1. Benatar, D, Bondmass, M, Ghitelman, J, Avitall, B. Outcomes of chronic heart failure. Arch Intern Med. 2003;163:347–352.
2. Berger, RA. Mini-incision total hip replacement using an anterolateral approach: Technique and results. Orthop Clin North Am. 2004;35:143–151.
3. Biermann, E, Dietrich, W, Rihl, J, Standl, E. Are there time and cost savings by using telemanagement for patients on intensified insulin therapy? A randomised, controlled trial. Comput Methods Programs Biomed. 2002;69:137–146.
4. Bondmass, M, Bolger, N, Castro, G, Avitall, B. The effect of physiologic home monitoring and telemanagement on chronic heart failure outcomes. Internet J Adv Nurs Pract. 1999;3:17.
5. British Columbia Ministry of Health. Chronic disease management. Victoria: British Columbia Ministry of Health; 2007.
6. Bundkirchen, A, Schwinger, RHG. Epidemiology and economic burden of chronic heart failure. Eur Heart J Suppl. 2004;6:D57-D60.
7. Canada Health Infoway. Home telehealth business case report. Toronto: Canada Health Infoway; 2007.
8. Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health (CADTH). Guidelines for economic evaluation of health technologies. Ottawa, Canada: CADTH; 2006.
9. CDW Corporation. CDW Product Overview: Oracle Database 11g Standard Edition One. CDW-G: IT Products and Services for Government, Education and Healthcare. Vernon Hills, IL: CDW; 2008.
10. Chase, HP, Pearson, JA, Wightman, C, Roberts, MD, Oderberg, AD, Garg, SK. Modem transmission of glucose values reduces the costs and need for clinic visits. Diabetes Care. 2003;26:1475–1479.
11. Cherry, JC, Moffatt, TP, Rodriguez, C, Dryden, K. Diabetes disease management program for an indigent population empowered by telemedicine technology. Diabetes Technol Ther. 2002;4:783–791.
12. Dansky, KH, Palmer, L, Shea, D, Bowles, KH. Cost analysis of telehomecare. Telemed J E Health. 2001;7:225–232.
13. DeBusk, RF, Miller, NH, Parker, KM, et al. Care management for low-risk patients with heart failure: A randomized, controlled trial. Ann Intern Med. 2004;141:606–613.
14. Department of Health. Extra-mural program. St. John's, NB: Government of New Brunswick; 2008.
15. DeVol, R, Bedroussian, A. An unhealthy America: The economic burden of chronic disease. Santa Monica, CA: Milken Institute; 2007.
16. Drummond, MF, O'Brien, BJ, Stoddart, GL, Torrance, GW. Methods for the economic evaluation of health care programmes. 2nd ed. New York: Oxford University Press; 1997.
17. ECRI. Portable blood glucose monitors. Health Devices. 1994;23:62–99.
18. ECRI. Portable blood glucose monitors. Health Devices. 1997;26:338–394.
19. Farrero, E, Escarrabill, J, Prats, E, Maderal, M, Manresa, F. Impact of a hospital-based home-care program on the management of COPD patients receiving long-term oxygen therapy. Chest. 2001;119:364–369.
20. Galbreath, AD, Krasuski, RA, Smith, B, et al. Long-term healthcare and cost outcomes of disease management in a large, randomized, community-based population with heart failure. Circulation. 2004;110:3518–3526.
21. Hailey, D, Ohinmaa, A, Roine, R. Study quality and evidence of benefit in recent assessments of telemedicine. J Telemed Telecare. 2004;10:318–324.
22. HealthFrontier. Shopping cart: ecg@home. Branchburg, NJ: HealthFrontier; 2008.
23. Heidenreich, PA, Ruggerio, CM, Massie, BM. Effect of a home monitoring system on hospitalization and resource use for patients with heart failure. Am Heart J. 1999;138 (Pt 1):633–640.
24. Hewlett-Packard. HP ProLiant DL360 G5 Server series. HP ProLiant DL Servers. Canada-English website. Mississauga, ON: Hewlett-Packard (Canada); 2008.
25. Jerant, AF, Azari, R, Nesbitt, TS. Reducing the cost of frequent hospital admissions for congestive heart failure: A randomized trial of a home telecare intervention. Med Care. 2001;39:1234–1245.
26. Johnston, B, Wheeler, L, Deuser, J, Sousa, KH. Outcomes of the Kaiser Permanente Tele-Home Health Research Project. Arch Fam Med. 2000;9:40–45.
27. Laramee, AS, Levinsky, SK, Sargent, J, Ross, R, Callas, P. Case management in a heterogeneous congestive heart failure population: A randomized controlled trial. Arch Intern Med. 2003;163:809–817.
28. Maiolo, C, Mohamed, EI, Fiorani, CM, de Larenzo, A. Home telemonitoring for patients with severe respiratory illness: The Italian experience. J Telemed Telecare. 2003;9:67–71.
29. Mair, FS, Haycox, A, Williams, T. A review of telemedicine cost-effectiveness studies. J Telemed Telecare. 2000;6 (Suppl 1):S38-S40.
30. Mason, JM, Young, RJ, New, JP, et al. Economic analysis of a telemedicine intervention to improve glycemic control in patients with diabetes mellitus: Illustration of a novel analytic method. Dis Manag Health Outcomes. 2006;14:377–385.
31. McIntosh, E, Cairns, J. A framework for the economic evaluation of telemedicine. J Telemed Telecare. 1997;3:132–139.
32. Myers, S, Grant, RW, Lugn, NE, Holbert, B, Kvedar, JC. Impact of home-based monitoring on the care of patients with congestive heart failure. Home Health Care Manag Pract. 2006;18:444–451.
33. Nobel, JJ, Norman, GK. Emerging information management technologies and the future of disease management. Dis Manag. 2003;6:219–231.
34. Noel, HC, Vogel, DC. Resource costs and quality of life outcomes for homebound elderly using telemedicine integrated with nurse case management (Structured abstract). Care Manage. 2000;6:22–24.
35. Pare, G, Sicotte, C, St-Jules, D, Gauthier, R. Cost-minimization analysis of a telehomecare program for patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Telemed J E Health. 2006;12:114–121.
36. Patra, J, Popova, S, Rehm, J, Bondy, S, Flint, R, Giesbrecht, N. Economic cost of chronic disease in Canada: 1995–2003. Toronto: Ontario Public Health Association; 2007.
37. Quick Medical. Piko-1 electronic peak flow meter. Quick medical equipment and supplies. Snoqualmie, WA: Quick Medical; 2008.
38. Riegel, B, Carlson, B, Glaser, D, Romero, T. Randomized controlled trial of telephone case management in Hispanics of Mexican origin with heart failure. J Card Fail. 2006;12:211–219.
39. Riegel, B, Carlson, B, Kopp, Z, LePetri, B, Glaser, D, Unger, A. Effect of a standardized nurse case-management telephone intervention on resource use in patients with chronic heart failure. Arch Intern Med. 2002;162:705–712.
40. River Valley Health. An evaluation of the Telehomecare Demonstrator Project: EMPcare@home. Final Report. Fredericton, NB: River Valley Health; 2008.
41. Romanow, RJ. Building on values: The future of health care in Canada. Final report. Saskatoon: Commission on the Future of Health Care in Canada; 2002.
42. Sanchez, W, Harewood, GC, Petersen, BT. Evaluation of polyp detection in relation to procedure time of screening or surveillance colonoscopy. Am J Gastroenterol. 2004;99:1941–1945.
43. Southard, BH, Southard, DR, Nuckolls, J. Clinical trial of an Internet-based case management system for secondary prevention of heart disease. J Cardiopulm Rehabil. 2003;23:341–348.
44. Vaccaro, J, Cherry, J, Harper, A, O'Connell, M. Utilization reduction, cost savings, and return on investment for the PacifiCare Chronic Heart Failure Program, “Taking Charge of Your Heart Health”. Dis Manag. 2001;4:131–138.
45. Whitten, PS, Mair, FS, Haycox, A, May, CR, Williams, TL, Hellmich, S. Systematic review of cost effectiveness studies of telemedicine interventions. BMJ. 2002;324:1434–1437.
46. World Health Organization. Diabetes: What is diabetes? Geneva: WHO; 2006.
47. World Health Organization. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Programmes and projects: Chronic respiratory diseases. Geneva: WHO; 2008.
48. World Health Organization. Facts related to chronic diseases. Geneva: WHO; 2008.