Hostname: page-component-5d59c44645-l48q4 Total loading time: 0 Render date: 2024-02-26T14:30:13.920Z Has data issue: false hasContentIssue false

Norwegian-British-Swedish Antarctic Expedition, 1949–52

Published online by Cambridge University Press:  27 October 2009


After loading stores at Göteborg and Oslo, the expedition sailed from London on 23 November 1949 in the chartered Norwegian sealing vessel Norsel, G. Jakobsen, master. After calling at Cape Town, where P. G. Law of the Australian Department of External Affairs and J. A. King of the Union Weather Bureau of South Africa joined the vessel as observers, the Norsel headed south on 27 December to meet the Norwegian whaling factory Thorshovdi, which was carrying an advanced party of five men, with sixty dogs and some heavy equipment. An unexpectedly wide detour had to be made across the South Atlantic as the Thorshevdi was at that time in the Scotia Sea.

Copyright © Cambridge University Press 1953

Access options

Get access to the full version of this content by using one of the access options below. (Log in options will check for institutional or personal access. Content may require purchase if you do not have access.)


page 608 note 2 Eighteen (not fifteen as previously reported) had died of an unidentified disease. See the Polar Record, Vol. 5, No. 30, 1950, p. 466Google Scholar.

page 608 note 3 A detailed description of the base is given on p. 617–30.

page 609 note 1 A note on the trail markers used by the expedition is given on p. 690.

page 615 note 1 Killed in accident on 23 February 1951.

page 615 note 2 Joined wintering party in January 1951.

page 615 note 3 Returned home in February 1950, replaced by J. Snarby.

page 615 note 4 Returned home in January 1951.

page 616 note 1 Killed in accident on 23 February 1951.

page 616 note 2 Joined wintering party in February 1950.

page 616 note 3 Left expedition at Cape Town owing to illness in December 1951.

page 616 note 4 Joined expedition at Cape Town in December 1951.