This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. M. van Aartrijk & H. J. H. Clercx 2010 Vertical dispersion of light inertial particles in stably stratified turbulence: the influence of the Basset force. Phys. Fluids 22 (1), 013301.
2. G. P. Alexander & J. M. Yeomans 2010 Hydrodynamic interactions at low Reynolds number. Exp. Mech. 50 (9), 1283–1292.
4. A. M. Ardekani & R. H. Rangel 2006 Unsteady motion of two solid spheres in Stokes flow. Phys. Fluids 18, 103306.
5. L. Arminski & S. Weinbaum 1979 Effect of waveform and duration of impulse on the solution to the Basset–Langevin equation. Phys. Fluids 22 (3), 404–411.
11. T. L. Daniel 1984 Unsteady aspects of aquatic locomotion. Am. Zool. 24, 121–134.
12. A. Doostmohammadi , R. Stocker & A. M. Ardekani 2012 Swimming at pycnoclines. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 109, 3856–3861.
13. K. Drescher , K. Leptos , I. Tuval , T. Ishikawa , T. J. Pedley & R. E. Goldstein 2009 Dancing volvox: hydrodynamic bound states of swimming algae. Phys. Rev. Lett. 102 (16), 168101.
15. D. Giacché & T. Ishikawa 2010 Hydrodynamic interaction of two unsteady model microorganisms. J. Theor. Biol. 267 (2), 252–263.
16. J. S. Guasto , K. A. Johnson & J. P. Gollub 2010 Oscillatory flows induced by microorganisms swimming in two dimensions. Phys. Rev. Lett. 105 (18), 168102.
17. A. Hamel , C. Fisch , L. Combettes , P. Dupuis-Williams & C. N. Baroud 2011 Transitions between three swimming gaits in Paramecium escape. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 108, 7290–7295.
19. H. Jakobsen 2001 Escape response of planktonic protists to fluid mechanical signals. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 214, 67–78.
20. H. Jiang & T. Kiørboe 2011 The fluid dynamics of swimming by jumping in copepods. J. R. Soc. Interface 8, 1090–1103.
21. E. Lauga 2011 Emergency cell swimming. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 108, 7655–7656.
22. M. J. Lighthill 1952 On the squirming motion of nearly spherical deformable bodies through liquids at very small Reynolds numbers. Commun. Pure Appl. Maths 5, 109–118.
26. M. R. Maxey & J. J. Riley 1983 Equation of motion for a small rigid sphere in a non-uniform flow. Phys. Fluids 26 (4), 883–889.
28. A. Najafi & R. Golestanian 2004 Simple swimmer at low Reynolds number: three linked spheres. Phys. Rev. E 69 (6, Part 1), 062901.
30. C. M. Pooley , G. P. Alexander & J. M. Yeomans 2007 Hydrodynamic interaction between two swimmers at low Reynolds number. Phys. Rev. Lett. 99 (22).
31. E. M. Purcell 1977 Life at low Reynolds number. Am. J. Phys. 45, 3–11.
32. H. A. Stone & A. D. T. Samuel 1996 Propulsion of microorganisms by surface distortions. Phys. Rev. Lett. 77 (19), 4102–4104.
33. L. Zhu , M. Do-Quang , E. Lauga & L. Brandt 2011 Locomotion by tangential deformation in a polymeric fluid. Phys. Rev. E 83 (1), 011901.