This is the case of a man, æt. 56, who, with his wife, was poisoned during sleep by escape of gas from a defective stove. The wife died after an illness of about a fortnight. The man was at first little affected— in fact he went to work the day after the accident. A few days later, however, a condition of progressive stupor set in—he became apathetic, incapable of attending to his work, he lost his memory, and showed no distress at his wife's condition and subsequent death. When admitted to the asylum, three weeks after the accident, he was apparently quite demented, incoherent, turbulent, and dirty in habits. He was pale and tired-looking, with unsteady gait, tremulous tongue, exaggerated knee-jerks, normal plantar reflex, and no disturbance of pupillary reactions or sensation. He was constantly wet, and his bowels were very constipated; there was nothing abnormal in heart, lungs, or urine. He was quite indifferent to his surroundings, his attention could not be fixed, his face was expressionless, and his bearing apathetic. Complete disorientation in space and time was evident, but he seemed to understand what was said to him. In about two months a distinct improvement was noted, his memory began to return, and his habits were no longer faulty; his health also rapidly improved, and his reflexes returned to normal.
Email your librarian or administrator to recommend adding this journal to your organisation's collection.