This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. K Kleinhaus , S Harlap , M Perrin , et al. Prenatal stress and affective disorders in a population birth cohort. Bipolar Disord. 2013; 15, 92–99.
2. AC Huizink , PG Robles de Medina , EJ Mulder , GH Visser , JK Buitelaar . Stress during pregnancy is associated with developmental outcome in infancy. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2003; 44, 810–818.
7. S Morley-Fletcher , J Mairesse , A Soumier , et al. Chronic agomelatine treatment corrects behavioral, cellular, and biochemical abnormalities induced by prenatal stress in rats. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2011; 217, 301–313.
11. JA Markham , AR Taylor , SB Taylor , DB Bell , JI Koenig . Characterization of the cognitive impairments induced by prenatal exposure to stress in the rat. Front Behav Neurosci. 2010; 4, 173.
14. A Armario . The hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis: what can it tell us about stressors? CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets. 2006; 5, 485–501.
15. N Daviu , C Rabasa , R Nadal , A Armario . Comparison of the effects of single and daily repeated immobilization stress on resting activity and heterotypic sensitization of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis. Stress. 2014; 17, 176–185.
18. M Weinstock . Gender differences in the effects of prenatal stress on brain development and behaviour. Neurochem Res. 2007; 32, 1730–1740.
19. M Darnaudery , S Maccari . Epigenetic programming of the stress response in male and female rats by prenatal restraint stress. Brain Res Rev. 2008; 57, 571–585.
20. S Baker , C Bielajew . Influence of housing on the consequences of chronic mild stress in female rats. Stress. 2007; 10, 283–293.
21. PS Brocardo , F Boehme , AR Patten , et al. Anxiety- and depression-like behaviors are accompanied by an increase in oxidative stress in a rat model of fetal alcohol spectrum disorders: protective effects of voluntary physical exercise. Neuropharmacology. 2012; 62, 1607–1608.
23. AA Walf , CA Frye . The use of the elevated plus maze as an assay of anxiety-related behavior in rodents. Nat Protoc. 2007; 2, 322–328.
24. MJ Detke , M Rickels , I Lucki . Active behaviors in the rat forced swimming test differentially produced by serotonergic and noradrenergic antidepressants. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 1995; 121, 66–72.
25. F Borsini , A Meli . Is the forced swimming test a suitable model for revealing antidepressant activity? Psychopharmacology (Berl). 1988; 94, 147–160.
26. C Bielajew , ATM Konkle , AC Kentner , et al. Strain and gender specific effects in the forced swim test: effects of previous stress exposure. Stress. 2003; 6, 269–280.
27. T Szuran , E Zimmerman , V Pliska , HP Pfister , H Welzl . Prenatal stress effects on exploratory activity and stress-induced analgesia in rats. Dev Psychobiol. 1991; 24, 361–372.
30. A Guo , RE Nappi , M Criscuolo , et al. Effect of chronic intermittent stress on rat pregnancy and postnatal development. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 1993; 51, 41–45.
31. MA Berger , VG Barros , MI Sarchi , FI Tarazi , MC Antonelli . Long-term effects of prenatal stress on dopamine and glutamate recptors in the adult rat brain. Neurochem Res. 2002; 27, 1525–1533.
34. AC Volker , JHM Tulen , WW Van den Broek , et al. Motor activity and autonomic cardiac functioning in major depressive disorder. J Affective Dis. 2003; 76, 23–30.
35. DT Fullerton , FJ Wenzel , FN Lohrenz , H Fahs . Circadian rhythm of adrenal cortical activity in depression. I. A comparison of depressed patients with normal subjects. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1968; 19, 674–681.
36. N Tsuno , A Besset , K Ritchie . Sleep and depression. J Clin Psychiatry. 2005; 66, 1254–1269.
37. AS Urrila , L Karlsson , O Kiviruusu , et al. Sleep complaints among adolescent outpatients with major depressive disorder. Sleep Med. 2012; 13, 816–823.
40. H Abe , N Hidaka , C Kawagoe , et al. Prenatal psychological stress causes higher emotionality, depression-like behavior, and elevated activity in the hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal axis. Neurosci Res. 2007; 59, 145–151.
41. E Fride , Y Dan , J Feldon , G Halevy , M Weinstock . Effects of prenatal stress on vulnerability to stress in prepubertal and adult rats. Physiol Behav. 1986; 37, 681–687.
43. Y Huang , S Chen , H Xu , et al. Pre-gestational stress alters stress-response of pubertal offspring rat in sexually dimorphic and hemispherically asymmetric manner. BMC Neurosci. 2013; 14, 67.
44. N Mendez , L Abarzua-Catalan , N Vilches , et al. Timed maternal melatonin treatment reverses circadian disruption of the fetal adrenal clock imposed by exposure to constant light. PLoS One. 2012; 7, e42713.
46. TE Moffitt , H Harrington , A Caspi , et al. Depression and generalized anxiety disorder: cumulative and sequential comorbidity in a birth cohort followed prospectively to age 32 years. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2007; 64, 651–660.
47. A Wakshlak , M Weinstock . Neonatal handling reverses behavioral abnormalities induced in rats by prenatal stress. Physiol Behav. 1990; 48, 289–292.
48. L Guan , N Jia , X Zhao , et al. The involvement of ERK/CREB/Bcl-2 in depression-like behavior in prenatally stressed offspring rats. Brain Res Bull. 2013; 99, 1–8.
49. IQ Whishaw , OA Gharbawie , BJ Clark , H Lehmann . The exploratory behavior of rats in an open environment optimizes security. Behav Brain Res. 2006; 171, 230–239.
50. VG Barros , P Rodriguez , ID Martijena , et al. Prenatal stress and early adoption effects on benzodiazepine receptors and anxiogenic behavior in the adult rat brain. Synapse. 2006; 60, 609–618.
54. A Russel . Relationships between exploratory behavior and fear: a review. Br J Psychol. 1973; 64, 417–433.
55. JC Joshi , A Ray , K Gulati . Differential modulatory effects of morphine on acute and chronic stress induced neurobehavioral and cellular markers in rats. Eur J Pharmacol. 2014; 729, 17–21.
57. RD Porsolt , PM Le , M Jalfre . Depression: a new animal model sensitive to antidepressant treatments. Nature. 1977; 266, 730–732.
58. Y Kitada , T Miyauchi , A Satoh , S Satoh . Effects of antidepressants in the rats forced swimming test. Eur J Pharmacol. 1981; 72, 145–152.
61. DL Van den Hove , G Kenis , A Brass , et al. Vulnerability versus resilience to prenatal stress in male and female rats; implications from gene expression profiles in the hippocampus and frontal cortex. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2013; 23, 1226–1246.