This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
4. S Galea , CR Brewin , M Gruber , et al. Exposure to hurricane-related stressors and mental illness after Hurricane Katrina. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2007;64(12):1427-1434.
5. FH Norris , MJ Friedman , PJ Watson , CM Byrne , E Diaz , K Kaniasty . 60,000 disaster victims speak: Part I. An empirical review of the empirical literature, 1981-2001. Psychiatry. 2002;65(3):207-239.
6. FH Norris , MJ Friedman , PJ Watson . 60,000 disaster victims speak: Part II. Summary and implications of the disaster mental health research. Psychiatry. 2002;65(3):240-260.
7. J Briere , D Elliott . Prevalence, characteristics, and long-term sequelae of natural disaster exposure in the general population. J Trauma Stress. 2000;13(4):661-679.
8. WA Choudhury , FA Quraishi , Z Haque . Mental health and psychosocial aspects of disaster preparedness in Bangladesh. Int Rev Psychiatry. 2006;18(6):529-535.
10. SE Hobfoll . Conservation of resources. A new attempt at conceptualizing stress. Am Psychol. 1989;44(3):513-524.
12. E Wiesenfeld , R Panza . Environmental hazards and home loss: the social construction of becoming homeless. Community, Work & Family. 1999;2(1):51-65.
13. TR Wind , IH Komproe . The mechanisms that associate community social capital with disaster mental health: a multilevel model. Soc Sci Med. 2012;75(9):1715-1720.
14. JR Freedy , DL Shaw , MP Jarell , CR Masters . Towards an understanding of the psychological impact of natural disaster: an application of the conservation of resources model. J Trauma Stress. 1992;5(3):441-454.
15. JR Freedy , ME Saladin , DG Kilpatrick , HS Resnick , BE Saunders . Understanding acute psychological distress following natural disaster. J Trauma Stress. 1994;7(2):257-273.
16. DN Sattler , AJ Preston , CF Kaiser , VE Olivera , J Valdez , S Schlueter . Hurricane Georges: a cross-national study examining preparedness, resource loss, and psychological distress in the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, and the United States. J Trauma Stress. 2002;15(5):339-350.
17. AV Horwitz . Transforming normality into pathology: the DSM and the outcomes of stressful social arrangements. J Health Soc Behav. 2007;48(3):211-222.
18. CF Weems , SE Watts , MA Marsee . The psychosocial impact of Hurricane Katrina. Behav Res and Ther. 2007;45(10):2295-2306.
21. WE Narrow , DS Rae , LN Robins , DA Regier . Revised prevalence estimates of mental disorders in the United States: using a clinical significance criterion to reconcile 2 surveys’ estimates. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2002;59(2):115-123.
22. LR Derogatis , RS Lipman , K Rickels , EH Uhlenhuth , L Covi . The Hopkins Symptom Checklist (HSCL): a self-report symptom inventory. Behav Sci. 1974;19(1):1-15.
23. RS Lipman , L Covi , AK Shapiro . The Hopkins Symptom Checklist (HSCL) - factors derived from the HSCL-90. J Affect Disord. 1979;1(1):9-24.
24. A Winokur , DF Winokur , K Rickels , DS Cox . Symptoms of emotional distress in a family planning service: stability over a four-week period. Br J Psychiatry. 1984;144(4):395-399.
26. P Ventevogel , G de Vries , WF Scholte , et al. Properties of the Hopkins Symptom Checklist-25 (HSCL-25) and the Self-Reporting Questionnaire (SRQ-20) as screening instruments used in primary care in Afghanistan. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2007;42(2):328-335.
27. A Crescenzi , E Ketzer , M van Ommeren , K Phuntsok , I Komproe , JT de Jong . Effect of political imprisonment and trauma history on recent Tibetan refugees in India. J Trauma Stress. 2002;15(5):369-375.
28. SB Thapa , E Hauff . Psychological distress among displaced persons during an armed conflict in Nepal. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2005;40(8):672-679.
29. R Souza , S Bernatsky , R Reyes , K de Jong . Mental health status of vulnerable tsunami-affected communities: a survey in Aceh Province, Indonesia. J Trauma Stress. 2007;20(3):263-269.
30. RF Mollica , BL Cardozo , HJ Osofsky , B Raphael , A Ager , P Salama . Mental health in complex emergencies. Lancet. 2004;364(9450):2058-2067.
31. JE Ware Jr., B Gandek , M Kosinski , et al. The equivalence of SF-36 summary health scores estimated using standard and country-specific algorithms in 10 countries: results from the IQOLA Project. International quality of life assessment. J Clin Epidemiol. 1998;51(11):1167-1170.
33.World Medical Association Declaration of Helsinki: Recommendations guiding physicians in biomedical research involving human subjects. JAMA. 1997;277(11):925-926.
34. J Cohen . Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum; 1988.
35. BG Knight , M Gatz , K Heller , VL Bengtson . Age and emotional response to the Northridge earthquake: a longitudinal analysis. Psychol Aging. 2000;15(4):627-634.
36. F Van Griensven , MLS Chakkraband , W Thienkrua , et al. Mental health problems among adults in tsunami-affected areas in southern Thailand. JAMA. 2006;296(5):537-548.
40. SE Hobfoll , P Watson , CC Bell , et al. Five essential elements of immediate and mid-term mass trauma intervention: empirical evidence. Psychiatry. 2007;70(4):283-315.
42. SA Esdaile , KM Greenwood . A comparison of mothers’ and fathers’ experience of parenting stress and attributions for parent child interaction outcomes. Occup Ther Int. 2003;10(2):115-116.
41. KE Miller , M Kulkarni , H Kushner . Beyond trauma-focused psychiatric epidemiology: bridging research and practice with war-affected populations. Am J Orthopsychiatry. 2006;76(4):409-422.
TR Wind , PC Joshi , RJ Kleber , IH Komproe . The impact of recurrent disasters on mental health: a study on seasonal floods in northern India. Prehosp Disaster Med. 2013;28(3):1-7