This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. CL Ogden , MD Carroll , LR Curtin , (2010) Prevalence of high body mass index in US children and adolescents, 2007–2008. JAMA 303, 242–249.
3. RJ Gobel , SM Jensen , H Frokiaer , (2012) Obesity, inflammation and metabolic syndrome in Danish adolescents. Acta Paediatr 101, 192–200.
4. R Weiss , J Dziura , TS Burgert , (2004) Obesity and the metabolic syndrome in children and adolescents. N Engl J Med 350, 2362–2374.
5. N Mattsson , T Ronnemaa , M Juonala , (2008) Childhood predictors of the metabolic syndrome in adulthood. The Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns Study. Ann Med 40, 542–552.
6. GS Berenson , SR Srinivasan , W Bao , (1998) Association between multiple cardiovascular risk factors and atherosclerosis in children and young adults. The Bogalusa Heart Study. N Engl J Med 338, 1650–1656.
8. P Tounian , Y Aggoun , B Dubern , (2001) Presence of increased stiffness of the common carotid artery and endothelial dysfunction in severely obese children: a prospective study. Lancet 358, 1400–1404.
10. LL Moore , MR Singer , ML Bradlee , (2005) Intake of fruits, vegetables, and dairy products in early childhood and subsequent blood pressure change. Epidemiology 16, 4–11.
11. MA Pereira , DR Jacobs Jr, HL Van , (2002) Dairy consumption, obesity, and the insulin resistance syndrome in young adults: the CARDIA Study. JAMA 287, 2081–2089.
13. SM Fluegel , TD Shultz , JR Powers , (2010) Whey beverages decrease blood pressure in prehypertensive and hypertensive young men and women. Int Dairy J 20, 753–760.
14. M Kawase , H Hashimoto , M Hosoda , (2000) Effect of administration of fermented milk containing whey protein concentrate to rats and healthy men on serum lipids and blood pressure. J Dairy Sci 83, 255–263.
15. S Pal & V Ellis (2010) The chronic effects of whey proteins on blood pressure, vascular function, and inflammatory markers in overweight individuals. Obesity (Silver Spring) 18, 1354–1359.
18. T Nakamura , J Mizutani , K Ohki , (2011) Casein hydrolysate containing Val-Pro-Pro and Ile-Pro-Pro improves central blood pressure and arterial stiffness in hypertensive subjects: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Atherosclerosis 219, 298–303.
19. RJ Fitzgerald & H Meisel (2000) Milk protein-derived peptide inhibitors of angiotensin-I-converting enzyme. Br J Nutr 84, Suppl. 1, S33–S37.
22. Q Chen & RA Reimer (2009) Dairy protein and leucine alter GLP-1 release and mRNA of genes involved in intestinal lipid metabolism in vitro. Nutrition 25, 340–349.
23. TJ Cole , MC Bellizzi , KM Flegal , (2000) Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: international survey. BMJ 320, 1240–1243.
24. K Arnberg , A Larnkjaer , KF Michaelsen , (2012) Central adiposity and protein intake are associated with arterial stiffness in overweight children. J Nutr 142, 878–885.
25. K Arnberg , C Molgaard , KF Michaelsen , (2012) Skim milk, whey, and casein increase body weight and whey and casein increase the plasma C-peptide concentration in overweight adolescents. J Nutr 142, 2083–2090.
26. EA Dennis , AL Dengo , DL Comber , (2010) Water consumption increases weight loss during a hypocaloric diet intervention in middle-aged and older adults. Obesity (Silver Spring) 18, 300–307.
28. WA Marshall & JM Tanner (1969) Variations in pattern of pubertal changes in girls. Arch Dis Child 44, 291–303.
29. WA Marshall & JM Tanner (1970) Variations in the pattern of pubertal changes in boys. Arch Dis Child 45, 13–23.
30. CH Chen , E Nevo , B Fetics , (1997) Estimation of central aortic pressure waveform by mathematical transformation of radial tonometry pressure. Validation of generalized transfer function. Circulation 95, 1827–1836.
31. T Weber , J Auer , MF O'Rourke , (2004) Arterial stiffness, wave reflections, and the risk of coronary artery disease. Circulation 109, 184–189.
32. WW Nichols (2005) Clinical measurement of arterial stiffness obtained from noninvasive pressure waveforms. Am J Hypertens 18, 3S–10S.
35. E Agabiti-Rosei , G Mancia , MF O'Rourke , (2007) Central blood pressure measurements and antihypertensive therapy: a consensus document. Hypertension 50, 154–160.
37. AW Haider , MG Larson , SS Franklin , (2003) Systolic blood pressure, diastolic blood pressure, and pulse pressure as predictors of risk for congestive heart failure in the Framingham Heart Study. Ann Intern Med 138, 10–16.
39. YM Lee , T Skurk , M Hennig , (2007) Effect of a milk drink supplemented with whey peptides on blood pressure in patients with mild hypertension. Eur J Nutr 46, 21–27.
40.National High Blood Pressure Education Program Working Group on High Blood Pressure in Children and Adolescents (2004) The fourth report on the diagnosis, evaluation, and treatment of high blood pressure in children and adolescents. Pediatrics 114, 555–576.
41. T Jauhiainen , M Ronnback , H Vapaatalo , (2010) Long-term intervention with Lactobacillus helveticus fermented milk reduces augmentation index in hypertensive subjects. Eur J Clin Nutr 64, 424–431.
42. DJ Baer , KS Stote , DR Paul , (2011) Whey protein but not soy protein supplementation alters body weight and composition in free-living overweight and obese adults. J Nutr 141, 1489–1494.
43. J Cadogan , R Eastell , N Jones , (1997) Milk intake and bone mineral acquisition in adolescent girls: randomised, controlled intervention trial. BMJ 315, 1255–1260.
44. GM Chan , K Hoffman & M McMurry (1995) Effects of dairy products on bone and body composition in pubertal girls. J Pediatr 126, 551–556.
45. JM Lappe , KA Rafferty , KM Davies , (2004) Girls on a high-calcium diet gain weight at the same rate as girls on a normal diet: a pilot study. J Am Diet Assoc 104, 1361–1367.
46. MJ Merrilees , EJ Smart , NL Gilchrist , (2000) Effects of dairy food supplements on bone mineral density in teenage girls. Eur J Nutr 39, 256–262.
49. MS Westerterp-Plantenga , V Rolland , SA Wilson , (1999) Satiety related to 24 h diet-induced thermogenesis during high protein/carbohydrate vs high fat diets measured in a respiration chamber. Eur J Clin Nutr 53, 495–502.
50. AR Skov , S Toubro , B Ronn , (1999) Randomized trial on protein vs carbohydrate in ad libitum fat reduced diet for the treatment of obesity. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 23, 528–536.
51. H Makynen , M Kahonen , X Wu , (1996) Endothelial function in deoxycorticosterone-NaCl hypertension: effect of calcium supplementation. Circulation 93, 1000–1008.
53. IR Reid , B Mason , A Horne , (2002) Effects of calcium supplementation on serum lipid concentrations in normal older women: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Med 112, 343–347.
54. SL Hummel , EM Seymour , RD Brook , (2012) Low-sodium Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension diet reduces blood pressure, arterial stiffness, and oxidative stress in hypertensive heart failure with preserved ejection fraction. Hypertension 60, 1200–1206.
55. EM Mervaala , J Laakso , H Vapaatalo , (1994) Improvement of cardiovascular effects of metoprolol by replacement of common salt with a potassium- and magnesium-enriched salt alternative. Br J Pharmacol 112, 640–648.