This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. T Schettler . Human exposure to phthalates via consumer products. Int J Androl. 2006; 29, 134–139.
2. M Wormut . What are the sources of exposure to eight frequently used phthalic esters in Europeans? Risk Anal. 2006; 26, 803–824.
3. JA Hoppin , JW Brock , BJ Davis , DD Baird . Reproducibility of urinary phthalate metabolites in first morning urine samples. Environ Health Perspect. 2002; 110, 515–518.
4. R Hauser , JD Meeker , S Park , MJ Silva , AM Calafat . Temporal variability of urinary phthalate metabolite levels in men of reproductive age. Environ Health Perspect. 2004; 112, 1734–1740.
5. SL Teitelbaum , JA Britton , AM Calafat , et al. Temporal variability in urinary concentrations of phthalate metabolites, phytoestrogens and phenols among minority children in the United States. Environ Res. 2008; 106, 257–269.
6. N Masutomi , M Shibutani , H Takagi , et al. Impact of dietary exposure to methoxychlor, genistein, or diisononyl phthalate during the perinatal period on the development of the rat endocrine/reproductive systems in later life. Toxicology. 2002; 192, 149–170.
7. LG Parks , JS Ostby , CR Lambright , et al. The plasticizer diethylhexyl phthalate induces malformations by decreasing fetal testosterone synthesis during sexual differentiation in the male rat. Toxicol Sci. 2000; 58, 339–349.
8. M Ema , E Miyawaki . Adverse effects on development of the reproductive system in male offspring of rats given monobutyl phthalate, a metabolite of dibutyl phthalate during late pregnancy. Reprod Toxicol. 2001; 15, 189–194.
9. TJB Gray , JA Beamand . Effect of some phthalate esters and other testicular toxins on primary cultures of testicular cells. Food Chem Toxicol. 1984; 22, 123–131.
11. SH Swan , KM Main , F Liu , et al. Decrease in anogenital distance among male infants with prenatal phthalate exposure. Environ Health Perspect. 2005; 113, 1056–1061.
12. SH Swan . Environmental phthalate exposure in relation to reproductive outcomes and other health endpoints in humans. Environ Res. 2008; 108, 177–184.
13. Y Suzuki , J Yoshinaga , Y Mizumoto , S Serizawa , H Shiraishi . Foetal exposure to phthalate esters and anogenital distance in male newborns. Intl J Androl. 2012; 35, 236–244.
14. PC Huang , PL Kuo , YY Chou , SJ Lin , CC Lee . Association between prenatal exposure to phthalates and the health of newborns. Environ Int. 2009; 35, 14–20.
15. E Salazar-Martínez , P Romano-Riquer , E Yáñez-Márquez , MP Longnecker , M Hernandez-Avila . Anogenital distance in human male and female newborns: a descriptive, cross-sectional study. Environ Health. 2005; 3, 8–13.
16. H Capurro , S Konichezky , D Fonseca , R Caldeyro-Barcia . A simplified method for diagnosis of gestational age in the newborn infant. J Pediatr. 1978; 93, 120–122.
18. BC Blount , KE Milgram , MJ Silva , et al. Quantitative detection of eight phthalate metabolites in human urine using HPLC-APCI-MS/MS. Anal Chem. 2000; 72, 4127–4134.
20. JJ Adibi , RM Whyatt , LW Paige , et al. Characterization of phthalate exposure among pregnant women assessed by repeat air and urine samples. Environ Health Perspect. 2008; 116, 467–473.
21. K Svensson , RU Hernández-Ramírez , A Burguete-García , et al. Phthalate exposure associated with self-reported diabetes among Mexican women. Environ Res. 2011; 111, 792–796.
22. M Romero-Franco , RU Hernández-Ramírez , AM Calafat , et al. Personal care product use and urinary levels of phthalate metabolites in Mexican women. Environ Int. 2011; 37, 867–871.
23. SP Romano-Riquer , M Hernández-Ávila , BC Gladen , LA Cupul-Uicab , MP Longnecker . Reliability and determinants of anogenital distance and penis dimensions in male newborns from Chiapas, Mexico. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2007; 21, 219–228.
24. TF Fok , KL Hon , HK So , et al. The Hong Kong Neonatal Measurements Working Group. Normative data of penile length for term Chinese newborns. Biol Neonate. 2005; 87, 242–245.
29. K Fujieda , N Matsuura . Growth and maturation in male genitalia from birth to adolescence II. Change of penile length. Pediatr Int. 1987; 29, 220–223.
31. H Anhalt , EK Neely , RL Hintz . Ambiguous genitalia. Pediatr Rev. 1996; 17, 213–220.
32. J Mendiola , RW Stahlnut , N Jorgensen , F Liu , SH Swan . Shorter anogenital distance predicts poorer semen quality in young men in Rochester, New York. Environ Health Pers. 2011; 119, 958–963.
33. CJ Bowman , NJ Barlow , KJ Turner , DG Wallace , PMD Foster . Effects of in utero exposure to finasteride on androgen-dependent reproductive development in the male rats. Toxicol Sci. 2003; 74, 393–406.
34. RS Ge , GR Chen , C Tanrikut , MP Hardy . Phthalate ester toxicity in Leydig cells: developmental timing and dosage considerations. Reprod Toxicol. 2007; 23, 366–373.
36. M Welsh , PTK Saunders , M Fisken , et al. Identification in rats of a programming window for reproductive tract masculinization, disruption of which leads to hypospadias and cryptorchidism. J Clin Invest. 2008; 118, 1479–1490.