et al. Long-term healthcare and cost outcomes of disease management in a large, randomized, community-based population with heart failure. Circulation. 2004;110:3518–3526.
21. Hailey D, Ohinmaa A, Roine R. Study quality and evidence of benefit in recent assessments of telemedicine. J Telemed Telecare. 2004;10:318–324.
22. HealthFrontier. Shopping cart: ecg@home. Branchburg, NJ: HealthFrontier; 2008.
23. Heidenreich PA, Ruggerio CM, Massie BM. Effect of a home monitoring system on hospitalization and resource use for patients with heart failure. Am Heart J. 1999;138 (Pt 1):633–640.
24. Hewlett-Packard. HP ProLiant DL360 G5 Server series. HP ProLiant DL Servers. Canada-English website. Mississauga, ON: Hewlett-Packard (Canada); 2008.
25. Jerant AF, Azari R, Nesbitt TS. Reducing the cost of frequent hospital admissions for congestive heart failure: A randomized trial of a home telecare intervention. Med Care. 2001;39:1234–1245.
26. Johnston B, Wheeler L, Deuser J, Sousa KH. Outcomes of the Kaiser Permanente Tele-Home Health Research Project. Arch Fam Med. 2000;9:40–45.
27. Laramee AS, Levinsky SK, Sargent J, Ross R, Callas P. Case management in a heterogeneous congestive heart failure population: A randomized controlled trial. Arch Intern Med. 2003;163:809–817.
28. Maiolo C, Mohamed EI, Fiorani CM, de Larenzo A. Home telemonitoring for patients with severe respiratory illness: The Italian experience. J Telemed Telecare. 2003;9:67–71.
29. Mair FS, Haycox A, Williams T. A review of telemedicine cost-effectiveness studies. J Telemed Telecare. 2000;6 (Suppl 1):S38-S40.
30. Mason JM, Young RJ, New JP, et al. Economic analysis of a telemedicine intervention to improve glycemic control in patients with diabetes mellitus: Illustration of a novel analytic method. Dis Manag Health Outcomes. 2006;14:377–385.
31. McIntosh E, Cairns J. A framework for the economic evaluation of telemedicine. J Telemed Telecare. 1997;3:132–139.
32. Myers S, Grant RW, Lugn NE, Holbert B, Kvedar JC. Impact of home-based monitoring on the care of patients with congestive heart failure. Home Health Care Manag Pract. 2006;18:444–451.
33. Nobel JJ, Norman GK. Emerging information management technologies and the future of disease management. Dis Manag. 2003;6:219–231.
34. Noel HC, Vogel DC. Resource costs and quality of life outcomes for homebound elderly using telemedicine integrated with nurse case management (Structured abstract). Care Manage. 2000;6:22–24.
35. Pare G, Sicotte C, St-Jules D, Gauthier R. Cost-minimization analysis of a telehomecare program for patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Telemed J E Health. 2006;12:114–121.
36. Patra J, Popova S, Rehm J, Bondy S, Flint R, Giesbrecht N. Economic cost of chronic disease in Canada: 1995–2003. Toronto: Ontario Public Health Association; 2007.
37. Quick Medical. Piko-1 electronic peak flow meter. Quick medical equipment and supplies. Snoqualmie, WA: Quick Medical; 2008.
38. Riegel B, Carlson B, Glaser D, Romero T. Randomized controlled trial of telephone case management in Hispanics of Mexican origin with heart failure. J Card Fail. 2006;12:211–219.
39. Riegel B, Carlson B, Kopp Z, LePetri B, Glaser D, Unger A. Effect of a standardized nurse case-management telephone intervention on resource use in patients with chronic heart failure. Arch Intern Med. 2002;162:705–712.
40. River Valley Health. An evaluation of the Telehomecare Demonstrator Project: EMPcare@home. Final Report. Fredericton, NB: River Valley Health; 2008.
41. Romanow RJ. Building on values: The future of health care in Canada. Final report. Saskatoon: Commission on the Future of Health Care in Canada; 2002.
42. Sanchez W, Harewood GC, Petersen BT. Evaluation of polyp detection in relation to procedure time of screening or surveillance colonoscopy. Am J Gastroenterol. 2004;99:1941–1945.
43. Southard BH, Southard DR, Nuckolls J. Clinical trial of an Internet-based case management system for secondary prevention of heart disease. J Cardiopulm Rehabil. 2003;23:341–348.
44. Vaccaro J, Cherry J, Harper A, O'Connell M. Utilization reduction, cost savings, and return on investment for the PacifiCare Chronic Heart Failure Program, “Taking Charge of Your Heart Health”. Dis Manag. 2001;4:131–138.
45. Whitten PS, Mair FS, Haycox A, May CR, Williams TL, Hellmich S. Systematic review of cost effectiveness studies of telemedicine interventions. BMJ. 2002;324:1434–1437.
46. World Health Organization. Diabetes: What is diabetes? Geneva: WHO; 2006.
47. World Health Organization. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Programmes and projects: Chronic respiratory diseases. Geneva: WHO; 2008.
48. World Health Organization. Facts related to chronic diseases. Geneva: WHO; 2008.