This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. JH Crandon , CC Lund & DB Dill (1940) Experimental human scurvy. N Engl J Med 223, 353–369.
4. J Rucklidge , M Taylor & K Whitehead (2011) Effect of micronutrients on behavior and mood in adults with ADHD: evidence from an 8-week open label trial with natural extension. J Atten Disord 15, 79–91.
5. BJ Kaplan , JS Simpson , RC Ferre , (2001) Effective mood stabilization with a chelated mineral supplement: an open-label trial in bipolar disorder. J Clin Psychiatry 62, 936–944.
7. DO Kennedy , R Veasey , A Watson , (2010) Effects of high-dose B vitamin complex with vitamin C and minerals on subjective mood and performance in healthy males. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 211, 55–68.
8. DO Kennedy , RC Veasey , AW Watson , (2011) Vitamins and psychological functioning: a mobile phone assessment of the effects of a B vitamin complex, vitamin C and minerals on cognitive performance and subjective mood and energy. Hum Psychopharmacol 26, 338–347.
9. D Carroll , C Ring , M Suter , (2000) The effects of an oral multivitamin combination with calcium, magnesium, and zinc on psychological well-being in healthy young male volunteers: a double-blind placebo-controlled trial. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 150, 220–225.
10. D Benton , J Haller & J Fordy (1995) Vitamin supplementation for 1 year improves mood. Neuropsychobiology 32, 98–105.
11. G Block , E Norkus , M Hudes , (2001) Which plasma antioxidants are most related to fruit and vegetable consumption? Am J Epidemiol 154, 1113–1118.
13. JA Piqueras , W Kuhne , P Vera-Villarroel , (2011) Happiness and health behaviours in Chilean college students: a cross-sectional survey. BMC Public Health 11, 443.
14. BA White , CC Horwath & TS Conner (2013) Many apples a day keep the blues away – daily experiences of negative and positive affect and food consumption in young adults. Br J Health Psychol (epublication ahead of print version 24 January 2013).
16. I Nishiyama , Y Yamashita , M Yamanaka , (2004) Varietal difference in vitamin C content in the fruit of kiwifruit and other Actinidia species. J Agric Food Chem 52, 5472–5475.
18. BJ Kaplan , SG Crawford , CJ Field , (2007) Vitamins, minerals, and mood. Psychol Bull 133, 747–760.
20. Y Milaneschi , S Bandinelli , BW Penninx , (2012) The relationship between plasma carotenoids and depressive symptoms in older persons. World J Biol Psychiatry 13, 588–598.
22. AC Carr , JM Pullar , S Moran , (2012) Bioavailability of vitamin C from kiwifruit in non-smoking males: determination of ‘healthy’ and ‘optimal’ intakes. J Nutr Sci 1, e14.
25. M Berk , KM Sanders , JA Pasco , (2007) Vitamin D deficiency may play a role in depression. Med Hypotheses 69, 1316–1319.
26. M Zhang , L Robitaille , S Eintracht , (2011) Vitamin C provision improves mood in acutely hospitalized patients. Nutrition 27, 530–533.
27. Z Maunsell , DJ Wright & SJ Rainbow (2005) Routine isotope-dilution liquid chromatography–tandem mass spectrometry assay for simultaneous measurement of the 25-hydroxy metabolites of vitamins D2 and D3. Clin Chem 51, 1683–1690.
34. CH Yeom , GC Jung & KJ Song (2007) Changes of terminal cancer patients' health-related quality of life after high dose vitamin C administration. J Korean Med Sci 22, 7–11.
35. CJ Huck , CS Johnston , BL Beezhold , (2012) Vitamin C status and perception of effort during exercise in obese adults adhering to a calorie-reduced diet. Nutrition 29, 42–45.
36. R Evans-Olders , S Eintracht & LJ Hoffer (2010) Metabolic origin of hypovitaminosis C in acutely hospitalized patients. Nutrition 26, 1070–1074.
37. G Milner (1963) Ascorbic acid in chronic psychiatric patients – a controlled trial. Br J Psychiatry 109, 294–299.
39. S Brody (2002) High-dose ascorbic acid increases intercourse frequency and improves mood: a randomized controlled clinical trial. Biol Psychiatry 52, 371–374.
44. GV Rebec & RC Pierce (1994) A vitamin as neuromodulator: ascorbate release into the extracellular fluid of the brain regulates dopaminergic and glutamatergic transmission. Prog Neurobiol 43, 537–565.
49. JM May , ZC Qu & ME Meredith (2012) Mechanisms of ascorbic acid stimulation of norepinephrine synthesis in neuronal cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 426, 148–152.
52. MR Luck & B Jungclas (1987) Catecholamines and ascorbic acid as stimulators of bovine ovarian oxytocin secretion. J Endocrinol 114, 423–430.
53. WW Ishak , M Kahloon & H Fakhry (2011) Oxytocin role in enhancing well-being: a literature review. J Affect Disord 130, 1–9.
59. I Nishiyama , T Fukuda & T Oota (2005) Genotypic differences in chlorophyll, lutein, and β-carotene contents in the fruits of Actinidia species. J Agric Food Chem 53, 6403–6407.