This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. MS Kramer (2010) ‘Breast is best’: The evidence. Early Hum Dev 86, 729–732.
4. MS Fewtrell , K Kennedy , A Singhal (2008) How much loss to follow-up is acceptable in long-term randomised trials and prospective studies? Arch Dis Child 93, 458–461.
5. J Juhola , CG Magnussen , JS Viikari (2011) Tracking of serum lipid levels, blood pressure, and body mass index from childhood to adulthood: the cardiovascular risk in young Finns study. J Pediatr (Epublication ahead of print version).
6. VJ Flaherman , AT Chien , CE McCulloch (2011) Breastfeeding rates differ significantly by method used: a cause for concern for public health measurement. Breast feed Med 6, 31–35.
9. A Lucas , SM Gore , TJ Cole (1984) A multicentre trial on the feeding of low birthweight infants: Effects of diet on early growth. Arch Dis Childhood 59, 722–730.
10. MS Kramer , B Chalmers , ED Hodnett (2001) Promotion of Breastfeeding Intervention Trial (PROBIT): A randomised trial in the Republic of Belarus. J. Am. Med. Assoc. 285, 413–420.
12. A Singhal , TJ Cole & A Lucas (2001) Early nutrition in preterm infants and later blood pressure: two cohorts after randomised trials. Lancet 357, 413–419.
15. DS Lewis , HA Bertrand , CA McMahan (1986) Preweaning food intake influences the adiposity of young adult baboons. J Clin Invest 78, 899–905.
18. A Lucas & R Morley (1994) Does early nutrition in infants born before term programme later blood pressure? Br Med J 309, 304–308.
19. A Singhal , TJ Cole , M Fewtrell (2004) Breastmilk feeding and lipoprotein profile in adolescents born preterm: follow-up of a prospective randomised study. Lancet 363, 1571–1578.
20. I Holme (1990) An analysis of randomized trials evaluating the effect of cholesterol reduction on total mortality and coronary heart disease incidence. Circulation 82, 1916–1924.
21. MR Law , NJ Wald & SG Thompson (1994) By how much and how quickly does reduction in serum cholesterol concentration lower risk of ischaemic heart disease? Br Med J 308, 367–373.
22. AL Gould , JE Rossouw , NC Santanello (1995) Cholesterol reduction yields clinical benefit: a new look at old data. Circulation 91, 2274–2282.
23. MS Fewtrell , A Prentice , SC Jones (1999) Bone mineralisation and turnover in preterm infants at 8–12 years of age; the effects of early diet. J Bone Miner Res 14, 810–820.
24. MS Fewtrell , JE Williams , A Singhal (2009) Early diet and peak bone mass: 20 year follow-up of a randomised trial of early diet in infants born preterm. Bone 45, 142–149.
26. A Singhal & A Lucas (2004) Early origins of cardiovascular disease: is there a unifying hypothesis? Lancet 363, 1642–1645.
27. NB Metcalfe & P Monaghan (2001) Compensation for a bad start: grow now, pay later? Trends Ecol Evol 16, 254–260.
28. POA Monteiro & CG Victora (2005) Rapid growth in infancy and childhood and obesity in later life – a systematic review. Obes Rev 6, 143–154.
29. KK Ong & RJF Loos (2006) Rapid infancy weight gain and subsequent obesity: systematic reviews and hopeful suggestions. Acta Paediatr 95, 904–908.
30. N Stettler (2007) Nature and strength of epidemiological evidence for origins of childhood and adult obesity in the first year of life. Int J Obes 31, 1035–1043.
31. A Singhal , TJ Cole , M Fewtrell (2007) Promotion of faster weight gain in infants born small for gestational age: is there an adverse effect on later blood pressure? Circulation 115, 213–220.
32. Y Ben-Shlomo , A McCarthy , R Highes (2008) Immediate postnatal growth is associated with blood pressure in young adulthood: the Barry Caerphilly Growth Study. Hypertension 52, 638–644.
33. A Singhal , M Fewtrell , TJ Cole (2003) Low nutrient intake and early growth for later insulin resistance in adolescents born preterm. Lancet 361, 1089–9734.
34. DB Dunger , B Salgin & KK Ong (2007) Early nutrition and later health: early developmental pathways of obesity and diabetes risk. Proc Nutr Soc 66, 451–457.
35. N Soto , RA Bazes , V Pena (2003) Insulin sensitivity and secretion are related to catch-up growth in small for gestational age infants at age 1 year: results from a prospective cohort. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88, 3645–3650.
36. A Singhal , TJ Cole , M Fewtrell (2004) Is slower early growth beneficial for long-term cardiovascular health? Circulation 109, 1108–1113.
37. A Oren , LE Vos , CS Uiterwaal (2004) Birth weight and carotid intima-media thickness: new perspectives from the atherosclerosis risk in young adults (ARYA) study. Ann Epidemiol 14, 8–16.
39. B Koletzko , R von Kries , R Closa (2009) Lower protein in infant formula is associated with lower weight up to age 2 y: a randomized clinical trial. Am J Clin Nutr 89, 36–45.
40. A Singhal , K Kennedy , J Lanigan (2010) Nutrition in infancy and long-term risk of obesity: evidence from 2 randomized controlled trials. Am J Clin Nutr 92, 33–44.
41. J Lanigan & A Singhal (2009) Nutrition and long-term health: a practical approach. Proc Nutr Soc 68, 422–429.