1. Sanders, AB, Criss, E, Steckl, P et al. : An analysis of medical care at mass gatherings. Ann Emerg Med 1956;15:515–519.
2. Rose, WD, Larid, SL, Prescott, JE et al. : Emergency medical services for collegiate football games: A six and one—half year review. Prehospital and Disaster Medicine 1992;7:157–159.
3. Chused, TM, Cohn, CK, Schneider, E et al. : Medical care during the 1969 antiwar demonstrations in Washington, DC. Arch Int Med 1971;127:67–70.
4. Farrow, RJ: Pop music festivals. Practitioner 1972;208:380–386.
5. Franaszek, J: Medical care at mass gatherings. Ann Emerg Med 1986;15:600–601. Editorial.
6. Whipkey, RR, Paris, PM, Steward, RD: Emergency care for mass gatherings. Postgrad Med 1984;76:44–47,50-51,54.
7. Spaite, DW, Criss, EA, Valenzuela, TD et al. : A new model for prehospital medical care in large stadiums. Ann Emerg Med 1988;17:825–828.
8. Weaver, WD, Sutherland, K, Wirkus, MJ et al. : Emergency medical care requirements for large public assemblies and a new strategy for managing cardiac arrest in this setting. Ann Emerg Med 1989;18:155–160.
9. Hnatow, DA, Gordon, DJ: Medical planning for mass gatherings: A retrospective review of the San Antonio Papal Mass. Prehospital and Disaster Medicine 1991;6:443–450.
10. De Lorenzo, RA, Gray, BC, Bennett, PC et al. : Effect of crowd size on patient volume at a large, multipurpose, indoor stadium. J Emerg Med 1989;7:379–384.
11. Pons, PT, Holland, B, Alfrey, E et al. : An advanced emergency medical care system at National Football League games. Ann Emerg Med 1980;4:203–206.
12. Auerbach, P, Gelb, A, Turns, JE: Emergency medical services at the 1984 Democratic National Convention. Ann Emerg Med 1985;7:709–710. Letter.
13. Boyle, MF, De Lorenzo, RA, Garrison, R: Physician integration into mass gathering medical care. Prehospital and Disaster Medicine 1993;8:165–168.
14. Baker, WM, Simone, BM Niemann, JT et al. : Special event medical care: The 1984 Los Angeles Summer Olympics experience. Ann Emerg Med 1986;15:185–190.
15. McSwain, NE Jr, Rodriguez, C: Disaster medical care: Mardi Gras. J Trauma 1982;22:235–237.
16. Bock, HC, Cordell, WH, Hawk, AC et al. : Demographics of emergency medical care at the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race (1983–1990). Ann Emerg Med 1992;21:1204–1207.
17. De Lorenzo, RA, Johnston, R: On the ground with the U.S. Air Show. Journal of Emergency Medical Services 1994;12:69–74.
18. Goldstein, SN: Presidential party. Emergency Medical Services 1993;11:65–69.
19. Eadie, JL: 1980 Winter Olympics Lake Placid, New York. J Environ Health 1981;43:178–187.
20. Loyd, C: Emergency medical services for large crowds. In: Lewis, G, Appenzeller, H (Eds). Successful Sports Management. Charlottesville, VA: The Michie Co., 1985, pp 89–99.
21. Carlson, L: Spectator medical care. Physician Sports Med 1992;20:141–144.
22. Weiss, BP, Mascola, L, Fannin, SL: Public health at the 1984 Summer Olympics: The Los Angeles County Experience. Am J Public Health 1988;78:686–688.
23. Leonard, RB, Petrilli, R, Noji, EK et al. : Provision for emergency medical care for crowds. American College of Emergency Physicians, Dallas, TX 1990, pp 1–25.
24. Sanders, AB, Criss, E: Planning medical care for large-scale events. Emergency Medical Services 1987;16:33,48.
25. Cohen, DL, Montalvo, MA, Turnbull, GP: Medical support for a major military air show: The RAF Mildenhall medical emergency support plan. J Trauma 1994;36:237–244.
26. Ouanian, LL, Salinas, C, Shear, CL et al. : Medical care at the 1982 U.S. Festival. Ann Emerg Med 1986;15:520–527.
27. McDonald, CD, Koenigsberg, MD, Ward, S: Medical control of mass gatherings: Can paramedics perform without physicians on site? Prehospital and Disaster Medicine 1992;8:327–331.
28. Erickson, TB, Aks, SE, Koenigsberg, M et al. : Drug use patterns at major rock concert events. Ann Emerg Med 1996;28:22–26.
29. Streat, S, McCallum, JA, Boswell, R et al. : Medical services at a music festival. NZ J Med 1975;82:76–80.
30. Thompson, JM, Savoia, G, Powell, G et al. : Level of medical care required for mass gatherings: The XV Winter Olympic Games in Calgary, Canada. Ann Emerg Med 1991;20:385–390.
31. Flabouris, A: An analysis of demand for first-aid care at a major public event. Prehospital and Disaster Medicine 1996;11:48–51.
32. Hewitt, S, Jarrett, L, Winter, B: Emergency medicine at a large rock festival. J Accid Emerg Med 1996;13:26–27.
33. Vacalis, TD, Blewett, J: Advanced emergency medical care system at the University of Texas football stadium. J Am Coll Health Assoc 1981;30:145–147.
34. Ma, OJ, Pirrallo, RG, Rubin, JM: Survey of medical services a major league baseball stadiums. Prehospital and Disaster Medicine 1995;10:268–272.
35. De Lorenzo, RA: Can casualty rates be predicted? Sidebar accompanying De Lorenzo RA, Johnston R: On the ground with the U.S. Air Show. Journal of Emergency Medical Services 1994;12:69–74.
36. Editorial Staff: Mass casualty: Pope's visit to Denver causes mega MCI. Journal of Emergency Medical Services 1993;11:64–69,72–75.
37. Nordberg, M: EMS and mass gatherings. Emergency Medical Services 1990;19:46–61,91.
38. Bowdish, GE, Cordell, WH, Bock, HC et al. : Using regression analysis to predict emergency patient volume at the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race. Ann Emerg Med 1992;21:1200–1203.
39. Chapman, KR, Carmichael, FJ, Goode, JE: Medical services for outdoor rock music festivals. Can Med Assoc J 1982;126:935–938.
40. Blandford, AG, Dunlop, HA: Glastonbury Fair. Practitioner 1972;209:205–211.
41. Burns, RS, Lerner, SE, Sexton, PA: Emergency medicine at Diamond Head Crater Festival. Hawaii Med J 1974;33:331–335.
42. Fulde, GWO, Forster, SL, Preisz, : Open air rock concert: Organised disaster. Med J Australia 1992;157:820–822.
43. Richards, R, Richards, D, Whittaker, R: Method of predicting the number of casualties in the Sidney City-to-Surf Fun Runs. Med J Australia 1984;141:805–808.
44. Ellis, DG, Verdile, VP, Paris, PM et al. : Medical coverage of a marathon: Establishing guidelines for deployment of health care resources. Prehospital and Disaster Medicine 1991;6:435–441.
45. Gannon, DM, Derse, AR, Bronkema, PJ: The emergency care network of a ski marathon. Am J Sports Med 1985;13:316–320.
46. Reddy, IS, Cusack, S: Emergency medicine at a large rock festival. J Accid Emerg Med 1996;13:303.
47. James, SH, Calendrillo, B, Schnoll, SH; Medical and toxicological aspects of the Watkins Glen Rock Concert. J Forensic Sci 1974;1:71–82.
48. Sexton, PA, Burns, SR, Lerner, SE: Drug abuse may be declining. Sunshine '75: Rock medicine inside Diamond Head. Hawaii Med J 1975;34:271–275.
49. Steele, AG: Emergency medical care for open wheel racing events at Indianapolis Raceway Park. Ann Emerg Med 1994;24:264–268.
50. Laskowski, ER, Najarian, MM, Smith, AM et al. : Medical coverage for multievent sports competition: A comprehensive analysis of injuries in the 1994 Star of the North summer games. Mayo Clin Proc 1995;70:549–555.
51. Janicke, DM, Jacob, DJ, La Fountain, RB et al. : Emergency medical care in athlete's village: World University Games 1993. Prehospital and Disaster Medicine 1995;10:113–117.
52. Dyche, WJ, Felsen, D, Gay, JH: Organizing medical services for large groups in field situations. EMT Journal 1980;4:43–49.
53. Kulp, RC: Preparing prehospital medical coverage for a Papal visit. Emerg Health Svces Q 1980;1:111–127.
54. Parrillo, SJ: Medical care at mass gatherings: Considerations for physician involvement. Prehospital and Disaster Medicine 1995;10:273–275.
55. Vukmir, RB, Paris, PM: The Three Rivers Regatta accident: An EMS perspective. Am J Emerg Med 1991;9:64–71.
56. Milne, D: EMS at the Indy 500. Emergency 1983;15:28–31.
57. Orr, SM, Robinson, WA: The Hyatt Regency Skywalk: An EMS-based disaster response. Ann Emerg Med 1983;12:601–605.
58. Waeckerle, JF: Disaster planning and response. N Engl J Med 1991;324:815–821.
59. Champion, MR, Sacco, WJ, Gainer, PS et al. : The effect of medical direction on trauma triage. J Trauma 1988;28:235–239.
60. Brunko, M: Emergency physicians and special events. J Emerg Med 1989;7:405–406. Editorial.
61. Goldman, B: Spectator events: Medical preparations a must. CMA, 1988;138:164–165.
62. Brown, WE: EMS at the Indianapolis 500. Emergency Medical Services 1978;7:12–23.
63. Krentz, MJ, Wainscott, MP: Medical accountability. Emerg Med Clin N Amer 1990;8:17–32.
64. Frew, SA: Emergency medical services legal issues for the emergency physician. Emerg Med Clin N Amer 1990;8:41–55.
65. Goldberg, RJ, Zautcke, JL, Koenigsberg, MD et al. : A review of prehospital care litigation in a large metropolitan EMS system. Ann Emerg Med 1990;19:557–561.
66. Soler, JJ, Montes, MF, Egol, AB et al. : The ten-year malpractice experience of a large urban EMS system. Ann Emerg Med 1985;14:982–985.
67. Editorial staff: Nontransport lawsuits. Journal of Emergency Medical Services 1983;8:107–109.
68. Zehner, WJ Jr, Davidson, SJ, Kelly, JJ et al. : Nontransport of prehospital patients: Is stronger medical control needed? Ann Emerg Med 1991;20:446. Abstract.
69. Bryon, ED, Zachariah, BS, Griffin, MP: Outcome of patients not transported by ambulance. Prehospital and Disaster Medicine 1991;6:381. Abstract.
70. Thomas, DR, Amos, WL: Medical services provided at the 1982 Southern Open Golf Tournament. Am J Sports Med 1984;12:155–158.
71. American College of Emergency Physicians. Core content for emergency medicine. Ann Emerg Med 1991;20:920–934.
72. De Lorenzo, RA, Boyle, MF, Garrison, F: A proposed model for a residency experience in mass gathering medicine: The United States Air Show. Ann Emerg Med 1993;22:1711–1714.
73. Seletz, JM: Flugtag–88 (Ramstein Air Show Disaster): An Army response to a MASCAL. Milit Med 1990;155:152–155.
74. Anonymous: Stampede kills 93, injures 200 at stadium in Great Britain. Emerg Preparedness News 1989;13:61.
75. Klem, TJ: How could this fire cause 56 deaths in 5 minutes? Fire Command 1986;53:21–25.
76. Isner, MS; Stadium fires demonstrate unique protection problems. NFPA J 1994;88:49–54.
77. Newburn, T: Some lessons from Hillsborough. Civil Protection 1993;27(Summer):6–8.
78. Drabek, TE: Disaster in aisle 13: A case study of the coliseum explosion; at the Indiana State Fairgrounds, 31 October 1963. College of Administrative Science monograph No. D1, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, 1968, p 197.