This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. SC Tough , DW Johnston , JE Siever , et al. Does supplementary prenatal nursing and home visitation support improve resource use in a universal health care system? A randomized controlled trial in Canada. Birth. 2006; 33, 183–194.
3. DG Moore , JD Turner , AC Parrott , et al. During pregnancy, recreational drug-using women stop taking ecstasy (3,4-methylenedioxy-N-methylamphetamine) and reduce alcohol consumption, but continue to smoke tobacco and cannabis: initial findings from the development and infancy study. J Psychopharmacol. 2010; 24, 1403–1410.
4. SM Pinto , S Dodd , SA Walkinshaw , et al. Substance abuse during pregnancy: effect on pregnancy outcomes. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2010; 150, 137–141.
5. JJ Kelly , PG Davis , PN Henschke . The drug epidemic: effects on newborn infants and health resource consumption at a tertiary perinatal centre. J Paediatr Child Health. 2000; 36, 262–264.
6. ES Bandstra , CE Morrow , E Mansoor , VH Accornero . Prenatal drug exposure: infant and toddler outcomes. J Addict Dis. 2010; 29, 245–258.
8. BM Lester , EZ Tronick , L Lagasse , et al. The maternal lifestyle study: effects of substance exposure during pregnancy on neurodevelopmental outcome in 1-month-old infants. Pediatrics. 2002; 110, 1182–1192.
9. CE Morrow , ES Bandstra , JC Anthony , et al. Influence of prenatal cocaine exposure on early language development: longitudinal findings from four months to three years of age. J Dev Behav Pediatr. 2003; 24, 39–50.
10. AL Salisbury , KL Ponder , JF Padbury , BM Lester . Fetal effects of psychoactive drugs. Clin Perinatol. 2009; 36, 595–619.
11. PA Fried , B Watkinson , R Gray . Differential effects on cognitive functioning in 13- to 16-year-olds prenatally exposed to cigarettes and marijuana. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2003; 25, 427–436.
12. L Goldschmidt , NL Day , GA Richardson . Effects of prenatal marijuana exposure on child behavior problems at age 10. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2000; 22, 325–336.
13. NA Conners , RH Bradley , LW Mansell , et al. Children of mothers with serious substance abuse problems: an accumulation of risks. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse. 2004; 30, 85–100.
14. D Schaubel , H Johansen , M Dutta , et al. Neonatal characteristics as risk factors for preschool asthma. J Asthma. 1996; 33, 255–264.
61. BM Lester , LL LaGasse . Children of addicted women. J Addict Dis. 2010; 29, 259–276.
16. JL Karlix , M Behnke , F vis-Eyler , et al. Cocaine suppresses fetal immune system. Pediatr Res. 1998; 44, 43–46.
17. S Basu , BN Dittel . Unraveling the complexities of cannabinoid receptor 2 (CB2) immune regulation in health and disease. Immunol Res. 2011; 51, 26–38.
18. E Fride . Multiple roles for the endocannabinoid system during the earliest stages of life: pre- and postnatal development. J Neuroendocrinol. 2008; 20(Suppl 1), 75–81.
62. MP Viveros , EM Marco , M Lopez-Gallardo , LM Garcia-Segura , EJ Wagner . Framework for sex differences in adolescent neurobiology: a focus on cannabinoids. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2011; 35, 1740–1751.
21. LA Simmons , JR Havens , JB Whiting , JL Holz , H Bada . Illicit drug use among women with children in the United States: 2002–2003. Ann Epidemiol. 2009; 19, 187–193.
22. RJ Wright . Prenatal maternal stress and early caregiving experiences: implications for childhood asthma risk. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2007; 21(S3), 8–14.
23. E Leung , SL Tasker , L Atkinson , et al. Perceived maternal stress during pregnancy and its relation to infant stress reactivity at 2 days and 10 months of postnatal life. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2010; 49, 158–165.
24. RA Wood , GR Bloomberg , M Kattan , et al. Relationships among environmental exposures, cord blood cytokine responses, allergy, and wheeze at 1 year of age in an inner-city birth cohort (Urban Environment and Childhood Asthma study). J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2011; 127, 913–919.
25. RJ Wright . Perinatal stress and early life programming of lung structure and function. Biol Psychol. 2010; 84, 46–56.
26. M Pajulo , E Savonlahti , A Sourander , H Helenius , J Piha . Antenatal depression, substance dependency and social support. J Affect Disord. 2001; 65, 9–17.
27. AL Salisbury , BM Lester , R Seifer , et al. Prenatal cocaine use and maternal depression: effects on infant neurobehavior. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2007; 29, 331–340.
28. VL Clifton . Review: sex and the human placenta: mediating differential strategies of fetal growth and survival. Placenta. 2010; 31(Suppl), S33–S39.
29. E Kajantie , DI Phillips . The effects of sex and hormonal status on the physiological response to acute psychosocial stress. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2006; 31, 151–178.
30. AW Funkhouser , AM Butz , TI Feng , ME McCaul , BJ Rosenstein . Prenatal care and drug use in pregnant women. Drug Alcohol Depend. 1993; 33, 1–9.
31. SH Heil , HE Jones , A Arria , et al. Unintended pregnancy in opioid-abusing women. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2011; 40, 199–202.
32. JS Holtrop , C Meghea , JE Raffo , et al. Smoking among pregnant women with Medicaid insurance: are mental health factors related? Matern Child Health J. 2010; 14, 971–977.
33. AC Erickson , LT Arbour . Heavy smoking during pregnancy as a marker for other risk factors of adverse birth outcomes: a population-based study in British Columbia, Canada. BMC Public Health. 2012; 12, 102.
34. SC Tough , JE Siever , S Leew , et al. Maternal mental health predicts risk of developmental problems at 3 years of age: follow up of a community based trial. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth. 2008; 8, 16.
36. LW Doyle , PJ Anderson . Pulmonary and neurological follow-up of extremely preterm infants. Neonatology. 2010; 97, 388–394.
37. FD Martinez , AL Wright , LM Taussig , et al. Asthma and wheezing in the first six years of life. The Group Health Medical Associates. N Engl J Med. 1995; 332, 133–138.
38. S Saglani , A Bush . Asthma in preschool children: the next challenge. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol. 2009; 9, 141–145.
39. CE Kuehni , A Davis , AM Brooke , M Silverman . Are all wheezing disorders in very young (preschool) children increasing in prevalence? Lancet. 2001; 357, 1821–1825.
40. JA Castro-Rodriguez , CJ Holberg , AL Wright , FD Martinez . A clinical index to define risk of asthma in young children with recurrent wheezing. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2000; 162(Pt 1), 1403–1406.
41. RJ Wright , S Cohen , V Carey , ST Weiss , DR Gold . Parental stress as a predictor of wheezing in infancy: a prospective birth-cohort study. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2002; 165, 358–365.
42. WK Midodzi , BH Rowe , CM Majaesic , LD Saunders , A Senthilselvan . Early life factors associated with incidence of physician-diagnosed asthma in preschool children: results from the Canadian early childhood development cohort study. J Asthma. 2010; 47, 7–13.
43. R Alati , MA Al , M O'Callaghan , JM Najman , GM Williams . In utero and postnatal maternal smoking and asthma in adolescence. Epidemiology. 2006; 17, 138–144.
44. E Lannero , M Wickman , G Pershagen , L Nordvall . Maternal smoking during pregnancy increases the risk of recurrent wheezing during the first years of life (BAMSE). Respir Res. 2006; 7, 3.
45. JJ Jaakkola , P Ahmed , A Ieromnimon , et al. Preterm delivery and asthma: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2006; 118, 823–830.
47. AL Kozyrskyj , GE Kendall , P Jacoby , PD Sly , SR Zubrick . Association between socioeconomic status and the development of asthma: analyses of income trajectories. Am J Public Health. 2010; 100, 540–546.
49. AL Kozyrskyj , XM Mai , P McGrath , et al. Continued exposure to maternal distress in early life is associated with an increased risk of childhood asthma. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2008; 177, 142–147.
50. H Cookson , R Granell , C Joinson , Y Ben-Shlomo , AJ Henderson . Mothers’ anxiety during pregnancy is associated with asthma in their children. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2009; 123, 847–853.
51. CA Liu , CL Wang , H Chuang , et al. Prenatal prediction of infant atopy by maternal but not paternal total IgE levels. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2003; 112, 899–904.
52. JR Seckl , MC Holmes . Mechanisms of disease: glucocorticoids, their placental metabolism and fetal ‘programming’ of adult pathophysiology. Nat Clin Pract Endocrinol Metab. 2007; 3, 479–488.
54. E Patelarou , M Chochlidaki , V Vivilaki , H Brokalaki . Is there a link between wheezing in early childhood and adverse birth outcomes? A systematic review. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2009; 6, 2752–2761.
55. M Erkkola , M Kaila , BI Nwaru , et al. Maternal vitamin D intake during pregnancy is inversely associated with asthma and allergic rhinitis in 5-year-old children. Clin Exp Allergy. 2009; 39, 875–882.
57. M Daley , DS Shepard , D Bury-Maynard . Changes in quality of life for pregnant women in substance user treatment: developing a quality of life index for the addictions. Subst Use Misuse. 2005; 40, 375–394.
58. CE Grella . Services for perinatal women with substance abuse and mental health disorders: the unmet need. J Psychoactive Drugs. 1997; 29, 67–78.
59. E Chen , AD Martin , KA Matthews . Understanding health disparities: the role of race and socioeconomic status in children's health. Am J Public Health. 2006; 96, 702–708.
63. D Dow-Edwards . Sex differences in the effects of cocaine abuse across the life span. Physiol Behav. 2010; 100, 208–215.
64. AJ Lowe , JB Carlin , CM Bennett , et al. Do boys do the atopic march while girls dawdle? J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2008; 121, 1190–1195.
65. MR Becklake , F Kauffmann . Gender differences in airway behaviour over the human life span. Thorax. 1999; 54, 1119–1138.
66. BM Lester , JF Padbury . Third pathophysiology of prenatal cocaine exposure. Dev Neurosci. 2009; 31, 23–35.
67. V Trezza , V Cuomo , LJ Vanderschuren . Cannabis and the developing brain: insights from behavior. Eur J Pharmacol. 2008; 585, 441–452.
68. RW Bavis , GS Mitchell . Long-term effects of the perinatal environment on respiratory control. J Appl Physiol. 2008; 104, 1220–1229.
71. SC Tough , JD Siever , DW Johnston . Retaining women in a prenatal care randomized controlled trial in Canada: implications for program planning. BMC Public Health. 2007; 7, 148.
72. JW Holloway , IA Yang , ST Holgate . Genetics of allergic disease. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2010; 125(Suppl 2), S81–S94.
73. P Najt , P Fusar-Poly , P Brambilla . Co-occurring mental and substance abuse disorders: a review on the potential predictors and clinical outcomes. Psychiatry Res. 2010; 186, 159–164.
74. KM Kuczkowski . The effects of drug abuse on pregnancy. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2007; 19, 578–585.
75. CI Vardavas , L Chatzi , E Patelarou , et al. Smoking and smoking cessation during early pregnancy and its effect on adverse pregnancy outcomes and fetal growth. Eur J Pediatr. 2010; 169, 741–748.