This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. PJ Morgane , R Austin-La France , J Bronzino , et al. Prenatal malnutrition and development of the brain. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 1993; 17, 91–128.
2. DI Boomsma , CEM van Beijsterveldt , MJH Rietveld , M Bartels , GC van Baal . Genetics mediate relation of birth weight to childhood IQ. Br Med J. 2001; 323, 1426–1427.
7. M Richards , R Hardy , D Kuh , ME Wadsworth . Birthweight, postnatal growth and cognitive function in a national UK birth cohort. Int J Epidemiol. 2002; 31, 342–348.
8. GC Løhaugen , A Gramstad , KA Evensen , et al. Cognitive profile in young adults born preterm at very low birthweight. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2010; 52, 1133–1138.
9. S Strang-Karlsson , S Andersson , M Paile-Hyvärinen , et al. Slower reaction times and impaired learning in young adults with birth weight <1500 g. Pediatrics. 2010; 125, e74–e82.
10. R Pyhälä , J Lahti , K Heinonen , et al. Neurocognitive abilities in young adults with very low birth weight. Neurology. 2011; 77, 2052–2060.
11. SD Shenkin , JM Starr , IJ Deary . Birth weight and cognitive ability in childhood: a systematic review. Psychol Bull. 2004; 130, 989–1030.
13. BF Broekman , YH Chan , YS Chong , et al. The influence of birth size on intelligence in healthy children. Pediatrics. 2009; 123, e1011–e1016.
14. W Eriksen , JM Sundet , K Tambs . Birth weight standardized to gestational age and intelligence in young adulthood: a register-based birth cohort study of male siblings. Am J Epidemiol. 2010; 172, 530–536.
15. K Erickson , D Kritz-Silverstein , DL Wingard , E Barrett-Connor . Birth weight and cognitive performance in older women: the Rancho Bernardo study. Arch Womens Ment Health. 2010; 13, 141–146.
16. SD Shenkin , JM Starr , A Pattie , et al. Birth weight and cognitive function at age 11 years: The Scottish Mental Survey 1932. Arch Dis Child. 2001; 85, 189–197.
17. MS Pearce , IJ Deary , AH Young , L Parker . Growth in early life and childhood IQ at age 11 years: the Newcastle Thousand Families Study. Int J Epidemiol. 2005; 34, 673–677.
18. AJ Costa , PL Kale , RR Luiz , et al. Association between birthweight and cognitive function in middle age: the atherosclerosis risk in communities study. Ann Epidemiol. 2011; 21, 851–856.
20. JM Starr , A Kilgour , A Pattie , et al. Height and intelligence in the Lothian Birth Cohort 1921: a longitudinal study. Age Ageing. 2010; 39, 272–275.
26. SM Sayers , D Mackerras , G Singh , et al. An Australian aboriginal birth cohort: a unique resource for a life course study of an Indigenous population. A study protocol. BMC Int Health Hum Rights. 2003; 3, 1.
29. S Sayers , D Mackerras , S Halpin , G Singh . Growth outcomes for Australian Aboriginal children aged 11 years who were born with intrauterine growth retardation at term gestation. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2007; 21, 411–417.
31. S Cairney , P Maruff . Computerised tests of brain function for use with Indigenous people. In Information Technology and Indigenous People (eds. Dyson LE, Hendriks M, Grant S), 2007; pp. 257–259. Information Science Publishing: London.
33. H Keller , BV Ayub , S Saigal , O Bar-Or . Neuromotor ability in 5- to 7-year-old children with very low or extremely low birthweight. Dev Med Child Neurol. 1998; 40, 661–666.
34. K Somerfelt , HW Andersson , K Sonnander , et al. Cognitive development of term small for gestational age children at five years of age. Arch Dis Child. 2000; 83, 25–30.
35. BJ Jefferis , C Power , C Hertzman . Birth weight, childhood socioeconomic environment, and cognitive development in the 1958 British birth cohort study. Br Med J. 2002; 325, 305–310.