- Cited by 24
Erturun, Veysel and Karamış, Mehmet Baki 2017. The effects of a reciprocating extrusion process on the friction and wear behaviors of AA 6061/SiC composites. Journal of Materials Research, Vol. 31, Issue. 03, p. 388.
Zheng, Z.J. Gao, Y. Liu, J.W. and Zhu, M. 2017. A hybrid refining mechanism of microstructure of 304 stainless steel subjected to ECAP at 500°C. Materials Science and Engineering: A, Vol. 639, p. 615.
Eskandari, M. Zarei-Hanzaki, A. Szpunar, J.A. Mohtadi-Bonab, M.A. Kamali, A.R. and Nazarian-Samani, M. 2017. Microstructure evolution and mechanical behavior of a new microalloyed high Mn austenitic steel during compressive deformation. Materials Science and Engineering: A, Vol. 615, p. 424.
Sajadifar, Seyed Vahid and Yapici, Guney Guven 2017. Elevated Temperature Mechanical Behavior of Severely Deformed Titanium. Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, Vol. 23, Issue. 5, p. 1834.
Sajadifar, Seyed Vahid and Yapici, Guney Guven 2017. Workability characteristics and mechanical behavior modeling of severely deformed pure titanium at high temperatures. Materials & Design, Vol. 53, p. 749.
Stinville, J.C. Cormier, J. Templier, C. and Villechaise, P. 2017. Monotonic mechanical properties of plasma nitrided 316L polycrystalline austenitic stainless steel: Mechanical behaviour of the nitrided layer and impact of nitriding residual stresses. Materials Science and Engineering: A, Vol. 605, p. 51.
Chui, Pengfei Jun, Ouyang Liu, Yi Liang, Yanjie Li, Yang Fan, Suhua and Sun, Kangning 2017. Effect of a nanostructured surface layer on the tensile properties of 316L stainless steel. Journal of Materials Research, Vol. 28, Issue. 10, p. 1311.
Niendorf, T. Böhner, A. Höppel, H.W. Göken, M. Valiev, R.Z. and Maier, H.J. 2017. Comparison of the monotonic and cyclic mechanical properties of ultrafine-grained low carbon steels processed by continuous and conventional equal channel angular pressing. Materials & Design, Vol. 47, p. 138.
Zheng, Z.J. Gao, Y. Gui, Y. and Zhu, M. 2017. Corrosion behaviour of nanocrystalline 304 stainless steel prepared by equal channel angular pressing. Corrosion Science, Vol. 54, p. 60.
Chen, A.Y. Ruan, H.H. Wang, J. Chan, H.L. Wang, Q. Li, Q. and Lu, J. 2017. The influence of strain rate on the microstructure transition of 304 stainless steel. Acta Materialia, Vol. 59, Issue. 9, p. 3697.
Ueno, H. Kakihata, K. Kaneko, Y. Hashimoto, S. and Vinogradov, A. 2017. Nanostructurization assisted by twinning during equal channel angular pressing of metastable 316L stainless steel. Journal of Materials Science, Vol. 46, Issue. 12, p. 4276.
An, Xianghai Lin, Qingyun Qu, Shen Yang, Gang Wu, Shiding and Zhang, Zhe-Feng 2017. Influence of stacking-fault energy on the accommodation of severe shear strain in Cu-Al alloys during equal-channel angular pressing. Journal of Materials Research, Vol. 24, Issue. 12, p. 3636.
Beyerlein, Irene J. and Tóth, László S. 2017. Texture evolution in equal-channel angular extrusion. Progress in Materials Science, Vol. 54, Issue. 4, p. 427.
Yapici, G.G. and Karaman, I. 2017. Common trends in texture evolution of ultra-fine-grained hcp materials during equal channel angular extrusion. Materials Science and Engineering: A, Vol. 503, Issue. 1-2, p. 78.
Zhu, Xiangqun Zhou, Ming Dai, Qixun and Cheng, Gary J. 2017. Deformation Modes in Stainless Steel During Laser Shock Peening. Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol. 131, Issue. 5, p. 054503.
Huang, C.X. Yang, G. Gao, Y.L. Wu, S.D. and Zhang, Z.F. 2017. Influence of processing temperature on the microstructures and tensile properties of 304L stainless steel by ECAP. Materials Science and Engineering: A, Vol. 485, Issue. 1-2, p. 643.
Qu, S. Huang, C.X. Gao, Y.L. Yang, G. Wu, S.D. Zang, Q.S. and Zhang, Z.F. 2017. Tensile and compressive properties of AISI 304L stainless steel subjected to equal channel angular pressing. Materials Science and Engineering: A, Vol. 475, Issue. 1-2, p. 207.
Karaman, I. Haouaoui, M. and Maier, H. J. 2017. Nanoparticle consolidation using equal channel angular extrusion at room temperature. Journal of Materials Science, Vol. 42, Issue. 5, p. 1561.
Huang, C.X. Gao, Y.L. Yang, G. Wu, S.D. Li, G.Y. and Li, S.X. 2017. Bulk nanocrystalline stainless steel fabricated by equal channel angular pressing. Journal of Materials Research, Vol. 21, Issue. 07, p. 1687.
Yapici, Guney Guven Karaman, Ibrahim and Luo, Zhi-Ping 2017. Mechanical twinning and texture evolution in severely deformed Ti–6Al–4V at high temperatures. Acta Materialia, Vol. 54, Issue. 14, p. 3755.
Check if you have access via personal or institutional login
The present work focuses on the severe plastic deformation and deformation twinning of 316L austenitic stainless steel deformed at high temperatures (700 and 800 °C) using equal channel angular extrusion (ECAE). Very high tensile and compressive strength levels were obtained after ECAE without sacrificing toughness with relation to microstructural refinement and deformation twinning. The occurrence of deformation twinning at such high temperatures was attributed to the effect of high stress levels on the partial dislocation separation, i.e., effective stacking fault energy. High stress levels were ascribed to the combined effect of dynamic strain aging, high strain levels (∈ ∼ 1.16) and relatively high strain rate (2 s−1). At 800 °C, dynamic recovery and recrystallization took place locally leading to grains with fewer dislocation density and recrystallized grains, which in turn led to lower room temperature flow strengths than those from the samples processed at 700 °C but higher strain hardening rates. Apparent tension-compression asymmetry in the 700 °C sample was found to be the consequence of the directional internal stresses.
This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.1. J.W. Simmons : High-nitrogen alloying of stainless steels. Mater. Sci. Eng. A 207, 159 (1996).
3. I. Karaman , H. Sehitoglu , H.J. Maier and Y.I. Chumlyakov : Competing mechanisms and modeling of deformation in austenitic stainless steel single crystals with and without nitrogen. Acta Mater. 49, 3919 (2001).
5. I. Karaman , H. Sehitoglu , A.J. Beaudoin , H.J. Maier , Y.I. Chumlyakov and C.N. Tome : Modeling the deformation behavior of Hadfield steel single and polycrystals due to twinning and slip. Acta Mater. 48, 2031 (2000).
6. J.W. Christian and S. Mahajan : Deformation twinning. Prog. Mater. Sci. 39, 1 (1995).
7. I. Karaman , H. Sehitoglu , Y.I. Chumlyakov , H.J. Maier and I.V. Kireeva : The Effect of Twinning and Slip on the Bauschinger Effect of Hadfield Steel Single Crystals. Metall. Mater. Trans. A 32, 695 (2001).
8. I. Karaman , H. Sehitoglu , Y.I. Chumlyakov , H.J. Maier and I.V. Kireeva : Extrinsic stacking faults and twinning in Hadfield manganese steel single crystals. Scripta Mater. 44, 337 (2001).
9. I. Karaman , H. Sehitoglu , Y.I. Chumlyakov and H.J. Maier : The Deformation of Low-Stacking-Fault-Energy Austenitic Steels. JOM 54, 31 (2002).
12. I.A. Yakubtsov , A. Ariapour and D.D. Perovic : Effect of nitrogen on stacking fault energy of f.c.c. iron-based alloys. Acta Mater. 47, 1271 (1999).
13. M. Fujita , Y. Kaneko , A. Nohara , H. Saka , R. Zauter and H. Mughrabi : Temperature dependence of the dissociation width of dislocations in a commercial 304L stainless steel. ISIJ Int. 34, 697 (1994).
17. T.S. Byun : On the stress dependence of partial dislocation separation and deformation microstructure in austenitic stainless steels. Acta Mater. 51, 3063 (2003).
18. E.H. Lee , T.S. Byun , J.D. Hunn , M.H. Yoo , K. Farrell and L.K. Mansur : On the origin of deformation microstructure in austenitic stainless steel: part I—microstructures. Acta Mater. 49, 3269 (2001).
20. E.H. Lee , T.S. Byun , J.D. Hunn , K. Farrell and L.K. Mansur : Origin of hardening and deformation mechanisms in irradiated 316 LN austenitic stainless steel. J. Nucl. Mater. 296, 183 (2001).
21. T.S. Byun , K. Farrell , E.H. Lee , J.D. Hunn and L.K. Mansur : Strain hardening and plastic instability properties of austenitic stainless steels after proton and neutron irradiation. J. Nucl. Mater. 298, 269 (2001).
22. R.L. Peng , M. Oden , Y.D. Wang and S. Johansson : Intergranular strains and plastic deformation of an austenitic stainless steel. Mater. Sci. Eng. A. 334, 215 (2002).
23. L.H. Almeida , I.L. May and P.R. Emygdio : Mechanistic Modeling of Dynamic Strain Aging in Austenitic Stainless Steels. Mater. Charac. 41, 137 (1998).
24. E.S. Puchi-Cabrera : High temperature deformation of 316L stainless steel. Mater. Sci. Technol. 17, 155 (2001).
26. K.G. Samuel , S.L. Mannan and P. Rodriguez : Serrated yielding in AISI 316 stainless steel. Acta Metall. 36, 2323 (1988).
27. E.S. Puchi-Cabrera : Mechanical behaviour of 316L stainless steel under warm working conditions. Mater. Sci. Tech. 19, 189 (2003).
28. S. Venugopal , S.N. Mannan and Y.V.R.K. Prasad : Optimization of cold and warm workability in stainless steel type AISI 316L using instability maps. J. Nucl. Mater. 227, 1 (1995).
29. S. Venugopal , S.N. Mannan and Y.V.R.K. Prasad : Processing map for hot-working of stainless-steel type AISI-316L. Mater. Sci. Technol. 9, 899 (1993).
30. K. Tsuzaki , T. Hori , T. Maki and I. Tamura : Dynamic strain aging during fatigue deformation in type 304 austenitic stainless steel. Mater. Sci. Eng. 61, 247 (1983).
31. A.K. Sanchdev and M.M. Shea : Twinning in metastable Fe–Ni–C austenite during elevated temperature deformation. Mater Sci. Eng. 95, 31 (1987).
33. Z. Khan and M. Ahmed : Stress-induced martensitic transformation in metastable austenitic stainless steels: Effect on fatigue crack growth rate. J. Mater. Eng. Perf. 5, 201 (1996).
34. X. Feaugas : On the origin of the tensile flow stress in the stainless steel AISI 316L at 300K: back stress and effective stress. Acta Mater. 47, 3617 (1999).
37. B.P. Kashyap , K. McTaggart and K. Tangri : Study on the substructure evolution and flow behaviour in type 316L stainless steel over the temperature range 21–900°C. Philos. Mag. A 57, 97 (1988).
38. B.P. Kashyap and K. Tangri : On the hall-petch relationship and substructural evolution in type 316L stainless steel. Acta Metall. Mat. 43, 3971 (1995).
39. T.C. Lowe and R.Z. Valiev : Producing Nanoscale Microstructures through Severe Plastic Deformation. JOM 52, 27 (2000).
41. J. Robertson , J-T. Im , I. Karaman , K.T. Hartwig and I.E. Anderson : Consolidation of amorphous copper based powder by equal channel angular extrusion. J. Non-Cryst. Solids 317, 144 (2003).
42. V.M. Segal : Materials processing by simple shear. Mater Sci. Eng. A 197, 157 (1995).
43. J.S. Kallend , U.F. Kocks , A.D. Rollett and R.H. Wenk : Operational texture analysis. Mater. Sci. Eng. A 132, 1 (1991).
44. P. Mullner and C. Solenthaler : On the effect of deformation twinning on defect densities. Mater. Sci. Eng. A. 230, 107 (1997).
45. M.J. Marcinkowski and D.S. Miller : The effect of ordering on the strength and dislocation arrangements in the Ni3Mn superlattice. Philos. Mag. 6, 871 (1961).
46. S.M. Copley and B.H. Kear : The dependence of the width of a dissociated dislocation on dislocation velocity. Acta Metall. 16, 227 (1968).
47. D. Goodchild , W.T. Roberts and D.V. Wilson : Plastic deformation and phase transformation in textured austenitic stainless steel. Acta Metall. 18, 1137 (1970).
49. I. Karaman , H. Sehitoglu , K. Gall and Y.I. Chumlyakov : On the deformation mechanisms in single crystal Hadfield manganese steels. Scripta Mater. 38, 1009 (1998).
50. Y.I. Chumlyakov , I.V. Kireeva , H. Sehitoglu and I. Karaman : Twinning in Hadfield-Steel single crystals. Doklady Phys. 45, 101 (2000).
51. R.M. Latanison and A.W. Ruff : Temperature dependence of stacking fault energy in Fe-Cr-Ni alloys. Metall. Trans. 2, 505 (1971).
52. F. Lecroisey and A. Pineau : Martensitic transformations induced by plastic-deformation in Fe-Ni-Cr system. Metall. Trans. 3, 387 (1972).
53. H.J. Kestenbach : Effect of applied stress on partial dislocation separation and dislocation substructure in austenitic stainless-steel. Phil. Mag. 36, 1509 (1977).
54. S.N. Monteiro and H.J. Kestenbach : Influence of grain orientation on the dislocation substructure in austenitic stainless steel. Metall. Trans. A 6, 938 (1975).
56. G.G. Yapici , I. Karaman , Z.P. Luo and H. Rack : Microstructure and mechanical properties of severely deformed powder processed Ti-6Al-4V using equal channel angular extrusion. Scripta Mater. 49, 1021 (2003).
57. I. Karaman , H.E. Karaca , H.J. Maier and Z.P. Luo : The Effect of Severe Marforming on Shape Memory Characteristics of a Ti-Rich NiTi Alloy Processed Using Equal Channel Angular Extrusion. Metall. Mater. Trans. A 34, 2527 (2003).
58. D.P. DeLo and S.L. Semiatin : Hot Working of Ti-6Al-4V via Equal Channel Angular Extrusion. Metall. Mater. Trans. A 30, 2473 (1999).
60. R.Z. Valiev , R.K. Islamgaliev and I.V. Alexandrov : Bulk nanostructured materials from severe plastic deformation. Prog. Mater. Sci. 45, 103 (2000).
Email your librarian or administrator to recommend adding this journal to your organisation's collection.
- ISSN: 0884-2914
- EISSN: 2044-5326
- URL: /core/journals/journal-of-materials-research
Full text views
Full text views reflects the number of PDF downloads, PDFs sent to Google Drive, Dropbox and Kindle and HTML full text views.
Full text views reflects the number of PDF downloads, PDFs sent to Google Drive, Dropbox and Kindle and HTML full text views.
* Views captured on Cambridge Core between September 2016 - 23rd September 2017. This data will be updated every 24 hours.